News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: Planning My Trip to Scotland 2015 - Opinions Welcome
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
Garrett,

All decent suggestions so far, so a few random thoughts...

Play Castle Stuart or head inland for Boat of Garten instead of Nairn. CS is for me a better course, as Sheehy says check Ran's review, and BoG offers the chance to see ospreys at Loch Garten as well as the outside chance of crossbills and crested tits (though not seen these myself) for your wife on the bird watching front.

Dont miss Brora. The golf is not to be missed, and your wife can see arctic terns up close as they tend to nest along the shore and will dive bomb you if any errant drives get close to them. Additionally head further up the coast and head up the Strath of Kildonan (up the river Helmsdale) were we spotted golden eagle last year as well as black throated diver on the loch near Forsinard.

A little away from your existing itinerary but a trip to the outer hebrides would be ideal? You can play Askernish and Harris whilst your wife gets to see a good number of birds of prey. On our trip a few year ago now we spotted, sea eagle, golden eagle, marsh harrier, peregrine falcon, kestrel, sparrowhawk and merlin but in all honesty any of the west coast / highlands of Scotland is good for raptors.

Keep your wife happy on this trip and many more trips to Scotland will follow!  8)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Steve Wilson

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
You will have time for golf on the day you drive from St. Andrews to Tain.  Candidates include Tain, Brora, Fortrose and Rosemarkie, and Golspie.

I presume you are going to use the afternoon following your Dornoch round as well.  The same candidates step forward and volunteer.  Brora is the highest quality and the other three belong to the off the beaten path but still high quality golf courses.  It's high summer which means more daylight than you can probably fill up, but you can sure make the effort.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
Look up Dunrobin Castle just north of Dornoch. It's spectacular and there is a falconry show.

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
"there is a falconry show"

Yes, the falconry show at Dunrobin Castle is excellent.

John Percival

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Garrett,
Highly recommend Kingbarns and UNhighly recommend Castle. While both are along the coast and offer great views and terrain, the greens at Castle are so over the top as to diminish the experience. And we played there in relatively good weather. Would be very taxing in a firm breeze. KB is just terrific.
As far as birds, Laura and I flew hawks at Gleneagles. Had em perched on our arms and watched em fly away...AND THEN BACK. The first time they come at you with those wings braking and talons out is one serious rush. One of the great experiences for anyone, but especially a bird enthusiast.

Garrett McKnight

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
All:

Thank you very much for all the great info and insights. Based on many of the comments, I'd be a dummy to skip Brora.

Please keep the thoughts coming. I'll make sure to recap the visit next summer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »
Gullane 1 is vastly overrated for the price.

You are doing serious time in the car to visit 3 distinct golf areas in your second 9 days. Personally to make Dornoch and Brora I'd miss the east coast return and visit Boat of Garten and Blairgowrie for some of the best inland golf in Scotland, great opportunities to see eagles and wonderful scenery on the way to East Lothian.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
Mark Chaplin raises a good point. To make the drive up to Dornoch and play just one or two courses in that area before heading to the northeast corner of Scotland seems like a mistake to me.

If you play Royal Dornoch once, you will want to play it again. Include rounds at Brora, Golspie and Tain as well as Nairn and/or Castle Stuart. Stopping off at Boat of Garten is a good choice when driving north or south on the A9 highway.

Save Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh, etc. for another visit.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Messrs. Chaplin and Tepper and would have raised this point in my earlier post if not for the statement at the start that, "Tee times are booked" for Week #2.  Still, if you can make only one change, I agree with the many who've already recommended squeezing in Brora somehow, someway.  It's a 30-minute drive from Royal Dornoch and you'll drive right past Dunrobin Castle along the way, where you can take in the falconry exhibit - it is great - on what will be a very fully day!

Bill Crane

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Mark Chaplin raises a good point. To make the drive up to Dornoch and play just one or two courses in that area before heading to the northeast corner of Scotland seems like a mistake to me.

If you play Royal Dornoch once, you will want to play it again. Include rounds at Brora, Golspie and Tain as well as Nairn and/or Castle Stuart. Stopping off at Boat of Garten is a good choice when driving north or south on the A9 highway.

Save Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh, etc. for another visit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would also agree with David Tepper and Mark Chaplin.  In fact, I played Dornoch with them.

My wife and I went to Scotland for our 25th wedding anniversary September 2013 and I ended up playing:  Eden, Jubilee, St Andrews Old, Crail Balcomie, Golspie,  Royal Dornoch (4 rounds), Brora, Cruden Bay and North Berwick.  They were all good – including Eden other than four holes.

I planned to play multiple rounds at Dornoch based upon what I had read and heard from friends, and it occurred to me that as Donald Ross' home course growing up Dornoch may be the Scottish course that affected (good!) golf architecture in the United States the most.  When I came home I raved about the course and area so much that three friends made the trip last year, and one joined the club!

If you are in the highlands Brora is a special golf experience and not to be missed.  Say hello to the heifer that my wife hit on the first hole.  

Golspie was probably the biggest surprise – a very fun golf course in a beautiful setting with several excellent holes.  Really worth playing, probably a great afternoon course after Dornoch in the AM.

I would play North Berwick multiple times as well. Along with Dornoch, these two courses are really worth getting to know, not just seeing once and checking them off the list.

On the way to North Berwick from Edinburgh I stopped along  “Scotland’s Golf Coast” at Musselburgh Links Old, Longniddry, Kilspindie, and walked up Gullane hill to the 7th tee.   It was a fun drive.

It was a lot of travelling, but we only stayed one night in one place - all others multiple nights. We wanted to see some of the country anyway.

Have fun!

Wm Flynnfan
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:01:16 PM by Bill Crane »

Ken Moum

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 02:30:40 AM »
Michael

Maybe I'm living up to the stereotype Scotsman but can I suggest that Garrett and Ken save themselves the greenfee for No 1 and simply walk up to the 7th tee for the view. Trust me, no one will stop them. No. 2 and 3 offer much better value for money and as Sean put it elsewhere, all three are similar in routing and terrain.

Niall

I agree, we have no intention of playing #1.  We played #2 last year and intend to play #3 nrxt year.

Since we've been in Scotland twice for a total of six weeks and intend to stay six weeks next year, we need to be somewhat selective.  GCAer Stan Dodd said it best, you need to be aware of your golf per diem.

I mostly believe that the "checklist" courses cost too much.  I've paid top dollar, at Dornoch and the Old Course, but draw the line for Castle, Kingsbarns, Gullane 1 and Troon.

Next year the lesser-known courses in The Confidential Guide and my new Christmas book by Bob and Anne Jones--Golf in Scotland: The Hidden Gems.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

C. Sturges

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
Ken,

I do not know how much you want to spread your golf per diem, but I would look into caravan parks.  Last October, my group of four spent three nights each in Machrihanish and North Berwick, in a three bedroom caravan.  Both had views of the local golf courses.  We did both, cooking in and cooking out.  One of the best decisions on my many travels.

Garrett,

As a dumb American who wants to maximize my airfare travel, I travel to play as many courses as I can.  I know it is nice to stay at one place and not have to deal with luggage, but it is even more fun playing different courses.  From what I can tell you will have three long drives, more than an hour or two, and on all these you will have plenty of time to play golf and look for some birds for your wife.  I would travel!  Not sure if anyone mentioned all the bird watching in North Berwick.  We were told the rocks are not naturally white, Bass rock, Fidra...

As for the Castle course, go play it and let us know.  I played it with two locals that only put the old course in front of it for the most fun to play/ where they play most.  I really liked the course, yes there are some undulated greens, but I felt they all fit there holes well.  A short holes green had more undulation than a more difficult long hole.  As we discuss properties that have a couple courses, is it not more fun and interesting to have different styled courses?  I know I like to play courses from different designers on a trip, and the Castle course is very different than the rest of the towns courses.  As for the people who say the course is to tight, that seems more a maintenance issue that has caught on in Scotland.  All the courses I had played before where much tighter on there fairways than my first trip.

Have a great trip,
chris

Jim Tang

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »
Dornoch is one of the most special places for golf I've ever seen.  I spent 2 days there, playing 3 rounds.  Wish I had stayed longer and played more.  You'll want to play Dornoch several times.

Ken Moum

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
Ken,

I do not know how much you want to spread your golf per diem, but I would look into caravan parks.  Last October, my group of four spent three nights each in Machrihanish and North Berwick, in a three bedroom caravan.  Both had views of the local golf courses.  We did both, cooking in and cooking out.  One of the best decisions on my many travels.

We've actually done pretty well on lodging costs I think.

By Staying in Drem the first week we aren't going too deep, and with a full Scottish breakfast, we only need one othe rmeal a day.

At Cupar we found a B&B that has a suite with two bedrooms and all three of us can stay there. Also getting breakfast.

At Golspie we have an apartment rented for less than what we found for caravan parks.

After that we're going to a very affordable B&B in Nairn where we really like the owner.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Crowley

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
I'm an avid reader of the site. However, I rarely post. I'm interested in some feedback on the itinerary I have put together for a two-week trip to Scotland next June 5-21. My line-up of places to play and stay is based on a ton of info from members of this site.
Any feedback is welcome. Positive or negative.

Week One: With my wife and some friends.

Rental house in St. Andrews - through Kingsask properties.

We have yet to book any tee times yet. I'm still ironing out who and how many we will have.
Golf: Purchase three-day pass through the Links Trust. Try to ballot on the Old Course. Play New, Eden, Jubile and Castle.
Crail
Carnoustie

Week Two - Just me and my wife. Note: She's an avid, expert birdwatching maniac. This allows me all the golf I want. Tee times are booked.
Fri. 6/12 - Check out of house in St. Andrews - Drive to Tain (two nights)
Sat. 6/13 - Royal Dornoch in AM.
Sun 6/14 - Check out of house. Play Nairn - Late morning. Drive East to Pennan (three nights)
Mon 6/15 - Play Fraserburgh - Late morning
Tues  6/16 - AM Royal Aberdeen - PM Murcar
Wed  6/17 - Check out of house - Late AM Cruden Bay - Drive to Aberlady (four nights)
Thurs 6/18 - AM Luffness - PM Open - would love to find a way onto Muirfield. I would skip Luffness for that. Muirfield is booked at the moment.
Fri 6/19 - AM N. Berwick - PM Open
Sat. 6/21 - Open. Gullane? Others?
Sun - Depart back to Phoenix

I'm open to playing with any GCA'er as well if they are in the area. Any help with Muirfield would be amazing as well. I play to an 8-9 index here at Phoenix CC. I'd be happy to host a round here at Phoenix in return.

I've been to Ireland twice, so I'm ready for the elements. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Garrett,
I'll miss you by about a week in both St. Andrews and Dornoch next Summer.

Tip: the Castle course has earned its 0 in the new Confidental Guide. Don't waste time or money playing it. There are several much better choices nearby most of which are in your plans.

I concur with all those recommending Brora and Golspie.
Enjoy!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:50 AM »
Habing played some pretty wild greens around the world I cannot see what all the fuss is about the Castle Course. On GCA it becomes really fashionable to love the unloved and bash the ordinary. The CC isnt great but has a few very good holes, I'd play it again at guest rates, the 0 appears to be a very good marketing move for a new book.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »
I'd play it again at guest rates

Chappers, not much of endorsement  :o  What is that, an 85% discount?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:47:07 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
It was £30 or £40 which I thought good value. Great staff and spectacular clubhouse.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back