News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

Re: 2015 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »
One of my group had a cancelled flight last night and can't get in to Denver till 3pm Wednesday. Anyone headed to Mullen about that time that could rescue a stranded traveler?  Send me a PM please.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
Big Ward, I have never seen a greater gathering of talent than at the CWS.  The baseball players are pretty good too.

Anchor Down!

Boges
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
I just wanted to wish everyone participating in the 5th Major a great time and safe travels.  Dismal River looks like a pretty amazing place and obviously the company will be pretty good too - I hope to make it out one year.  Have a great time and looking forward to seeing some photos...

Matt Bosela

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
Wishing everyone a great time in Nebraska - wish I could be out there with y'all!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »
Have fun! 

Will Spivey

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »
Damn, I wish I was there!   ;D

I've only been once, but what a weekend. 

Envy doesn't suit me...

Eric Smith

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »
What a great turnout for the 5th Major - 28 teams - playing match play within 7 flights over both the White and Red Courses - with a 7 team playoff afterwards on the Red, where the team of Raulie Weber and Eric Borchers outlasted the runners-up, Dan Kelly and Dan Moore.

Photo courtesy of Dan Moore, who is not only a terrific golfer and competitor, but a gifted photographer as well. He's shared a few of his shots with me and they are, in a word, spectacular.

Here is the tournament summary:

Flight                   Winners
201                       Dan Moore & Dan Kelly
Pappy Vanwinkle     John Kavanaugh & Randy Stoll
Iconic!                   Matt Glore & Marshall St Amant
Open Jaw               Eric Borchers & Raulie Weber
Taddy Porter          Dick Daley & Doug Siebert
Tomahawk Chops   Jimmy Gulick & Nate Gulick
Hooker's House      George Hurst & Walt Pottschmidt

2015 5th Major Champions Eric Borchers & Raulie Weber

Putting Contest Winner Dan Moore

Thank you to all of the GCAers who continue to make the effort to attend this event! I've met more great folks through GCA than likely any other group, anywhere, in my entire life. I count many of my best friends, the people I talk to on a regular basis, as either past or present GCAers, and for that I owe a debt of gratitude to Ran and Ben for providing this forum. Thank you, Gentlemen!

And, thank you, Dismal River!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Beautiful.
And if RJ won his flight it means he is playing good golf, which means his back troubles have cleared up, which is great.
And -- I think we can now say that Dan Kelly is either the best editor who plays great golf, or the best golfer who is a great editor!
I live vicariously through Eric's golfing life, and that's pretty darn good
Peter

Eric Smith

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
A PeterP sighting in Nebraska in 2016 would be a showstopper!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
Get a film crew on standby.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Moore

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
Thank you Eric and all the folks at Dismal River for the warm welcome and hosting a fantastic event.

Here are a few photos from last year and this.

A few shots of Dismal River and the Fifth Major.

Almost There!

Fire Pit by Day

Red #3

Red #7

Red #9

Red #16

White #4

White # 15 Daley on the Tee in the 2014 Shoot Out!!

Time for a Drink

CJ Pointing Out the Nearness of Heaven

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:33:57 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

RJ_Daley

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
So, if James Brown is the hardest working man in show biz,  I feel confident to say CJ is the hardest working man in golf.

Thank you Chris for an overwhelming outpouring of hospitality and the many kind words you spoke. 

Thank you Eric, Kav and the members of DR that share their awe inspiring club with so many of us for several days.  If you can ever see your way clear, my advice is to take one of these 5th Major events in..... Peter?  You will never regret the time to get there or modest $ to participate by comparison to so many other travel golf events.  I met some newer gents this time that I hadn't run into on the GCA circuit previously.  I felt like we were all part of a fellowship, more so than a frat rat sort of club; but more like people that have serendipitously come together to discover something of great common interest and uniqueness not found easily in any quarters. 

BTW,  the beef steaks were absolutely as good as it gets.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
Tagging on here to say Thanks to Chris, Eric Smith and Dismal River for hosting and supporting me on my Hundred Hole Hike. We arrived a little late on Sunday so I didn't get to meet any GCA'ers departing the 5th Major, which I really wanted to do.

But Chris and head pro Joe took good care of me all day Monday (and were a little worried :) ) as I looped around the Doak course. First time to the sand hills and any golf in those parts. Hope to make it to the 5th Major next year and enjoy Dismal River at a more leisurely pace.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
It was a fun time, on and off the course.  My golf was average, but the food was great.

Seeing the Dan's (the quiet assassins), the esteemed Mr. Daley back at it, and both dear old and new friends was a hoot!

Dick - it isn't work if its fun!

Ryan - Congrats on the HHH.  Well done!

Thanks to all who came out!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Many open jaw moments, few regrets.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »

Indeed Picasso.

Eric Smith

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »
ok here is a no brainer for Fifth Major 2016

World college baseball series prior weekend and then roll deeper into Nebraska

Have you seen the weather, chicks, sloppy ass ballpark food and ode time baseball on right now?

I will organize Omaha; who is IN!

Wardo

Wardo - Sorry how things ended in Omaha. But your idea for 2016 could work. The 2016 College World Series is Saturday, June 18 through Tuesday/Wednesday, June 28/29. Though, that would lead into the 4th of July weekend (7/4/2016 is on a Monday) and we typically hold the 5th Major the weekend before the 4th of July weekend. Much to ponder ... Ryan H. - Congrats on your Hundred Hole Hike!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »

I regret I didn't get in an extra 18 Sunday morning.  :(

HarryBrinkerhofDoyleIVakaBarry

Re: 2015 5th Major at Dismal River New
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2015, 09:06:27 PM »
[REMOVED]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:53:36 PM by HarryBrinkerhofDoyleIVakaBarry »

Matt Elliot

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
While this was my first GCA event I want to second what has already been said by many.  What a great event the 5th Major was and what a wonderful job done by Chris, Eric and both Mike's! Our Tomahawk Chop flight may not have produced the best golf but we sure found a way to have a great time!!  It was fun meeting everyone!  The golf never disappoints at Dismal River and the food is something special!  The tuna Friday night was to die for and I am now hooked on Rochefort as well!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »
While this was my first GCA event I want to second what has already been said by many.  What a great event the 5th Major was and what a wonderful job done by Chris, Eric and both Mike's! Our Tomahawk Chop flight may not have produced the best golf but we sure found a way to have a great time!!  It was fun meeting everyone!  The golf never disappoints at Dismal River and the food is something special!  The tuna Friday night was to die for and I am now hooked on Rochefort as well!

Matt,

It was great meeting you.

John_Cullum

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
I regret I didn't order the tuna
Raynor was a hack

Matt Elliot

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Sam it was great meeting you as well!

John the tuna was out of this world as is every meal at Dismal. 

When I mentioned CJ, Eric and both Mike's earlier I should have said both Eric's-- Smith and Chef Eric! 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »
I met the tuna right out of the box, he was nice!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
I took a break from the superb steaks to have the tuna as well.  It was all that!  Chef Eric can really present some outstanding food. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back