News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

2015 5th Major at Dismal River
« on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Once again it is my pleasure to invite you to attend the 16th Annual 5th Major Championship, June 25-28 at Dismal River Golf Club in Mullen, Nebraska. This is a not-too-serious fourball event played over three days on both Jack Nicklaus’s White Course and Tom Doak’s Red Course.

You will need a partner, but don’t hesitate to come alone, as we've had success in pairing the eventual champs in both 2011 and 2012. All are welcome - no matter the skill level - as the tournament is flighted. We had a full field of 40 teams in 2014, so be sure to book early to secure your spot. A $100 deposit is due by April 15 in order to secure your reservation. Deposits are non-refundable after this date.

I can’t thank the club enough for allowing me to host the event at Dismal for what will be our fifth year there! My good friend and fellow GCAer, Chris Johnston, CEO of Dismal River, deserves the bulk of my gratitude. Thank you, Chris!

Here are the details for the 2015 5th Major:

Format: Fourball
* Flighted
* Series of 9 hole matches
* Flight winners playoff for the Nicklaus Trophy

When: Thursday, June 25 to Sunday, June 28

Field: Up to 40 Teams

Cost: $1,195 per person includes: 3 days of unlimited golf (Th, Fr, Sa), 3 nights accommodation in an onsite cabin, all meals (Dinner on Thursday, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Friday, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Saturday and Breakfast on Sunday). Also includes all taxes and gratuities for the package.

Deposits: A $100.00 deposit secures your reservation. Register

Additional day(s): Those wishing to stay extra days and/or nights before or after the event should contact the club directly at 308-546-2900 or via email to Shanda at smesic@dismalriver.com. Space is limited so be sure to check early. The club is also offering discounted fees for Sunday golf and lodging (about 50 %). Just be sure to confirm with Shanda any reservation outside of the tournament days.

Also, if anyone would like to do a Hundred Hole Hike at Dismal the following day (Monday, June 29) your golf fees that day will be gratis. Again, please check with the club to confirm a reservation.

Transportation: The easiest way to fly to Dismal River is via Denver International Airport. There you can rent a car and drive approximately 5 hours to DRGC. http://goo.gl/maps/KZ9B2 Many GCAers carpool from DIA to Dismal and I'd expect that to be the case next year as well so check back later for updates.

*Another option is to fly further on from Denver to North Platte, Nebraska via Great Lakes Air. http://greatlakes.booksecure.net/Criteria.aspx There you can rent a car and drive approximately an hour and a half to the club. Their flight schedule is limited so you'll want to check to be sure there are available flights on the dates in which you wish to travel.

Other golf courses to consider on your trip:
In Denver there is a public course by Tom Doak, CommonGround
Also in Denver is the private Coore & Crenshaw design Colorado Golf Club
About halfway to Dismal River is the private Tom Doak design, Ballyneal
Near Ogallala on Lake McConaughy, there is Bayside, which has an affordable stay and play package.
A bit further east on I-80 is Wild Horse
Next door to Dismal River is Sand Hills Golf Club
2 hours north of the club is the Prairie Club  

More info: Format, schedules, photo galleries, incriminating videos, etc. at 5thmajor.com

If you've been before, I hope you'll consider making a return visit. If you haven't, 2015 may be your year to win a Major! A trip to the sandhills all but guarantees you won't forget having tried. :)

Cheers,

Eric
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:34:07 PM by Eric Smith »

Cliff Walston

Re: 2015 5th Major
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
I am undoubtedly biased, but the 5th Major is one of the best examples of what makes GCA so great.  I attended the 5th Major three years ago as a single, never having met a single person from GCA.  I arrived to find 80+ of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met.  I left with life-long friendships with people as passionate about GCA as I am.  And the golf wasn't half bad either.  If are thinking about attending, I can assure you it is well worth it.  

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Cliff is making me blush.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
Witnessing Sam and Eric's first embrace would have made anyone blush.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
Witnessing Sam and Eric's first embrace would have made anyone blush.

That wasn't our first.......or last.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
 ;D Found a partner yet, Sam?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
;D Found a partner yet, Sam?
haven't even looked yet

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »
Thanks to Ari @ Scratch Golf, I am really ready this year.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Nice Clemson ferrule.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »
What's the loft on those things? I'm always hearing that wedges are useless in the sandhills.

I was freezing and delirious at the time, but I think I met Eric for about 45 seconds at Sweetens Cove last March and told him I'd be at the major in 2015.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »
I am undoubtedly biased, but the 5th Major is one of the best examples of what makes GCA so great.  I attended the 5th Major three years ago as a single, never having met a single person from GCA.  I arrived to find 80+ of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met.  I left with life-long friendships with people as passionate about GCA as I am.  And the golf wasn't half bad either.  If are thinking about attending, I can assure you it is well worth it.  

A few days at Dismal River plus this report from a former newbie like myself...Sounds like I may need to start stocking up on brownie points with the wife... ;D

Stephen Davis

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

A few days at Dismal River plus this report from a former newbie like myself...Sounds like I may need to start stocking up on brownie points with the wife... ;D
It is definitely a great time! I also went not knowing a soul my first year and everyone was awesome! I have been back the pass 3 years. The 5th Major is now an annual tradition.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
Do I have to come up with a menu for the Champions Dinner?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »

Fried Chicken perhaps?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:04:52 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »

Mollydooker wine.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Glore

Re: 2015 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Is there golf on Sunday, for the 5th major?

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
Is there golf on Sunday, for the 5th major?

Hi Matt.

I'm glad you asked because I did a poor job of identifying which three days are included in the tournament package. The 5th Major includes unlimited golf Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The club is offering discounted fees for Sunday golf and lodging (about 50 %) but you will need to check with Shanda smesic@dismalriver.com to confirm a reservation outside of the tournament days.

Also, if anyone would like to do their Hundred Hole Hike at Dismal the following day (Monday, June 29) your golf fees that day will be gratis. Again, please check with the club to confirm a reservation.

We've changed the event schedule this year and will play the first matches on Thursday afternoon, where before Thursday was an add-on day. Hopefully this will allow a more relaxed pace to the tournament and allow for more opportunities to create your own games around the matches. More than anything it will allow the playoff to finish on Saturday afternoon, not Saturday night. :P

*Updated Opening Post
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:01:35 PM by Eric Smith »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
Eric,

Keith Kirkendall and I will be playing, are there still spots available?

Eric Smith

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
Eric,

Keith Kirkendall and I will be playing, are there still spots available?

Always a spot open for you, sir! If my math is correct we now have 48 on the roster.

If anyone else is on the fence just let me know if you need a push. ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:33:58 PM by Eric Smith »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
More than anything it will allow the playoff to finish on Saturday afternoon, not Saturday night. :P

*Updated Opening Post

I loved the Saturday night finish!!!  8)

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
More than anything it will allow the playoff to finish on Saturday afternoon, not Saturday night. :P

*Updated Opening Post

I'd say so! ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUowuQV1q9o

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
 ;D Will there be a Hole in One Pool?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
;D Will there be a Hole in One Pool?

Yes sir! After your wife's ace last year and Doug Siebert making one in 2011 it would seem we really do have to do this. Please ask Ms. Sheila to come back and try again. ;) I know Doug is. ;D

Brandon Urban

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »

*Updated Opening Post

I did not  ;)
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Brandon,

I notice after finishing as the runner up these past two years you're bringing a new partner with you. Does this guy have a verifiable handicap? ;D ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back