News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: Australian Open
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »
It perhaps should also be noted that it isn't a huge site.. Quick peak on google earth and there is not a square inch of space to spare.  In the old days it was not only an open linksy course, but there was also a little 9 holer as well.

The same freeway that forced The lakes to be redone in the late 60's also threatened the Oz, with the nasty lefto government of the time having little sympathy with an exclusive club and threatening to resume the whole place.  In the end, they kept most, but lost quite a bit along the western boundary and thus its now very tight for the modern pro game and probably couldn't return to the open linksy feel as playing lines are too close together and would present a safety issue.  There is also the need for some containment mounding and trees along the boundaries, esp the western freeway boundary, as it is scary close in places

That doesn't explain the ponds however

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
But I sure do like the hi-tech graphical transitions the broadcast employs!   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

BHoover

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
The more of see of the Australian GC, the more I have to admit that I like what I see. At first glance it appears to be your average Florida-style course. But it's playing firm and fast and the green surrounds with little to no rough are definitely superior to most of what we see here in the US. It's not the Sandbelt, obviously, but it's much better than the average PGA Tour venue. And it's producing a good tournament thus far, which counts for quite a bit in my book.

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
Just turned on the TV.  They couldn't find a course IN AUSTRALIA to play the Australian Open on?  Seriously, this place is SO rich in remarkable, and very much distinctive, golf course architecture.  Shame on whoever made this pick.  Ridiculous.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
The more of see of the Australian GC, the more I have to admit that I like what I see. At first glance it appears to be your average Florida-style course. But it's playing firm and fast and the green surrounds with little to no rough are definitely superior to most of what we see here in the US. It's not the Sandbelt, obviously, but it's much better than the average PGA Tour venue. And it's producing a good tournament thus far, which counts for quite a bit in my book.

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »
The commentators continue to pay tributes to Nicklaus and the design scheme.  I think the maintenance meld of what appears quite firm greens and surrounds is defending par well, and many long putts and chips are galloping by or being badly misread.   It will demand a quality champion and no one including the top star will run away and hide on the final day, it seems. 

What is up with Ogilvy?  He seems distracted and indifferent. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
What is up with Ogilvy?  He seems distracted and indifferent. 

If any golfer had something going on in his head, it would be Ogilvy. Easily in the top-three list of great thinkers in the male touring professional game today.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »
Well, is he over thinking, or day dreaming, or caught up in critiquing a course as to the design and how he'd like to re-design it rather than how to play what is before him? 

Who are the other two males, and since you brought it up, which are the top three female thinkers?   ;D

Would the other thinkers be doing equally as mediocre in a toon-a-mint due to their thinking abilities?  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
RJ

Ogilvy is hitting the ball much better than he was last year at Royal Sydney - but he has made 3 ridiculous double bogeys, two on the back nine on Thursday which tuned a good round into a poor one.
My guess is his play at the end of the season in America restored his confidence as well as his place at Augusta and The Open and he is playing out this year without great enthusiasm - but with much to look forward to next year.

Doesn't every course designer look at a course and wonder how they might have done it differently? I'm sure there is a bit of that going on this week too.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »
the most diplomatic course criticism I have heard in a while.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
the most diplomatic course criticism I have heard in a while.

Not directed at you Josh-just general comments.

I must say I didn't watch today but on Friday Ogilvie was very complimentary of the course
even reading between the lines I didn't hear anything but praise.

I'm not sure that the fact that the sand belt courses are incredible should automatically disqualify this course-or the fact the grass is green.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:51:10 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brent Hutto

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
I'm not sure that the fact that the sand belt courses are incredible should automatically disqualify this course-or the fact the grass is green.

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention around here all these years Jeff!

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention around here all these years Jeff!

was always a problem of mine Brent
they have pills for that now I hear ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 12:40:56 AM »
It will demand a quality champion and no one including the top star will run away and hide on the final day, it seems. 

I reckon Speith is a quality champion, but I need to get out of the commentary business.  Unless you think doubling up on the field isn't running away and hiding!  :o ;D

Josh Stevens

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
Our lack of affection for the course aside, it provides a challenge, and 63 is quite some golf

Josh Stevens

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »
And if you think this week was bad and not representative of how you imagine Australian golf should be, just wait until next when they tee it up at the Aust PGA up at Royal Pines.

If anything, these two course are absolutely representative of Australian golf - it is the sandbelt that is the outlier

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
And if you think this week was bad and not representative of how you imagine Australian golf should be, just wait until next when they tee it up at the Aust PGA up at Royal Pines.

If anything, these two course are absolutely representative of Australian golf - it is the sandbelt that is the outlier

Josh,
I think that's true everywhere.

A place like The UK/Ireland should be the exception, but even there they(commentaters and players-see Rory ;) ::)) refer to golf as "links golf" like it's some weird hybrid of golf that they occasionally have forced upon them that doesn't allow them to play by the numbers.
They catch themselves having fun and playing with a touch of instinct and boom they're right back to the Spanish Open, Dubai, or The Belfry dialing in proper golf again with their lazer gizmo and flat, perfect greens.

I had an assistant whose father was a member at Liphook and lived near Hayling. He said he used to hate playing that scruffy links crap and almost always made the trip to Liphook to play real golf (Not that Liphook's a bad option ;D)
Who knew it would take a Yank to get him to see the light ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Mike Clayton on Jordan Spieth's final round 63:

http://www.golf.org.au/newsdisplay/not-quite-the-lowest-but-no-doubt-the-best/84008

Note that Brett Rumford, not Rod Pampling, was the 3rd golfer in Spieth's group.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Spieth stated his full intention to return in order to defend the title.  Yes, it seems that a great golfer not only should play in all corners of the golf world, but it is most enjoyable to golf fans to see the enthusiasm to do so by a real champ. 

If Mike Clayton looks in, did it seem like Boo Weekly had a good time with his experiences in OZ?  The lingo and dialects going back and forth would have been worth the price of admission to hear them communicate!  ;D

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
David,

Thanks - I'll get it fixed.

RJ

Boo played last week at Metropolitan too and hit the ball beautifully but missed every putt he looked at. I didn't see him play much at The Australian but it looked more of the same. He now has a week off and then plays the PGA on the Golf Coast.
He did a few radio interviews and was very funny.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
Wasn't Scott Hoch also a sweet iron player but generally a substandard putter, apart from the Masters yip? 

What is refreshingly different is that Boo seems to embrace 'la differance' and embraces the world golf, whereas you couldn't get Hoch on a links if you spotted him 6 strokes and I remember how he discounted and passed up on chances to play The Open, particularly TOC. 

If it is as it seems with the Australian Golf Club maintenance meld presenting firm greens and surrounds, would that be an everyday approach to course maintenance?  If so, would that be member appreciation of the firm and fast philosophy, or tailored specifically to the competition of the event; and would it also be in line with any sort of adherence to water conservation?

James Bennett

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 03:55:10 AM »
RJ

I think it was presented similarly 14 months ago when I played, although the greens weren't as quick then.

It was a 'short grass' course.

It is an interesting point that perhaps Florida courses could learn something from The Australian, whereas the Melbourne sandbelt might just be a bridge too far.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »
I would agree that the course didn't look as inspiring as some of the big names from OZ.

At the same time it was a great challenge even for the top pros and Jordan's round of 63 was an outstanding performance. He himself noted it was the best golf he's ever played.

The course had a very distinct australian character to it - the greens were super firm, I am sure most average golfer won't even be able to stop the ball on them even with a wedge.

Now, speaking of tournament golf. IMO, it must be extremely challenging and that is what makes it interesting and fun to watch. I can imagine, how it may be more interesting to play courses like Cypress Point etc, but they are definitely not fun to watch, since it will be a birdie feast all the time.

So, it is quite simply better to separate the tournament golf and "the golf I enjoy playing"

BHoover

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2015, 06:58:08 AM »
I thought this thread was worth reviving now that the Australian Open has returned to the Australian GC.

I repeat what I said last year about the course (as an American who is watching on Golf Channel and who has not played golf in Australia:

"The more of see of the Australian GC, the more I have to admit that I like what I see. At first glance it appears to be your average Florida-style course. But it's playing firm and fast and the green surrounds with little to no rough are definitely superior to most of what we see here in the US. It's not the Sandbelt, obviously, but it's much better than the average PGA Tour venue. And it's producing a good tournament thus far, which counts for quite a bit in my book."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back