News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Bushmills Dunes project collapses... for now
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
Seems as though the proposed Bushmills Dunes course near the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland is not going to happen, for now at least.

Ali Hanna, the guy who conceived the course, spent more than ten years battling for planning permission and hired David Kidd to design it, died of cancer five months ago. That put the project in doubt, but it seemed to have been sorted when it was discovered that Mark Parsinen had got involved, and was also involving Mike Keiser as an investor. Kidd was removed from the project, and the website said that Gil Hanse had instead been engaged as architect. Gil's crew was supposed to move onto the site next month, but then a couple of weeks ago I heard they'd been stood down.

Now the BBC is reporting that the deadline for the acquisition of the land passed, and the deal was not done. Instead, the site is being sold to a Northern Ireland businessman who's also acquiring the neighbouring estate and stately home. Does he want a golf course? Have to see!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30199057
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jamie Pyper

Re: Bushmills Dunes project collapses... for now
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
Adam;
Very sad to hear that this links opportunity will not go forward. I walked the property this past summer and drove around the perimeter of the massive Dundarave estate, which was on the market for 5M sterling. Together the links land and manor house would have made a world class destination. After a decade of hard work its unfortunate that Dr. Hanna's dream did not materialize.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »
Assuming this has planning for 70 lodges, hotel etc. It is highly unlikely a buyer would spend £5M on this and let these valuable permissions lapse. Perhaps there are some facts missing though.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Adrian - the new buyer of the stately home and estate is Peter Fitzgerald, founder of Randox and one of NI's most successful entrepreneurs. The supposition is he's buying the house to live in, which clearly casts doubt on whether he'd be interested in pursuing the golf course and hotel.
Adam Lawrence

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »
Adrian;
The 550 acre estate and manor house price of 5M for 550 was over and above the separate proposed golf course parcel. The golf course parcel was to house the hotel development and perhaps it was purchased conditional on getting all approvals in place prior to closing. Since the developers still do not have final approval for the course, then perhaps they deemed it was finally time to walk away.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
Jamie - I believe your last point is incorrect. The required permissions are, I think, all in place - the construction crew was all set to mobilise on site next month
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
post deleted....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:32:35 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »
This is interesting...

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/causeway-golf-course-plan-could-be-revived-1-6464389

So maybe it will go ahead after all. I bet Mr Fitzgerald's assistant is fielding a LOT of calls from golf architects right now!
Adam Lawrence

Daniel Jones

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »
Well...sadly, it's officially dead. What exactly is a "corporate hospitality centre?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30826664

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
Absurd. We don't want a golf course which fits with the local environment, we want a business centre.

The perception of golf must be at an all time low.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:29 AM »
Not that construction is likely per se....but I read that article as saying the business center is going on the Dundarave property, and "all options are being discussed" for the potential golf course site....

From the article...

When asked about the current status of the golf resort plan, a Randox spokeswoman said: "Planning permission remains in place, we are assessing all options open to us."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Paul Gray

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
Prediction: New owners decide to hire a cheap designer who goes on to build a driving range and substandard golf course.

Golf and the National Trust both lose.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »
Prediction: New owners decide to hire a cheap designer who goes on to build a driving range and substandard golf course.

Golf and the National Trust both lose.

Given Fitzgerald's reputation I'd say that seems a highly unlikely supposition. If he pursues the course, his track record suggests he'll do it properly.
Adam Lawrence

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
Well...sadly, it's officially dead. What exactly is a "corporate hospitality centre?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30826664

Daniel

Suggest you have another read of the article. Nowhere can I see does it say the golf course won't be built.

Niall

Daniel Jones

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »

Daniel

Suggest you have another read of the article. Nowhere can I see does it say the golf course won't be built.

Niall

Indeed you're right. It looks like the article was given a substantial update about an hour ago. I don't recall seeing the paragraph about "all options being on the table." Or maybe I missed it in my pre-coffee fog :)

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Bushmills Dunes project collapses... for now New
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
Absurd. We don't want a golf course which fits with the local environment, we want a business centre.

The perception of golf must be at an all time low.

Paul while I would love to see a Golf Course there in the overall scheme of things the success of his company is to be applauded. In Northern Ireland over 30% of all employment is in the Public Centre, the highest in the UK.  Having a sector leading high tech manufacturing firm in the private sector is good news anywhere, but particularly welcome there. In time he may see another world class Golf Club on his land as a desirable thing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:29:06 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back