News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: What Constitutes a "Good Test of Golf?"
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
Jeff,

Part of the answer lies within sub-sets of the broad spectrum of golfers,

But, I think one course comes quickly to mind.

One course that presents a "good test of golf" to every level of golfer.

One course that presents that test to the poor, mediocre, good and great golfer.

One course that can be played and enjoyed every day by those sub-sets.

Anyone care to guess which course I'm referring to ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
Jeff,

Unfortunately, length would seem to be an integral facet of any "good challenge", but, it's the use of length that's critical.

I think you have to exclude one sub-set, the PGA Tour Pro and ask this question in the context of the amateur/club golfer.

The first holes at Friars Head, GCGC, NGLA and Sebonack all provide "good tests" despite their lack of length.

But, golf is cumulative test over 18 holes.

While each shot can be a test, and each hole can be a test, it's the cumulative test that's the critical one.

A given hole can provide a challenge to one golfer and be a pushover to another.
Ditto any given shot.

For the purpose of addressing your question, I think the word "balance" or "overall balance" has to come into play.

For me, the ultimate test is:  Do I want to go straight to the first tee from the 18th green.

That question required a visceral answer, not a calculated answer.

I believe that opinions will vary on a given course because most golfers tend to evaluate a golf course solely in the context of their own game, rarely considering how the course interfaces with the games of others.

While length may not be a prerequisite, I think it has to be an element or facet at some point during the round.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
I think the test can be presented and graded on the curve.  A good test can be manipulated and a less remarkable golf course design can be set up and tweaked with maintenance meld to yield an 'on the curve' or skewed test.   A mediocre golf course with less terrain variety that doesn't have routing and corridors of play with greatly defined and designed angles of attack to greens, or bunker/hazard placements that penalize or tempt or flirt on a risk reward basis can still be tweaked with watering patterns, mowing patterns and pin placements with tee blocks if their is room, to demand a better test than oter set ups and maintenance meld prsentations on different days or seasons. 

A Doak 3-4can be brought up to a 5 or so, or a Doak 6-7 can be brought down a notch, with maintenance meld and set up.   

Can anyone name a so-called tough test of golf that isn't rendered toothless and not much of a test for the greatest players if the conditions are soft and render the game nothing but extreme lawn darts to easy pin placements?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil Young

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
One whose routing allows for each hole to play differently on a daily basis and so must have a great deal of open space that allow for variations in wind speed and direction to be part and parcel to the playing of the course and not just a rare windy day annoyance.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
Pat,

Yes decent length is usually, and always has been almost a certain requirement.  Might be worth studying the Harbor Towns of the world to see how a shorter course actually makes for a nice test of golf.

RJ,

Perhaps the best example is TOC, or nearly any good seaside course designed for a brisk wind, on a day when it is calm. Phil kind of says as much in a different way. As to your exact example, I am thinking of many 50's style designs, a la RTJ and Firestone which plays much easier when soft.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Phil Young

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
Jeff,

I purposefully didn't mention the sea as there are courses that are hundreds and more miles from any sizable body of water yet are either devoid of trees or have just the right amount. On these wind changes the course that is played from day to day. There r also seaside courses, and by that I refer to those that may be a half-mile or so inland, and that also have a number of trees on them yet the trees actually aid in the differing air movements as it changes from day to day. A good example of that is Southward Ho CC on Long Island, a 1926 Tilly original design that has a routing which accentuates the holes changing play because of the wind.

JMEvensky

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Don't doglegs trump length--at least where there's something problematic on the inside of the dogleg?

For me,a good test would require a player to turn driver each direction several times per round.

Paul Gray

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
Ultimately then, the right turf in the right condition.

I mean, did Pinehurst not do just that? Have the courses which The Open is played on not been, comparatively speaking, less affected by the onslaught of technology? Do these courses not present a good test to players of all levels?

Enough short grass on firm turf and, depending on how well we execute good, intelligent golf, we can all either triumph or hang ourselves trying.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »
Paul,

I think Pinehurst was a lot different than most US Open sites.  That turf was so dry, I am not even sure that is the right presentation of firm and fast for that matter.

As to most US Open courses, they really seem to fit the "hit the same shot over and over, cause the penalty is pretty bad" vs. our sort of working definition of a course that makes you hit all the shots - high, low, fade, draw, high spin, low spin, bomb it, lay it up, etc.  Most simply call for precision or penalty.

So, no, I am not sure typical US Open courses present the best test of golf.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Isn't this a "you recognize it when you see it issue"?

Got to play the Homestead Cascades a couple of weeks back.  

I think it passes the test, which ever one you decide to give it, with flying colors.
Variety of everything - hard to imagine a single course with more variety .... degree of difficulty, some easier holes, some very hard, variety in all the par 4's, par 3's (5 of them), par 5's (3 of them) .... all unique, the course has a fascinating and dynamic balance to it.
variety of lies etc
to expand why,
for the really good golfer, the course as a test of skill unfolds in some interesting ways...
the first & third holes are subtle, but not hard holes
the par 3 fourth & par 5 fifth are as much hard golf as you could want to have
sixth is not hard but not easy, seventh & ninth very demanding, eighth a wonderful drop shot short par 3, to get a shot back
the back nine unfolds in a different but still interesting way .... 2 fairly easy par 5's, 3 very very tough par 3's, 3 par 4's from 12-14 that test any game ... variety & dynamic balance
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Paul Gray

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Jeff,

You misread the post. The Open is an event held on a links golf course annually.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Sorry, should have figured that one!  Yes, the "real" Open does test golf completely in most cases.

Paul Gray

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
Sorry, should have figured that one!  Yes, the "real" Open does test golf completely in most cases.

To be fair, I should have written Open Championship for the sake of clarity.  :)

My one real disappointment with The Open Championship as it is these days is the failure to force a blind tee shot on a player. I know that probably just sounds like a purist about to bang on about the "all out there in front of you" brigade or such like but I do think there's a real test to be had in asking a player to hit into the unknown.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back