News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Re: Buda Cup 2015: Notts GC Hollinwell & Sherwood Forest GC
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
I intend to try to add to my one day total of BUDA attendance to date.... But I too won't be confirming any time soon. Which - I understand - is no help if you are organising.

Therefore it will likely be a slot in if there's space closer to the time scenario.

As above.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 07:21:40 AM »
I intend to try to add to my one day total of BUDA attendance to date.... But I too won't be confirming any time soon. Which - I understand - is no help if you are organising.

Therefore it will likely be a slot in if there's space closer to the time scenario.

As above.

I'm the same... kids holidays, time off work etc... all too early to commit from my point of view. But I want to be there!

Tom Kelly

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
I'm keen to add a little local knowledge to the home team and get involved in BUDA for the first time but I don't think I can commit until abit closer to the time, I might have to be a late 'slot in' like the last few posters.

Worksop is another local course which might be worth a visit for the guys looking for another game.

James Boon

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »
After working through various accommodation possibilities its looking like we have the following options:

1. Hotel near to the course
There are a couple of options here. One in Mansfield which probably seems a bit of a turnoff for most or one, the Dakota http://www.dakotanottingham.co.uk/ just off Junction 27 of the M1 motorway and about 5 minutes from the club. I will drop into the Dakota at some point over the coming weeks to see if they can do us a deal for 20 or so people and make sure the bar will be open late! Though by taxi and tram or mini bus the city centre isnt out of the question.

2. Hotel on edge of city
There are probably several options here, but the one that comes to mind is the Premier Inn at Phoenix Park. This is again easily accessed as its just off Junction 26 of the M1 and its about 15 minutes from the club. ALSO the last tram stop is just across the road which is therefore about a 25 minute tram ride into the city for bars, restaurants etc. There are also a couple of chain pub type places nearby so anyone who doesnt fancy the city can still get a bite to eat, perhaps late on Sunday night for instance?

3. Hotel within Nottingham city
So many option and such a wide choice of costs and styles. Easy access to bars and restaurants, pubs, shops, etc etc. But it will be about 30 minutes drive from the club if you are lucky which is probably going to be even more in midweek rush hour traffic and depending upon the hotel, parking might be in a city centre multi storey? A minibus or even hired coach isnt out of the question to get us to the club one day if we are staying for a meal, and may even be worth considering for all 3 days?

What are everyone's feelings on this matter? Please let me know so I can then do further work on the preferred option, though people will obviously be okay to go their own way if they want?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
After working through various accommodation possibilities its looking like we have the following options:

1. Hotel near to the course
There are a couple of options here. One in Mansfield which probably seems a bit of a turnoff for most or one, the Dakota http://www.dakotanottingham.co.uk/ just off Junction 27 of the M1 motorway and about 5 minutes from the club. I will drop into the Dakota at some point over the coming weeks to see if they can do us a deal for 20 or so people and make sure the bar will be open late! Though by taxi and tram or mini bus the city centre isnt out of the question.

2. Hotel on edge of city
There are probably several options here, but the one that comes to mind is the Premier Inn at Phoenix Park. This is again easily accessed as its just off Junction 26 of the M1 and its about 15 minutes from the club. ALSO the last tram stop is just across the road which is therefore about a 25 minute tram ride into the city for bars, restaurants etc. There are also a couple of chain pub type places nearby so anyone who doesnt fancy the city can still get a bite to eat, perhaps late on Sunday night for instance?

3. Hotel within Nottingham city
So many option and such a wide choice of costs and styles. Easy access to bars and restaurants, pubs, shops, etc etc. But it will be about 30 minutes drive from the club if you are lucky which is probably going to be even more in midweek rush hour traffic and depending upon the hotel, parking might be in a city centre multi storey? A minibus or even hired coach isnt out of the question to get us to the club one day if we are staying for a meal, and may even be worth considering for all 3 days?

What are everyone's feelings on this matter? Please let me know so I can then do further work on the preferred option, though people will obviously be okay to go their own way if they want?

Cheers,

James

Well done, James.

I know the Dakota "chain" fairly well as it's first hotel outside of Glasgow was within spitting distance of my wife's workplace and the second one (outside of Edinburgh) is on the way from my house to my daughter's trampolining classes and I have been known to double back there for a drink and or a bite to eat whilst waiting for my wee petal to stop bouncing.  Good to see that they have ventured out into Mittelingerland.  Very stylish, very good food and reasonably priced.  However, they are quiet hotels, full of poseurs, and unlikely to be enamored by a rowdy crowd of golfers late into the night.

As for the middle of Nottingham, there be dragons there, and I think that the 30+ minute daily drives to and from the courses is a bit too much.

As for the Premier Inn option, it is the Caddyshack equivalent of the "pond" (vs. the "pool" that is the Dakota), which makes it perfect for BUDA--15 minutes away from the golf, easily findable even if in distress, cheap and cheerful pubs in close proximity and a tram line to the center of Dragonland to boot!  Beam us down there safely for three days, Boonie and you will be legend.....

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »
Rich, as you know we can "pose" with the best of them.  Your recommendation does sound good.  Thanks for the work Boonie!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 12:41:37 PM »
Premier Inns have been known to do 'deals' if you're booking multiple rooms.

In addition, folowing positive feedback at Burnham on participants playing in the open comp at Westward Ho!/RND immediately after last years St Enodoc Buda, I have already had a wee scout around the web to try to find if there are any open comps scheduled at other clubs in the Notts area at dates coinciding with Buda-'15. No success in finding any so far but it's a bit early for many clubs to be publishing their comp dates just yet. I shall continue to keep a lookout though and will advise if I come across any.

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
Boony

I am interested in playing Tues PM and Wed Am, but I am not sure if this is permitted.  Please advise. 

So far as the hotel, I agree with Rihc, Premier Inn Nottingham West would be my preference.  I suspect to get good rates the hotels have to be paid for when booking.  To save you hassle, it may be best to suggest a hotel of choice and require Pests to be responsible for their own bookings.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
Wow, that was fast. I can turn my maybe into a definite possibility! Which means more likely than not.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
It's been a few years since I've been able to even try to work my schedule around a Buda. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing next August right now, but I will try my best figure an itinerary which includes this. Last time I was at Sherwood Forest I was caddying for our club pro Leo Feeney. That would have been 1974 or '75.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
It's been a few years since I've been able to even try to work my schedule around a Buda. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing next August right now, but I will try my best figure an itinerary which includes this. Last time I was at Sherwood Forest I was caddying for our club pro Leo Feeney. That would have been 1974 or '75.

Eight years since Hoylake, six since Elie and Lundin!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:39 AM »
I am happy to offer transport from Manchester Airport to Nottingham and back for up to three visitors plus gear. Arrive on the Sunday morning and I'll throw in a round at Reddish Vale as an appetiser!

Michael Graham

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
I am happy to offer transport from Manchester Airport to Nottingham and back for up to three visitors plus gear. Arrive on the Sunday morning and I'll throw in a round at Reddish Vale as an appetiser!

That's a very generous offer Duncan. That would be ideal as I could get a direct train from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport on the Sunday morning. A round at Reddish Vale would be an added bonus.

Michael

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »
Anyone flying into or out of Manchester Airport pre- or post-Buda is welcome as my guest at Wilmslow - could easily be combined with a round at Reddish Vale, too. I'm sure I'll be able to get deals on Prestbury and Sandiway, too, playing with members. All the clubs are keen to raise their profile internationally.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »

Every year I look at the posts and I'm jealous. But I'm afraid I have to go where my agent sends me, most of the time...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »

Every year I look at the posts and I'm jealous. But I'm afraid I have to go where my agent sends me, most of the time...

Good thing there's plenty of time for him to arrange some gigs in England about that time next year!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »
Gutted at not been able to make this but in the middle of the season I can't get away. Great venues and James will be a great host. For those travelling from further afield it is worth staying a little longer and playing Lindrick (ex RC course) which is just up the road as well as Moortown, Alwoodley and a host of other great courses within an hour or so drive.

Jon

John Mayhugh

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
James,
Ordinarily I would like to stay close to the course.  Nottingham seems like a great place to spend a few nights, but with a dinner at the club one of the nights, I'm not sure how much time there would be there.  For me, it all comes down to how dismal Mansfield truly is. Clean rooms and decent pubs nearby are good enough for me.  I could live with any of the options.   

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 03:14:22 PM »
A little to my surprise and delight...I'm in. ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
Boys I am afraid I am going to withdraw.

I have planned for too long to attend this Walker Cup in Liverpool and the dates are just too far apart to stay over nor can I  justify the coming and going of two trips.

I am disappointed fer sure

Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
It is only December and the USA(rest of the world) has suffered a big loss.  Ward, who will carry me in four ball?  Your presence both on and off the course will be missed in 2015.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

James Boon

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
Ward,

Sorry to hear you wont be able to make it. As Lynn says a big loss for the USA team!

Of course if you want to venture over to Notts whilst over here for the Walker Cup etc then please let me know!

All,

Apologies for the delay in getting details finalised. I should be posting an update in the first couple of weeks of the new year.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Paul Gray

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
I would dearly love to make it to my first BUDA outing but have absolutely no idea what work commitments will look like nearer the time so can't offer the USA (rest of the world) team a shoe-in victory against me +1.  :)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
It is only December and the USA(rest of the world) has suffered a big loss.  Ward, who will carry me in four ball?  Your presence both on and off the course will be missed in 2015.

I would volunteer to carry you as I did Ward in four ball, but I won't be there either.

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

I would volunteer to carry you as I did Ward in four ball, but I won't be there either.

;D

So you are one and done?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back