News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

you wanted it to appeal to a GCAer and the average hardcore golfer (non-GCAer), what would you write on it, besides a photo?  It would be on a major highway.

Bill_McBride

Re: If you could design a billboard for a new course that you love and...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
18 cool holes, free cold beer

MClutterbuck

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
Unless it is inside a major city, I would never have the visual contamination of a billboard to advertise a golf course.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
Billboards?

Is this just a hypothetical exercise or are you looking for some practical application? 

Other than gas stations, adult superstores, Christmas wonderlands and "mystery spots" - who is designing and renting billboards these days?

Who would be your target demographic - truck drivers and minivans of families on cross-country excursions?  Certainly not millennials...

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
Billboards?

Is this just a hypothetical exercise or are you looking for some practical application? 

Other than gas stations, adult superstores, Christmas wonderlands and "mystery spots" - who is designing and renting billboards these days?

Who would be your target demographic - truck drivers and minivans of families on cross-country excursions?  Certainly not millennials...

Petoskey, MI uses billboards on i-23 and 475 in Toledo, but I guess they don't know what they are doing. You don't see golf courses advertised on your way up to Kingsley?  There are some on i-23 and 75, but i know you don't take that route. 

Milennials have money?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
18 cool holes, free cold beer

with that policy, you'd only need 9 cool holes ;) ;D
sounds perfect actually
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
Photo of deeeep pot bunker with the words ROAD HOLE

Jason Thurman

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure I had this as a test question in third grade.

It's hard to top this though:

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »

Could cause a pileup on the Interstate as drivers ponder whether it's an ad for a Perkins. a Joslyn James film, or a Golf Digest subscription.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
A little 9 holer in east Texas used to have a simple sign that said, "Titties and beer"

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »

Could cause a pileup on the Interstate as drivers ponder whether it's an ad for a Perkins. a Joslyn James film, or a Golf Digest subscription.

Now that's funny, well played.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ken Fry

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
I always thought the "Pure Michigan" billboards did a nice job.  Great visual, very little text.  The courses used for the billboards could be argued but they do provide a striking visual.

Ken

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
Billboards?

Billboards don't work on millennials- they don't look up.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
Just like grandpa used to play

Jason Thurman

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
Billboards?

Millennials are always staring at their phone. If only someone would invent something new. Something like a billboard, but that you can see on your phone. Imagine if there was a "billboard" for your phone that showed photos of the course and maybe some description of it or marketing text. Wouldn't that be amazing? Maybe Al Gore will invent something like that someday...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Billboards?

Millennials are always staring at their phone. If only someone would invent something new. Something like a billboard, but that you can see on your phone. Imagine if there was a "billboard" for your phone that showed photos of the course and maybe some description of it or marketing text. Wouldn't that be amazing? Maybe Al Gore will invent something like that someday...

I like it.  Better yet, maybe they come up with some cool dohicky thing where they could actually play golf on their phone- then they wouldn't have to look up, leave the comfort of their homes, break a sweat or socially interact.  Perfect.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Driving out of NYC on I-78 this weekend saw a billboard advertising Shackamaxon memberships. Mentioned "Tillinghast Golf" as a sell9ing point.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »
Here's one.  You simply try to draw them in with raw, unbridled sex appeal:

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
Bet you're not good enough to play here!

I'm going with challenge rather than coddle!

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
''A very exclusive, non-exclusive place'' with a photo in the background. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 03:42:38 PM »
This one would work for me, if I were in the area:

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back