News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Butler

Re: 10 Ross Designs on Your Wish List
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
You may want to consider joining the Donald Ross Society (www.donaldross.org).  We have been fortunate to play many of these Ross courses and will in future outings.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
Anyone that has Holston Hills on their list (especially Jack & Sean) have only yourselves to blame.  Would be glad to have you out there sometime.

Tucky

Well, I wouldn't expect my not being in Tennessee to be the fault of anybody but myself.  Maybe one day, but life isn't all roses and golf ya know  :D 

Being more realistic, I expect any Ross courses I see shall will be in Michigan or the Carolinas.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:37 AM »
Brian Hoover,

Good choice for #1. Plainfield is terrific, and after Pinehurst #2, is probably my favorite Ross. I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more often so far on this thread.

Gulph Mills should also be on everyone's list.

I don't have a particular order, but I want to play everything mentioned here! Other than the obvious (Seminole!), I would say that one that sticks out to me as particularly interesting from what I have read/seen is Wannamoisett.

Excellent call on Gulph Mills. It's in the class with Plainfield and Wannamoisett for me, and I loved all three.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

BHoover

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »
Brian Hoover,

Good choice for #1. Plainfield is terrific, and after Pinehurst #2, is probably my favorite Ross. I'm surprised I don't see it mentioned more often so far on this thread.

Gulph Mills should also be on everyone's list.

I don't have a particular order, but I want to play everything mentioned here! Other than the obvious (Seminole!), I would say that one that sticks out to me as particularly interesting from what I have read/seen is Wannamoisett.

There are just too many choices to come up with an adequate list. But that was the question, so I put together a list based on whether I realistically may have a chance to play in the foreseeable future. Granted there are a couple reaches on my list, but I don't see myself playing Seminole any time soon, so why put it on my list (granted, I have no plans to be anywhere near Rhode Island either). But my point is that it's tough to come up with a list that will satisfy either me or anyone else. Too many courses, too little time (to say nothing of money or permission from wives!).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:50:34 AM by Brian Hoover »

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »
Pinehurst 2 - need a good green fee deal though...I am not paying top whack
Holston Hills
French Lick
Whitsinville
Charles Wright
Wannamoissett
White Bear Yacht Club - is this a Ross though?
Essex County
Glen Falls
Seminole

Could easily just play whichever (proper) Ross happens to be nearby.  Like Colt's courses, its rare I think a day was wasted on a Ross course.

Ciao   
Sean- playing No 2 Fri for $250 plus caddy fee. Not cheap but a decent deal IMO. Fundraiser for the Tufts Archives and CGA. A shotgun start but I Get to start on 18 so pretty close to how it should be played. Hard to stomach the full freight, I agree.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Anyone that has Holston Hills on their list (especially Jack & Sean) have only yourselves to blame.  Would be glad to have you out there sometime.
John,    I'm hoping this is the year I get down your way- would like to throw in French Lick and Lookout Mountain as well.

John Foley

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:47 AM »
I've seen a bunch of his work and like it is always enjoyable.

Pl;ace I hope to get to:

Orchards
Salem
Sakonnet
Wannamoisett
Glens Falls
CC of Buffalo

Does anyone vary the par 3's better?
Integrity in the moment of choice

J_ Crisham

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
I've seen a bunch of his work and like it is always enjoyable.

Pl;ace I hope to get to:

Orchards
Salem
Sakonnet
Wannamoisett
Glens Falls
CC of Buffalo

Does anyone vary the par 3's better?
John,    You won't be disappointed at Wannamoisette- as clever a routing using a smallish property as I've seen. You never feel claustrophobic. It is also a very difficult course IMO. I would categorize it as a course you would gladly get on a plane to go play it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
The other Ross thread motivated me to spend a couple of hours this morning rereading Discovering Donald Ross. Over the years I've tried to see /play a variety of his designs . I identified 10 of his courses that I hope to visit in the next year or two. Which ones are on your radar and why?
1) Pinehurst 2  -I look forward to seeing what may be Ross's finest.
2) Northland in Duluth - I've been blown away by his other MN work especially WBYC
3) Holston Hills - said to be one of Ross best preserved
4) Sakonnet - appears to be fun , seaside golf
5) French Lick -  I've heard the greens are a blast putt
6) Brookside Canton - again the greens are reputed to be amazing
7) Whittensville - never seen a 9 hole Ross and this I supposed to be a dandy
8)Augusta CC -  my pals that have played it just rave about how good a test of golf it is
9) Shennecossett - drove by it 2 yrs ago on the way to Metacomet - wish I would have squeezed it in
10) CC of Buffalo - those holes around the quarry and the visible rock outcropping just look fun

J-If you pair pair Shenny with Misquamicut Club you would have a great 36 hole day courtesy of Donald Ross. There is a tremendous variety of terrain at Misquamicut with the outward holes playing on some really interesting land forms and the inward holes(11-17) playing across Ocean View Highway along the water.

Paul Jones

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
Salem CC
Holston Hills
Aronimink
Gulph Mills
Augusta CC
French Lick
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 04:57:18 AM »
Pinehurst 2 - need a good green fee deal though...I am not paying top whack
Holston Hills
French Lick
Whitsinville
Charles Wright
Wannamoissett
White Bear Yacht Club - is this a Ross though?
Essex County
Glen Falls
Seminole

Could easily just play whichever (proper) Ross happens to be nearby.  Like Colt's courses, its rare I think a day was wasted on a Ross course.

Ciao  
Sean- playing No 2 Fri for $250 plus caddy fee. Not cheap but a decent deal IMO. Fundraiser for the Tufts Archives and CGA. A shotgun start but I Get to start on 18 so pretty close to how it should be played. Hard to stomach the full freight, I agree.

Tom

I hope you enjoy yourself.  

Has anybody mentioned Oakland Hills?  I am told there is a serious renovation on the cards after hosting some event or other.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Greg Holland

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »

[/quote]

Tom

I hope you enjoy yourself.  

Has anybody mentioned Oakland Hills?  I am told there is a serious renovation on the cards after hosting some event or other.

Ciao
[/quote]

I posted about OH long ago -- one of my books either Wexler or Shackelford if I recall, had a drawing of the Ross routing of OH, and it looked more interesting than the RTJ redo.  Ross had utilized a creek, and RTJ made it ponds.  Do to tournament history I know they would never go back, but that could be cool.

Jason Harrison

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:16 AM »
Gents I need to get on this site more often. You have to see Worcester CC if you are checking out Ross gems in New England. I will spend some time uploading some photos in the coming days. But IMO it is worth the look and has alot of golf history.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
Gents I need to get on this site more often. You have to see Worcester CC if you are checking out Ross gems in New England. I will spend some time uploading some photos in the coming days. But IMO it is worth the look and has alot of golf history.

+1

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »
York CC
Franklin Hills
Kernwood
Essex
Mid Pines
Pine Needles
Warwick CC
Concord CC, Concord MA
Glens Falls
White bear Yacht Club

jonathan_becker

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
If you haven't played Canton Brookside and it's not on your list then you need to get your head examined!  :)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
Aronomink
Augusta
Beverly
Charlotte
Congress Lake
CC of Buffalo
Essex
Northland
Roaring Gap
Wannamoisett

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
My 10 are as follows:

Inverness
Franklin Hills
CC of Buffalo
Brookside - Canton
Schuykill
White Bear Yacht Club
Congress Lake
Roaring Gap
Glen Falls
Springfield CC OH

jonathan_becker

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:46 PM »
Gulf Stream GC
Gulph Mills GC
White Bear Yacht Club
Augusta CC
Scioto CC
Old Elm Club
Indian Hill Club
Essex County Club
Franklin Hills CC
Oakland Hills CC
Linville GC

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
Since I'm still in my GCA apprenticeship, all of mine are in Michigan:

Franklin Hills
Grosse Ile
Detroit GC
Dearborn CC
Muskegon CC
Oakland Hills
Rackham
Barton Hills
Warren Valley
Elk Rapids

Chris DeToro

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
Since I'm still in my GCA apprenticeship, all of mine are in Michigan:

Franklin Hills
Grosse Ile
Detroit GC
Dearborn CC
Muskegon CC
Oakland Hills
Rackham
Barton Hills
Warren Valley
Elk Rapids

Muskegon is an underrated course.  The land has such great movement and some great blind landing area tee shots

BHoover

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »
Northland

Becker, when you come up to Minnesota, we can hit Northland, WBYC and wherever else you want to play!

BHoover

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
If you haven't played Canton Brookside and it's not on your list then you need to get your head examined!  :)

Wise man! He knows what he's talking about, at least in this case!   ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

+1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back