News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Best courses in GB&I since 1990 and the Castle Course
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »
Saw the thread on the best courses since 1990 and immediatly thought of the Castle course. I know it just scored a zero on the Doak scale. Yes it has a bunch of shortcomings.

I have played it several times and seem to recall some holes that had some merit, or maybe it was just the high of being in Scotland. That being said does anyone think it could be rehabbed into something good or maybe even a bit better than good? Or should it be plowed under and started again?

Could a good archie get in there and make it something special? Lord knows it has some great views and wonderful neighbors. Or will it be forever in the dung heap of Doak zeroness?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ryan Coles

Re: Best courses in GB&I since 1990 and the Castle Course
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
I believe they already have a good architect.

It has some shortcomings but imo is far from mind poisoning.

If I was in the area, I'd have it as third choice after the Old Course and Kingsbarns and believe most people will have more fun there than on the  other courses in town and the nearby Fairmont's. It is taking a lot of visitors and has achieved what the Links Trust set out to do. Doak doesn't like it, no big deal. The greens are too severe, no big deal, not like people play it every week, it presents something different. It is holiday golf and a nice contrast to those around it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:40:27 AM by Ryan Coles »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
I think there are good bits and bad bits with the CC. The greens for me were too wild and with hazards or slopes infront it became 'unlinkslike', maybe I am assuming it should have reflected more of a links. Few great holes 17 is a wow.

For all it gets a bad rap on here it once again shows that this site is the minor head and commercially it has been a massive winner and for the majority it is an absolute must play and the twice I have been there TCC has been packed and Kingsbarns has been dead, the reason I was told was TCC was twenty quid cheaper and has taken a lot of business.

Our members went there and loved it and when I geeceeayed them about it's faults they largely agreed but still would want to play it again.

I think TD said that although it was a zero it was not a zero in the sense it was worse than a 1 and more of a zero for being a wasted chance, which I suppose is fair comment for TCC and perhaps what most architects would say of anothers work as most people seek out the minor faults if something is pretty good. I think on the Doak Scale I would score it a 6 but it should have been an 8.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
Never played CC though have seen it a couple of times. I would want to play it except for the silly price tag. As it is the New seems like much better value to me and with Elie, etc just down the road I doubt I ever will.

As for the best new course. Its hard to see past Castle Stuart as far as I am concerned.

Jon

Tim Johnson

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »
Carne would be my choice and my vote doesn't include the new 9 as I haven't played it but from what I see and hear, it would still get my vote.
The natural feel of Carne lets you feel like you are playing a course that has been there for decades.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back