News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

What are Donald Ross's best or most distinctive holes?
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
I was looking for something else and stumbled across this photo:

What a fascinating hole.
I think the photo is from JNagle.

Anyway, it made me wonder what other exceptional holes he might have out there.

I babbled on a while back about a couple of holes in the Pinehurst area which I thought were worthy of being pointed out.

12 at Mid Pines:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43112.0/

8 on the original Pinehurst No. 3
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44652.0.html

The esteemed Ian Andrews wrote about the 4th of Seminole.
http://ianandrewsgolfdesignblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/4th-at-seminole.html

Ran wrote a terrific piece on the 5th of No. 2.
http://golfclubatlas.com/the-best-of-golf-the-fifth-at-pinehurst-no-2/

Which ones do you think should be noted?
(And btw, apologies if a thread like this has been done before.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:00:29 PM by Chris Buie »

Ronald Montesano

Re: What are Donald Ross's best or most distinctive holes?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:04:52 PM »
Buie, last things first. That image of #6 at Country Club of Buffalo is distorted. The green is not that small nor that distant. The hole is ungodly unique and quintessentially natural, so it is unforgettable and distinct.

This is a gargantuan task, mi amigo. With so many holes on so many courses, you're asking us to select Lope de Verga or Shakespeare's most distinctive verse.

You've come to the correct place.

I'm going to nominate the 11th at Teugega. It will come up in a few days on my current MPT (Montesano Photo Tour) of that esteemed club.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
I'll nominate 13 at Franklin Hills.

#2 at Grosse Ile is very good and a bit of a different take driving up to the flat (for the long hitters) - superb green with OOB directly to the rear.

Jeepers, the 10th at Grosse Ile is damn fine as well.  The drive looks innocent enough down a fairway which appears to be flat...until one reaches an area approximately 175 yards from the green.  The hole then dives through a valley then up to meet a plateau green somewhat stepped into a mildly rising hill.  Again, the green is a stunner.

Playing uphill for its entire 330 yards (from the tips), the 4th at Mid Pines is reachable, but a high number is there for the ill-advised golfer.  Many tee shots will roll to the extreme right side of the fairway leaving a heroic shot to anywhere on the green, although a back hole location as seen in the photo is especially dicey.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:33:02 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Chris DeToro

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:23:45 PM »
I'll go with the 3rd at Wannamoisett as the best hole--might actually be my favorite hole in golf

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Thanks Ronald. That hole looked like a pretty tough target!
I look forward to seeing the Teugega hole.
You're right it's a big question! Maybe it will be manageable if we focus on the truly exceptional instead of the very good? But anything people feel like pointing out is fine with me.

Terrific Sean. I hope the Franklin Hills one is a shorter hole otherwise it looks like playing it would be a Keystone Cops comedy routine.
Regarding the 10th at Grosse Ile, I love those hole that seem innocuous but then it slowly dawns on you that there is more going on than you thought.

Thanks Chris DeToro!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:34:36 PM by Chris Buie »

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
Chris

The 13th at Franklin is a drive-wedge type hole...very difficult as only the right shot will do. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

BCowan

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »
S,

Excellent choices.  All holes are personal favorites of mine :).  Will be at mid pines next week

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »
That picture of the 6th at CC of Buffalo is indeed a distinctive hole, but it might not even be the best par-3 on that course.  The long par-3 8th, with a ridge 40 yards in front of the green, was a really cool find, too; in fact the 16th hole at CC-B would be the best par-3 on the vast majority of courses.

The 6th and 11th at Glens Falls CC would also make my list of Ross' most distinctive holes.  Perhaps the 17th at Monroe, too.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
9 at Charles river and 4 Shennecossett get my vote.  Both are fascinating volcano par 3's.

Mark

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:24:50 PM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
Chris, It occurs to me that the #6 at CCBuffalo just photographs that way. I'm looking through images I have of the hole from the ridge to the left, to the right and from the tee, and they all make the green look "wafer thin." Fortunately for those playing it, it is not quite that gaunt. I always tell my golfers to play to the front with an 8 iron...usually a club they can manage.

Here are some images from the tour I did last year on GCA. The last image is from the 13th fairway, looking up at the rear of the green.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »
A par 3:

#11 at Essex...a great uphill par three of 175 with hazards on all sides but the front edge, and a wickedly sloping green.  During the last Mass. Amateur there, several of the state's best agreed the play was to hit it short and chip up the hill every round!

A par 4:

#13 at Salem...a club-down tee shot to a fun valley fairway...then uphill to a mind-bending tabletop green with two tiers and 4-5 different sections to frustrate approach shots, almost all of which come with a wedge in hand!

A par 5:

#13 at Winchester...dual fairway off the tee, the right side is narrower but offers a nice view of the narrowing second shot, and the left is wider but more sloped, and leaves an awkward angle for the second.  The third is a tight short iron to a small back-to-front green.  Many of Ross's par fives have been neutered by longer-flying golf balls, and many of them take up less-interesting pieces of property.

How about some great Ross par 5s?  Anyone? Buellar?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
#1 at Charles River, 1 at White Bear Y Club, 9 at Wannamoissette , 5 at Beverly all come to mind.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
It should be noted that Ross (or his minions) was arguably best known for building very good non-distinctive holes and stringing them together with smart routings.  Distinctive holes are perhaps the exception rather than the rule.  I'm working on a distinctive 18.  So far all I have is the dual fairway 7th at Holston Hills. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Boehm

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
11 at Oakland hills south

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:16 PM »
#'s1 & 11 at  Plainfield CC
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
Not sure it's a "best" hole, but the Battleship hole at Bald Peak is certainly distinctive. Picture from an earlier thread that doesn't quite do it justice:

Ed Homsey

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
Par 3:  the15th at Teugega

Par 5:  the 13th at Oak Hill cc East (I do not believe that the hole has been changed markedly by those who followed Ross)

Par 4:  #17 Teugega

hhuffines

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
Going local here... Raleigh CC par threes number 3 and 17.   Not overly long but can be really tough!

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
Wannamoisett #3 gets my vote also.  I love #6 at Holston.
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
#2 at Franklin Hills and #16 at Barton Hills

JC Urbina

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
J Crisham,

I am surprised you picked  the 1st hole at WBYC, I have always felt that the 12th hole at WBYC was way more unique, more then anythng I  have seen on a Ross course. It takes three photos to prove my point, none of which I have in my possesion now.

Imagine with me a perched green site falling away at 3-4%.  A landing area just short of the green allows you to land on the approach so that the ball dribbles onto the green pad.  Very unusual approach and one that I wish I could use for inspiration somewhere on a new design.

My second vote would be the 14th green site at WBYC

Jason Kang

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »
Bogey, consider the 9th green at Kahkwa.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the front punchbowlesque putting surface rare for a Ross course?  

It should be noted that Ross (or his minions) was arguably best known for building very good non-distinctive holes and stringing them together with smart routings.  Distinctive holes are perhaps the exception rather than the rule.  I'm working on a distinctive 18.  So far all I have is the dual fairway 7th at Holston Hills. 

Bogey

J_ Crisham

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 06:05:03 AM »
J Crisham,

I am surprised you picked  the 1st hole at WBYC, I have always felt that the 12th hole at WBYC was way more unique, more then anythng I  have seen on a Ross course. It takes three photos to prove my point, none of which I have in my possesion now.

Imagine with me a perched green site falling away at 3-4%.  A landing area just short of the green allows you to land on the approach so that the ball dribbles onto the green pad.  Very unusual approach and one that I wish I could use for inspiration somewhere on a new design.

My second vote would be the 14th green site at WBYC
Jim,  I have no disagreement with your selections-at WBYC so many dandies to chose from. How about the 2nd hole? How cool is that one? May be the sportiest course Ross designed IMO - every hole is fun and somewhat unique.

abmack

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »
Mark,

I completely agree with your take on 4 at Shennecossett. A very good not-obvious choice.

I am going to nominate some another not-obvious ones:

17 at Sakonnet Golf Club (Little Compton, RI)
par 4 - 275 yards

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:02:32 AM by Andrew Mack »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back