News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

This question is primarily directed towards those of you who are toiling at an office desk job during the day. How much time do you spend reading the various threads and looking for new posts?  I find that it's very addictive and though I don't post very often, any time I get stuck on a long conference call or just want to zone out for a bit, I find the GCA tractor beam sucking me in.  If I had to estimate, I probably spend about 60-90 minutes per day with this board as an active screen on my computer. 

John Connolly

Re: Informal Study/Poll of how addictive the GCA Discussion Board is...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
You mean like now when, at work, I slowly roll my chair over to my computer for a quick peek of a photo tour and see this thread instead?

No, never. I don't get sucked into GCA at all ... ever ...
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
There are days I spend an hour or so wandering through this forum or "contributing" to various threads.

Other days I take a quick look during my morning coffee and another while my wife is watching TV in the evening.

Some days are in between.

Currently I'm probably at 3 to 3-1/2 hours per week or so. Until recently it had been somewhat less. This is the only online forum in which I participate so I come here any time I want a few minutes distraction.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
Incredibly addictive…if I'm not reading through the threads, I'm reading through the course profiles and daydreaming

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
Cold winter day in town? Waaaay too many days too early this year
Laptop on, writing, Golf channel on,net surfing,researching for the show, checking GCA,
Could be 10-20 checks a day-Arble winter tours at the ready ;D ;)
Don't really get Facebook or Twitter

In season, not so much
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
This question is primarily directed towards those of you who are toiling at an office desk job during the day. How much time do you spend reading the various threads and looking for new posts?  I find that it's very addictive and though I don't post very often, any time I get stuck on a long conference call or just want to zone out for a bit, I find the GCA tractor beam sucking me in.  If I had to estimate, I probably spend about 60-90 minutes per day with this board as an active screen on my computer. 

Matthew,

Actually my addiction to Rivals college football is far greater than GCA these days. In part that is due to the format: sign up for your favorite team and you get more scoop than I would have ever imagined in the pre internet days. But, then there is the "Main Board" which is available to everyone and far more liberal what it comes to monitoring.

The site is mega addictive.
Tim Weiman

Robert Kimball

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
Used to go on it every day. Sometimes, I actually have to work, but I try my best.

not to sound like my dad during Thanksgiving, but I do miss the good ol' days.  Tommy, Tom Paul, Huckaby, Scott Borroughs (AOTD), David Eger . . . many other architects as well. 

Heck, I even talked to Lester George for a while on the phone after playing his renovated Cavalier GC in Virginia Beach.

Tommy recently tried to get me access to an exclusive course in CA, but it didn't work out, but he sure tried.

This is more than a discussion board. One can really make friends and connections with a legitimate desire to see great places (no belt notchers).

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
Don't know if it was down for everyone for the last hour, but on a snow day in Buffalo, it was refreshed about 20 times by me, until it finally came back up.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
I am an infrequent poster but go through my spurts of reading, especially the renovations.  Probably 2-3 hours per week.
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
My understanding is that there are a lot of lurkers out there.

Therefore I can neither confirm nor deny my involvement in said discussion board at any point day or night, during working or non working hours.

If I were to be involved, reading or actively participating in discussions it would not take me more than the necessary time it takes to conclude said activities.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back