News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: The Best Course in Every State
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
What about Sahalee in Washington?

If anything, Washington may be the state where you will find the least disagreement with the list on this site.

+1

No, Pine Valley in New Jersey is the easiest lock.

Really? Is Pine Valley that far afield of anything else in New Jersey (Ridgewood, Plainfield, Hollywood, Baltusrol) compared to Seminole and its competition? When I looked at the list, I thought Seminole was pretty much the easiest lock on it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »

If anything, Washington may be the state where you will find the least disagreement with the list on this site.

+1

No, Pine Valley in New Jersey is the easiest lock.

Really? Is Pine Valley that far afield of anything else in New Jersey (Ridgewood, Plainfield, Hollywood, Baltusrol) compared to Seminole and its competition? When I looked at the list, I thought Seminole was pretty much the easiest lock on it.

Woops, Bill! Already disagreement! And from a credible poster instead of from one with an ax to grind against walking only courses.
;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
I have a call in to CERN to reserve time for this thread on the Hadron Collider.

#picayune
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »
Another sort-of interesting tidbit: the publication lists Shinnie as the best in NY... while on its top 10 in the US list, two NY courses (WFW and NGLA) rank above it. 

I think one of the biggest disagreements here with the State list is Montana, where Rock Creek does not get the nod. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:32 AM »
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/washingtonquote author=GJ Bailey link=topic=59938.msg1415526#msg1415526 date=1416369817]

Woops, Bill! Already disagreement! And from a credible poster instead of from one with an ax to grind against walking only courses.
;D

Guess Golf Digest is against walking only courses too:

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »
I'll chime in on the New England Courses.

Not sure what " BEST " means. Many factors involved.

First course listed for each state is the Magazine choice, second is mine.

I'm sure there will be some head scratching from my fellow GCAers.

MAINE       SUGARLOAF           NORTHEAST HARBOR GOLF CLUB

NH           BAKER HILL            BRETWOOD NORTH

VT           EKWANOK              EKWANOK

MASS        TCC                     SALEM

RI            NEWPORT              WANNAMOISETT

CT           YALE                     CC OF FAIRFIELD
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tim Martin

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
I'll chime in on the New England Courses.

Not sure what " BEST " means. Many factors involved.

First course listed for each state is the Magazine choice, second is mine.

I'm sure there will be some head scratching from my fellow GCAers.

MAINE       SUGARLOAF           NORTHEAST HARBOR GOLF CLUB

NH           BAKER HILL            BRETWOOD NORTH

VT           EKWANOK              EKWANOK

MASS        TCC                     SALEM

RI            NEWPORT              WANNAMOISETT

CT           YALE                     CC OF FAIRFIELD

Pete-You really think CC of Fairfield is a "better" golf course than Yale? Looking at the list I thought this choice was a clear winner. I am a fan of CC of Fairfield but don't think it's even close which shows that you can't argue taste/personal preference.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »

Awful.
Mr Hurricane

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
Tim,

Having played both at least 5 or 6 times each, I like the variety of holes and the " feel " of Fairfield. If I was strictly conducting a competition in CT. , I would hold it at Yale or Black Hall.

I just love Fairfield . It's more enjoyable for me to play.

Like I posted earlier, everyone looks at different aspects of a course to foster an opinion.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
Fear the list maker aka The Black Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6ykpMqvs8
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
Tim,

Having played both at least 5 or 6 times each, I like the variety of holes and the " feel " of Fairfield. If I was strictly conducting a competition in CT. , I would hold it at Yale or Black Hall.

I just love Fairfield . It's more enjoyable for me to play.

Like I posted earlier, everyone looks at different aspects of a course to foster an opinion.

Pete-Thanks for your take. Go see Charles Bank's Tamarack down in Greenwich which I think might come before Black Hall on your personal list. I agree with Ekwanok in Vermont as well as Wannamoisett in RI.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »
In my honest opinion...

Kentucky: Idle Hour is a better course than Valhalla
Ohio: Camargo is a better course than Muirfield Village

...that's not to say that Valhalla or MV are bad courses, however.

I agree for certain, but at least there's an argument to be made either way. Perhaps the titling of this ranking should have been "most famous" rather than "best". Because I can also argue that while Idle Hour and Camargo win the golf course comparisons, Valhalla and Muirfield Village are obviously much higher profile and much more suited to hosting events.

You make a very good point and I would not disagree with you there!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »

;D

Guess Golf Digest is against walking only courses too:

Guess I haven't noticed Golf Digest posting here.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris DeToro

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »
I would tend to agree with Wannamoisett being the best course in RI.  The rankings are a bit weird--Golf Digest and Golf Magazine have Newport ahead, but Golfweek has Wannamoisett ahead in the best Classic rankings

Brad Tufts

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
I would say Essex for Mass. personally but that's because I have lots of playing history there.  I can see TCC being #1 with the history, the recent work, etc.  While Salem is great, I see it at best as #5 behind TCC/Essex/Myopia/Old Sandwich.  Salem is neck and neck with Winchester/Charles River/Boston GC, for me, but probably better than those three by a nose.

Maine is tough...it's not Sugarloaf (is it 1995?), and there are many great low-key adventures like NE Harbor/Kebo/Prout's Neck.  Penobscot Valley is pretty neat, and so is Portland CC.  I haven't seen Sunday River or Augusta CC but I don't see those changing things.  Paging Mr. Moore!

New Hampshire is similar to Maine...lots of diverse candidates, and I haven't seen them all.  Manchester/Lake Sunapee/a functioning Balsams are the best I have seen.  GC of NE is good too, but I have heard Baker Hill is a notch better (have not played it).  Never played Bretwood either.

VT...Have played all the relevant courses, and it's Ekwanok by a country mile.  Second place?  Rutland CC, by another mile.  Then a good mix of new like VT National/CC of VT/Green Mountain/Okemo/Jay Peak (have not played that one) and old Burlington/Dorset/Equinox/St. Johnsbury.  Those 9 are not in order.  It's one 8, one 7, and a bunch of 5s/6s.

RI is a great debate between Newport and Wannamoisett.  Both are really, really good.  Newport would be my everyday preference, but Wanny is such a great challenge.  Gnarlier conditions v. immaculate....might be a draw!  Newport needs to fix its bunkers...my last play there in summer 2013 they all had no sand!

CT...I've haven't played enough...about 10 courses only.  I have played Yale but not CC of Fairfield so I can't compare those.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 12:42:50 PM »
Tim,
  Appreciate the tip on Tamarack. I'll put it on my " Do Play " list for next year. Stan McFarland also mentioned it to me a while back. Will give it a play.

CT. has a number of tracks that are most enjoyable . Going through my mental database, Wee Burn, Hartford GC , Old Lyme, Race Brook, Richter, Round Hill, Tumble Brook and the Stanwich Club are all great tracks and fun to play. The greens at the Stanwich Club are the toughest I have ever seen and I have played a few rounds at ANGC and Oakmont ( Have played Oakmont 3 times and NO 3 PUTTS) . CT . has their fair share of great tracks in a small area , much like one would experience in Rhode Island.

Tim Martin

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
Tim,
  Appreciate the tip on Tamarack. I'll put it on my " Do Play " list for next year. Stan McFarland also mentioned it to me a while back. Will give it a play.

CT. has a number of tracks that are most enjoyable . Going through my mental database, Wee Burn, Hartford GC , Old Lyme, Race Brook, Richter, Round Hill, Tumble Brook and the Stanwich Club are all great tracks and fun to play. The greens at the Stanwich Club are the toughest I have ever seen and I have played a few rounds at ANGC and Oakmont ( Have played Oakmont 3 times and NO 3 PUTTS) . CT . has their fair share of great tracks in a small area , much like one would experience in Rhode Island.

Pete-Stanwich is one of the toughest courses around and not kind to the guest or occasional player looking to post a score.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »
GZIII is a member at Stanwich, correct? He was a top amateur for years, winning a mid-am and playing on 1 or 2 Walker Cup USA sides.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
The author is adorable. Poor thing makes list after list. It's just a tad embarrassing to go all full-nerd on her.

http://www.businessinsider.com/author/lauren-browning

I'd like to be on her list...

Anyway, I had braced myself for the #1 Michigan course to be Oakland Hills, but was relieved that it was Crystal Downs.  Alas, the author states it was designed by Mackenzie and PETER Maxwell.  Who's Peter Maxwell?

As for Colorado, I've played Ballyneal and CO Golf Club.  Castle Pines would have to have supermodels waiting for me in the woods to be better than either of those.

After seeing pictures of Rock Creek, I'd bet the farm that it's better than that Faldo design they picked for Montana.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:47:40 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

David Ober

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
Who writes these "blurbs"?

TEXAS: Dallas National Golf Club, Dallas
Tucked away from busy city life, Dallas National Golf Club is the premier course in the Lone Star State. Yet another Tom Fazio design, the course has five sets of tees to accommodate every ability level.

Wow! Really?? Five sets of tees!!  ::)

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Acting on GCA's behalf (really just because she's cute), I took time out of my busy day (actually I'm not doing anything), to email Miss Browning about our collective factual concerns.  Edits have been made except for the Kinloch pic.  Baby steps.  The conversation:

Lauren Browning

2:52 PM (1 hour ago)

to me

Thank you for your help and advice I will make the edits!

Best,

Lauren

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Tom Bacsanyi <bacsanyi@gmail.com> wrote:

Ms. Browning,

Nice list!  It provoked quite a discussion over at Golf Club Atlas, which is a site devoted to golf course design/architecture and related topics.  However, several inaccuracies were pointed out which I would like to pass along:

Michigan:  There is no Peter Maxwell, golf course architect.  It was Perry Maxwell.

Virginia:  The picture you chose was of a course called Kinloch in New Zealand.  Wrong hemisphere.

Hawaii:  Bill Coore, not Bill Moore

Colorado:  You meant Castle Pines Golf Club, not CC of Castle Pines.  Similar name, huge difference.

Thanks for the article and good luck in the future!

Sincerely,

Tom Bacsanyi

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:29 PM »
Chicago Golf Club is also not the oldest golf club or course in North America, but I wouldn't further complicate Lauren Browning's day with that one.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Chris DeToro

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Glad you got a response back from her!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »
I think the list is better than I expected, some of the states they actually got right.

John Blain

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
GZIII is a member at Stanwich, correct? He was a top amateur for years, winning a mid-am and playing on 1 or 2 Walker Cup USA sides.

Ron-

Zahringer resigned from Stanwich not long after he won the Mid Am there in 2002. He sold his house in CT and now lives exclusively in NYC and belongs to Deepdale and NGLA. His only WC appearance was in 2003.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back