News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: The Best Course in Every State
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
In Pennsylvania, Merion > Oakmont.
Jon,  Do you agree/disagree with this assessment ?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
This list is prime material for GCA'ers wanting to comment on courses they haven't seen before. Lemme take a shot! Muirfield Village is better than Camargo? I would say there's a 99.9% chance that this is not the case.. Castle Pines better than Colorado GC? I would have thought not.

And I put Ballybeal ahead of Colorado GC by a fair margin...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
Jon,  Do you agree/disagree with this assessment ?

I'm making the assessment. The article names Oakmont as the best course in Pennsylvania. I'm respectfully but adamantly disagreeing (and I'm a big fan of Oakmont).
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
In between his duties running the NYSGA (New York State Golf Association) and playing competitive golf, I'll have you know that Bill Moore and Ben Crenshaw get along just fine:  http://www.nysga.org/about-staff-contacts
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
This article is such a joke.  Glad they leveraged Wikipedia for their information.  At least they did get the best course in Michigan right! 

Not such a joke. A few missteps here and there. For example, they included an image of Pinehurst #18, not #2, although #2 is also a cool par four hole.

And I've always found Virginia to be the New Zealand of the USA.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »
"BTW, turns out that Pikewood National was designed by Donald Ross and Alister Mackenzie"

Yeah, it's easy to confuse Raese and Ross, but I have no idea of how Mackenzie got involved unless it was a well attended collaborative seance.

From the Pikewood website:

"Pikewood National is designed in the classic tradition of preeminent golf course architects, Donald Ross and Alister MacKenzie."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
Jon,  Do you agree/disagree with this assessment ?

Does he disagree with his own assessment?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

J_ Crisham

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
Jon,  Do you agree/disagree with this assessment ?

I'm making the assessment. The article names Oakmont as the best course in Pennsylvania. I'm respectfully but adamantly disagreeing (and I'm a big fan of Oakmont).
Why do you adamantly believe Merion is better than Oakmont? After reading thru the list I found the vast majority that were ranked as best to be spot on. I counted about 35 from personal experiences.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
This list is prime material for GCA'ers wanting to comment on courses they haven't seen before. Lemme take a shot! Muirfield Village is better than Camargo? I would say there's a 99.9% chance that this is not the case.. Castle Pines better than Colorado GC? I would have thought not.

And I put Ballybeal ahead of Colorado GC by a fair margin...

What about the Country Club of Ballybeal? Don't forget about that one ;D

Nigel Islam

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
"BTW, turns out that Pikewood National was designed by Donald Ross and Alister Mackenzie"

Yeah, it's easy to confuse Raese and Ross, but I have no idea of how Mackenzie got involved unless it was a well attended collaborative seance.

Donald Ross may have "designed" a course in the last twenty year for real. The story behind Vinny Links, an executive type course in Nashville, is that they found a set of old Ross plans in the trash by accident and constructed the course. I have no knowledge of whether this is true or not, but I read it on the internet so it must be.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
What about Sahalee in Washington?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »

If anything, Washington may be the state where you will find the least disagreement with the list on this site.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
"ILLINOIS: Chicago Golf Club, Wheaton -- The Chicago Golf Club is home to the oldest golf course in North America and is one of the founding clubs of the USGA. The historic course was designed by Charles Blair Macdonald in 1893."

Dang. Everything I thought I knew about the oldest courses in North America was wrong.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »

Donald Ross may have "designed" a course in the last twenty year for real. The story behind Vinny Links, an executive type course in Nashville, is that they found a set of old Ross plans in the trash by accident and constructed the course. I have no knowledge of whether this is true or not, but I read it on the internet so it must be.

I have not heard such a story, this sounds rather fascinating. I found this from the First Tee of Nashville:

"The VinnyLinks' green complexes were modeled after original drawings done by legendary golf course architect Donald Ross for a course he designed for the same area in the early 1920's, but was never built. The drawings were later found in a Metro Parks trash can in 1988 and were rescued by Danny Gibson, the city's director of golf at the time. The drawings are now displayed at Golf House Tennessee. It's in this spirit that the course is labeled a Donald Ross inspired facility."

Mike_Young

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »
I think it can be argued that Peachtree is a better golf course than ANGC in GA...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Dan Moore

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
Cribbing grossly oversaturated photos from Wikipedia and Flickr and they couldn't even find one of Chicago Golf Club. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Paul Jones

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »
I think it can be argued that Peachtree is a better golf course than ANGC in GA...

Do you believe it is better ?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Chris DeToro

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I don't take as much offense to the courses they chose, rather the level of proofing they did in publishing this article

Paul Jones

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
They got most of them correct
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Matthew Essig

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »

If anything, Washington may be the state where you will find the least disagreement with the list on this site.

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Mike_Young

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »

Do you believe it is better ?

I do....ANGC may have slightly better conditions at times but Peachtree just seems a better course to me...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
The author is adorable. Poor thing makes list after list. It's just a tad embarrassing to go all full-nerd on her.

http://www.businessinsider.com/author/lauren-browning

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »
In my honest opinion...

Kentucky: Idle Hour is a better course than Valhalla
Ohio: Camargo is a better course than Muirfield Village

...that's not to say that Valhalla or MV are bad courses, however.

I agree for certain, but at least there's an argument to be made either way. Perhaps the titling of this ranking should have been "most famous" rather than "best". Because I can also argue that while Idle Hour and Camargo win the golf course comparisons, Valhalla and Muirfield Village are obviously much higher profile and much more suited to hosting events.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
The author is adorable. Poor thing makes list after list. It's just a tad embarrassing to go all full-nerd on her.

http://www.businessinsider.com/author/lauren-browning

She interned at the North Pole. One list, but it takes all year to create and is on-the-fly flexible (the list, not her.)
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »

+1

No, Pine Valley in New Jersey is the easiest lock.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back