News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Hillenbrand

The Best Course in Every State
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »
Saw this while reading another post. This according to Business Insider magazine.

Any disagreement with this list?

BTW, turns out that Pikewood National was designed by Donald Ross and Alister Mackenzie

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-golf-course-in-every-state-2014-10?op=1

Ryan Hillenbrand

Re: The Best Course in Every State
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
The only definitive comment I can make is Dalhousie is not better than St Louis CC - and Dalhousie is a very nice course

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
i want a royalty for appearing in one of the photographs on this article dammit

as an unapologetic homer for both Scioto and OSU Scarlet, i would rank them both ahead of Muirfield, but i'm sure i'd get little support for this

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
i want a royalty for appearing in one of the photographs on this article dammit

as an unapologetic homer for both Scioto and OSU Scarlet, i would rank them both ahead of Muirfield, but i'm sure i'd get little support for this

You have my support.  Plus Kirtland and Inverness.  i haven't seen JN Scarlet. 

Kirk Gill

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
The Country Club at Castle Pines doesn't strike me as the best course in Colorado. I actually do like it more than some, but Ballyneal, Cherry Hills, and some others would have more backers, methinks.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Milwaukee CC is better than Whistling Straits.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
The Country Club at Castle Pines doesn't strike me as the best course in Colorado. I actually do like it more than some, but Ballyneal, Cherry Hills, and some others would have more backers, methinks.

They likely meant Castle Pines Golf Club, no?

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
In my honest opinion...

Kentucky: Idle Hour is a better course than Valhalla
Ohio: Camargo is a better course than Muirfield Village

...that's not to say that Valhalla or MV are bad courses, however.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
I thought the photo for Kinloch looked odd for Virginia.

Because it is of Jack's New Zealand course if they had bothered to click through and read.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »

Because it is of Jack's New Zealand course if they had bothered to click through and read.

That is a classic!  They also attributed Kapalua Plantation to Ben Crenshaw and Bill Moore, while applauding Peter Maxwell for his work at Prairie Dunes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael George

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
In addition to the Pikewood issue:

The picture of Kinloch is from the Kinloch in New Zealand.
His name is Bill Coore, not Bill Moore.
And I think they meant to reference Castle Pines Golf Club, rather than the CC at Castle Pines.

I don't expect Business Insider to know a hill of beans about golf courses, but at least do your research to get your facts straight.

The biggest upset of the picks would probably be Wilderness Club over Rock Creek Cattle Co......but it is always funny how any ranking string ends up being an attack on Jack Nicklaus and Muirfield Village GC.  Put me down as someone that loved that course.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

That is a classic!  They also attributed Kapalua Plantation to Ben Crenshaw and Bill Moore, while applauding Peter Maxwell for his work at Prairie Dunes.

OK smartass, if Bill Moore didn't design Kapalua, then who the hell did?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
In Pennsylvania, Merion > Oakmont.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:56 PM »
I clicked on a link to another article there... the best 10 golf courses in America. 

Can you guess which course is NOT included?....

... Pine Valley.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
This article is such a joke.  Glad they leveraged Wikipedia for their information.  At least they did get the best course in Michigan right! 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
I clicked on a link to another article there... the best 10 golf courses in America. 

Can you guess which course is NOT included?....

... Pine Valley.

Is that really a picture of THE Seminole? Or is it just a Seminole??

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

Coore, Mark, Coore
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
Saw this while reading another post. This according to Business Insider magazine.

Any disagreement with this list?

BTW, turns out that Pikewood National was designed by Donald Ross and Alister Mackenzie
Sounds about right knowing the egos involved at that place.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-golf-course-in-every-state-2014-10?op=1

Bill Seitz

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »
I'd take Links of North Dakota and Bully Pulpit over Hawktree, but I suppose it was the top course in the state at one point, so whatever.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »
I'd take Links of North Dakota and Bully Pulpit over Hawktree, but I suppose it was the top course in the state at one point, so whatever.  

I believe TD will have Bully Pulpit on top in CG vol 3.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »

Coore, Mark, Coore

Next time I'll include the emoticon  :)

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
...but it is always funny how any ranking string ends up being an attack on Jack Nicklaus and Muirfield Village GC.  Put me down as someone that loved that course.

I was thinking the same thing, Michael. It happens all the time. I love Scioto, and it's probably my favorite course in Columbus, but I don't think it a given that it's better than MV. My favorite course in Ohio is Brookside, but I wouldn't say that it's obviously better than MV.

At the end of the day, all rankings are subjective.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »

They likely meant Castle Pines Golf Club, no?

Well, one might think so, but they specified the Country Club at Castle Pines, and that's where the picture is from........... It's a decent enough course, but........not nearly the best in Colorado, in my humble, haven't-played-every-course-in-the-state opinion.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »

Coore, Mark, Coore

Next time I'll include the emoticon  :)

I thought that might have been the case, but I thought if you were trying to make a funny you would have picked on Peter too.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
"BTW, turns out that Pikewood National was designed by Donald Ross and Alister Mackenzie"

Yeah, it's easy to confuse Raese and Ross, but I have no idea of how Mackenzie got involved unless it was a well attended collaborative seance.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back