News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Bandon: one spot open March 9-11 2015
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
Hi all, I'm in a group of heading to Bandon in March. We had 8 but one dropped out so we've got an open spot. We've got 36-36-29 scheduled, playing all courses (I think we've got Bandon Dunes scheduled twice but I personally might try to horse trade that spot for another course, we'll see).

Let me know if you're interested. Please respond to this thread and then we can iron out any details. Nice mix of rates vs. daylight in March, it's a good time to go.

Blake Conant

Re: Bandon: one spot open March 9-11 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »
ya i might be interested if the spot is still available?

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
Blake, yes it's available...I'm going by the order that people post on this thread. And nobody has sent me any PMs about it anyway. It's your spot if you'd like to come. Alternates can still sign up below. Grand prize is you get to play one of the rounds with me. Consolation prize is you have to play two rounds with me.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
Maybe it will hail.  That's about the anniversary of the Kings Putter there. 

Matt Bosela

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »
Joel -

Just watch out for those bears on the back nine at Trails.  I sleep well at night knowing that I saved not only your life, but Whitty and John Moore's as well during the KP. ;)

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
Mr. McBride, I liked that March time slot so that's why we're trying it again. Hoping to get some summer wind mixed in this time, but who knows.

Matt, that will teach you to hit it into the woods. I hit the ball all over the yard but at least I'm sensible enough to aim away from deadly threats such as course rangers.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »
Update: Blake was the first to respond and we will see if he can confirm.

Two others have expressed interest as well, in case it doesn't work out for Blake.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
Joel, at the risk of taking this on a tangent.....whats the weather like at that time of year there? I have a group heading there in late March. They know to expect to "play in layers". Is it likely to be better or worse than that?

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
Joel, at the risk of taking this on a tangent.....whats the weather like at that time of year there? I have a group heading there in late March. They know to expect to "play in layers". Is it likely to be better or worse than that?

I have been to Bandon once, in March 2011 for the KPI. How was the weather? We had beautiful weather, and we had terrible weather. The sun shone. The wind blew. The rain fell. The wind relented. The hail pelted. The sun returned. The rain came again.

Then we got to the 2nd tee.

That went on pretty much the whole time for three days, except for the round at Trails. That round was pretty calm; not sure if it's because it isn't right on the water or if it was just coincidence.

There was no break in play though. It actually enhanced the experience. I'm sure the weather could have been worse, but there was only a brief hail delay for about 10 minutes.

How March weather compares to any other month's weather I really can't say.

My advice would be to pack the following:
- One pair of rain pants. Plan to wear that the whole time on the course
- One pair of jeans for when you're not playing
- Several layers of shirts/wind shirts
- 50 pairs of socks
- Vaseline and band-aids

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
Don't forget earplugs.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »

Don't forget earplugs.

??? ???    Can't see you sharing a room. 

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »

I recall Mr McBride taking his backswing on BD 16th just as a massive gust if wind hit him head on.  He almost whiffed from the force of it.   10 minutes later we were pelted with hail.

Still one of my favorite golf trips!!!!!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »
Don't forget earplugs.

??? ???    Can't see you sharing a room. 

I have taken two last minute trips to Bandon exactly like this where I knew no one in either group. They were two of the best weekends of my life. It could be the weather, the general exhaustion or just dumb luck but the snoring is epic. I also was not innocent. So yes, earplugs are right up there with rain pants.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »

I recall Mr McBride taking his backswing on BD 16th just as a massive gust if wind hit him head on.  He almost whiffed from the force of it.   10 minutes later we were pelted with hail.

Still one of my favorite golf trips!!!!!!!

;D ;D

Scott Weersing

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »
You should take this opportunity and go. We had Doug Wright join us at the end of February of 2014 for this trip.

We had great weather with 65 degrees the first day.

I am planning on a return trip in 2016.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
Bump to keep this near the top. I want to try to get an official yes/no from Blake. I've had three additional GCAers PM me about the spot. Almost enough for a third group!

Keith Grande

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Vaseline?!?!!? :o I'm out!

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:03 AM »
Well your dirty imagination can take you wherever you want it to go...or maybe we can get you a special suite. Personally I find that putting some between my toes helps stave off blisters.

Michael Essig

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »

I have been to Bandon once, in March 2011 for the KPI. How was the weather? We had beautiful weather, and we had terrible weather. The sun shone. The wind blew. The rain fell. The wind relented. The hail pelted. The sun returned. The rain came again.

Then we got to the 2nd tee.

That went on pretty much the whole time for three days, except for the round at Trails. That round was pretty calm; not sure if it's because it isn't right on the water or if it was just coincidence.

There was no break in play though. It actually enhanced the experience. I'm sure the weather could have been worse, but there was only a brief hail delay for about 10 minutes.

How March weather compares to any other month's weather I really can't say.

My advice would be to pack the following:
- One pair of rain pants. Plan to wear that the whole time on the course
- One pair of jeans for when you're not playing
- Several layers of shirts/wind shirts
- 50 pairs of socks
- Vaseline and band-aids
I played two consecutive years the week after Easter in late March/April.  The above description of the weather is accurate.  To combat the Seattle golfing weather, I have "light" rain gear and a "heavy" rain suit, and pay attention to the weather forecast.  I use each during the week at that time of year in Bandon, and unless the forecast is for steady rain, I am wearing the "light" rain gear.  However, if you are not prepared for steady rain and 25-35 mph winds, then you don't have the right gear.  So, unless you are ready to not play or play soaking wet, come prepared.  A good rain suit may be $500-$600, but it will last 20 years.  At this time of year, you can get almost everything at 50% off.

William_G

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Rain gloves
hand warmers
Ziploc bags
extra towels

it's all good
It's all about the golf!

Michael Essig

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
Rain gloves
extra towels
Yes and yes.  The rain gloves these days are so good, you can maintain a grip with your hand soaking wet.  I don't towel off my grips any more, just squeeze out as much water as I can before gripping, and swing with 100% confidence that I will hang on.  Also with that confidence, you don't have to strangle the club for fear it will slip.  I use Etonic G-Sok Rain Gloves.  Recommended by a golf shop in Bandon and purchased on the first March/April trip three years ago.  Highly recommend them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back