News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

The feature of abandoned train routes on courses
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
We know it was common in early American golf to have a train line "near" a golf course, with some lines actually running through them.  I was wondering in today's time, if folks know of abandoned train routes that are part of the golf course and actually represent a significant feature of the topography of the course?

At Philly Cricket, with the restoration completed, I think the abandoned line on the course represents one of the signature features of the property, intended or otherwise.  If you can share a photo of your thoughts, better yet.

I have attached some photos I recently took from my iphone as well as photos from Evan Schiller who was hired by the club.  In one example, you can see #3 is directly in from of you, but beyond it, down the right hand side is the abandoned line that provides really a unique feature to the course and also serves as a quasi boundary between the front six, and the rest.

From the right of #5

From the tee at #6

From behind #6

From #17 green

Ronald Montesano

Re: The feature of abandoned train routes on courses
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
#1--How about abandoned Formula One Race Tracks on courses? #TheBridge

EDIT: Should read  SCCA, CanAm and Nascar...Thanks to Pete Pittock for clarifying.

#2--Diamond Hawk golf course, in Cheektowaga, NY (across from Buffalo/Niagara International Airport) had a rail line run through it. It's most noticeable behind the 2nd green. The second green is located at the top of the photo, kinda near where the red line begins. You can see the trellis elevation behind the putting surface. The entire set of tee decks save one for the third hole is located on the same rise. It is eliminated in the fifth fairway, but returns to serve as a buffer between five and seven.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:29:40 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
John,

Less so a significant feature of the topography than a unique obstacle/hazard, but an abandoned rail line bisects Kildonan Park Golf Course, leading to this tee shot at the short par 3 tenth.

From the green, looking back.

We completed a long range master plan for the municipal course a few years ago, and while re-building this tee during the past season, I witnessed many golfers taking the "under" route.  It may not be beautiful, but it is unique.

TK

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »
Tyler,

This is the greatest thing ever. This is beyond awesome. How hysterical are the ricochets?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »
Ron,

The staff had to move the tees up when the tee was being re-built, and some players should have decided to play under. However, they didn't adjust and I saw a handful of shots hit the bridge square on, bouncing backward into the construction zone leaving a longer second shot than the original tee shot!!  I also witnessed players playing second shots from on top of the bridge, which is turfed.

TK

John Burnes

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Tyler-ha that is awesome.

Ron-Do you have ground level shots of the course you speak of?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:57:13 PM »
I believe so, John. I'm in the midst of the Teugega thread, so it may take a bit to dig them out.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
Ron,

The staff had to move the tees up when the tee was being re-built, and some players should have decided to play under. However, they didn't adjust and I saw a handful of shots hit the bridge square on, bouncing backward into the construction zone leaving a longer second shot than the original tee shot!!  I also witnessed players playing second shots from on top of the bridge, which is turfed.

TK

What were/are the distances from the tees to the front of the green?  Before, during, and after the construction?  Under seems like a no-brainer to me.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »

And I thought I had seen everything  :)

That one makes The Pit at North Berwick seem kind of ordinary.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
I haven't been there, but this must be in the ballpark of the Reverse Jans in Chicago!

John Burnes

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
Here's a link

Rees Milikin

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:48:20 PM »
John,

Less so a significant feature of the topography than a unique obstacle/hazard, but an abandoned rail line bisects Kildonan Park Golf Course, leading to this tee shot at the short par 3 tenth.

From the green, looking back.

We completed a long range master plan for the municipal course a few years ago, and while re-building this tee during the past season, I witnessed many golfers taking the "under" route.  It may not be beautiful, but it is unique.

TK

I love this, thanks for sharing.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
Ron,

TK

What were/are the distances from the tees to the front of the green?  Before, during, and after the construction?  Under seems like a no-brainer to me.

Carl,

The hole plays 137 yards on the card (125 to front), and is similar in length post-construction.  The tees needed to be rebuilt, with the forward tee (seen in picture) at grade, requiring some elevation to alleviate persistently damp conditions. 

TK

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »

And I thought I had seen everything  :)

That one makes The Pit at North Berwick seem kind of ordinary.

Tom,

Glad to have shown you a new design feature, that made my day.

TK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »
I (try to) play many holes like that in my dreams/nightmares.

+1

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
There is an abandoned railway line running through Woodhall Spa, but I dont recall it having a significant impact on the course?

A far better example is Alistair MacKenzie's Cavendish:
A railway line was proposed from Buxton to Manchester and / or Macclesfield and a cutting to the west of the town was formed with the spoil becoming the embankment further down. But the route was abandoned before it got any further than that. However MacKenzie made great use of the embankment as a position for the 6th and 15th tees, as well as positioning the 5th and 14th greens on or against it. Here is a link to a photo tour...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49726.0.html

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:11 AM »
There is an abandoned railway line running through Woodhall Spa, but I dont recall it having a significant impact on the course?

A far better example is Alistair MacKenzie's Cavendish:
A railway line was proposed from Buxton to Manchester and / or Macclesfield and a cutting to the west of the town was formed with the spoil becoming the embankment further down. But the route was abandoned before it got any further than that. However MacKenzie made great use of the embankment as a position for the 6th and 15th tees, as well as positioning the 5th and 14th greens on or against it. Here is a link to a photo tour...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49726.0.html

Cheers,

James

I was going to mention Cavendish. What's best of all about MacKenzie's use of the railway embankment there is that he was able to pull a lot of material forward out of the embankment to give him the fill to build the 14th green.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:15:53 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
I was going to mention Cavendish. What's best of all about MacKenzie's use of the railway embankment there is that he was able to pull a lot of material forward out of the embankment to give him the material to build the 14th green.

And Colt did that rather well at Saint Germain.  I remember gates, but seems like the rail line was grown over.

Tyler,
Not sure if I'll ever be in Winnipeg, but if I am I know of a course I need to see.  Thanks.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
There's an abandoned line between the 1st-2nd, behind the 16th and all along the right hand side of the 17th at Ashburnham.
atb

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
Omaha CC has one, although its not particularly integrated into the course.

The Quarry at Giant's Ridge has a few, which I tried to keep, such as leaving the rails in the 1st fw at turf height.  The powers that be overruled me.  The cart path on 17 and grass bunkers behind 18 are both part of the same spur siding.  There pond on 10 had a trestle over it and was apparently a clean out pond for rail cars at one point.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »
There's an old railroad line through Lundin Links that creates a dangerous OB line left of several holes.  I don't know for sure yet but imagine it runs through Leven as well. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
There are dozens of courses in the UK with disused railway lines running through them. Two of the first three courses I was at namely Howley Hall and Cleckheaton both had this feature. Another course close to Leeds that uses this feature well is Wetherby Golf Club. I recall a couple of nice tee shots played from the top of the railway embankment which was about 25ft high.

Jon

John Burnes

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
Great responses guys.  I was wondering if anyone had actual images to share of the examples given?  If you're not sure how to post them, just message me and I can post on your behalf. 

Thanks again for the dialogue.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »
The Railside 9 at Great Gorge in NJ has these old railway supports, which I did once find myself between:

South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
EDIT - HA - Mark's post went live while I was composing mine - glad I'm not the only one who ended up in that mess.

Mark - What are the odds, huh?

Here's a weird one for you.  This is the third hole on the "Railside" nine at Great Gorge Country Club at Crystal Springs Resort.  This place is really, really wacky - it was built in 1970 as the golf course for Hugh Hefner's Great Gorge Playboy Club, and the clubhouse hasn't been redecorated since.  That, along with the giant abandoned hotel on the property make for a very strange and unique setting.  

Here's the third hole, a par three, with an abandoned railroad trestle - as you can see from my ball in the second and third photos, it is very much in play.

(I did manage to get up and down from there).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:48:16 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back