News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Dominican Republic Golf
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Family is considering a Spring trip to the DR.  Advice on golf, lodgings, travel, sights and dining greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your time and input,

Bart

Greg Gilson

Re: Dominican Republic Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
Bart, I can only comment on Casa de Campo. The golf is very good (Links and especially Dye Fore) to great (TOTD). The non-golf activities are great. The accommodation choices are varied & reasonably priced & flights are excellent from many US ports. I am sure there are other choices in DR but I cannot speak highly enough of Casa de Campo.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Bart:

Punta Espada at Cap Cana is very much worth playing.  In my opinion it is one of Nicklaus' best.
http://www.puntaespadagolf.com/index.php

Corales is the second best course in the Punta Cana area.  Aside from offering six oceanside holes, excellent conditioning, and warm hospitality, the course is best described as solid.  In my opinion it is well below Punta Espada and Teeth of the Dog.
http://www.puntacana.com/corales-golf-club.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:33:07 PM by Matthew Schulte »

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Bart:

Punta Espada at Cap Cana is very much worth playing.  In my opinion it is one of Nicklaus' best.
http://www.puntaespadagolf.com/index.php

Corales is the second best course in the Punta Cana area.  Aside from offering six oceanside holes, excellent conditioning, and warm hospitality, the course is best described as solid.  In my opinion it is well below Punta Espada and Teeth of the Dog.
http://www.puntacana.com/corales-golf-club.html

I played both of these a couple of years ago and would agree with Matthew's assessment.  My wife and I stayed at Tortuga Bay in the Punta Cana development and had a wonderful time.  I believe that resort does have some 2 bedroom units that would work well for families.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 11:27:57 PM »
I highly recommend Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  The resort was absolultely perfect.  The service was impeccable as was the grounds and food.  Across the street was Cocotal Country Cub.  A very sporty and fun course, pretty wide open, and in immaculate shape.  We played it five times and I would have no problem going back and playing it five times again.  When we stayed, golf was included with our room, for the cost of an inflated cart fee.

The concierge desk at the hotel provided golf excursions to all the courses in the area, and in the middle of the summer , there were some pretty good deals. 

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
I highly recommend Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  The resort was absolultely perfect.  The service was impeccable as was the grounds and food.  Across the street was Cocotal Country Cub.  A very sporty and fun course, pretty wide open, and in immaculate shape.  We played it five times and I would have no problem going back and playing it five times again.  When we stayed, golf was included with our room, for the cost of an inflated cart fee.

The concierge desk at the hotel provided golf excursions to all the courses in the area, and in the middle of the summer , there were some pretty good deals.  

+1

My family just returned from a trip and stayed at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  A quieter, boutique all-inclusive hotel (there are two hotels on the Paradisus Palma Real properity) that has cart service to the Beach resort mentioned above.  It is quieter than the beach resort.

Staying there puts you less than 30 minutes from both Punta Espada and Corales and 60+ minutes from TOTD, Dye Fore and the Links at Casa de Campo.

PM me if you have any further questions, Bart
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:52:52 PM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
I highly recommend Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  The resort was absolultely perfect.  The service was impeccable as was the grounds and food.  Across the street was Cocotal Country Cub.  A very sporty and fun course, pretty wide open, and in immaculate shape.  We played it five times and I would have no problem going back and playing it five times again.  When we stayed, golf was included with our room, for the cost of an inflated cart fee.

+1

My family just returned from a trip and stayed at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  A quieter, boutique all-inclusive hotel (there are two hotels on the Paradisus Palma Real properity) that has cart service to the Beach resort mentioned above.  It is quieter than the beach resort.

Staying there puts you less than 30 minutes from both Punta Espada and Corales and 60+ minutes from TOTD, Dye Fore and the Links at Casa de Campo.

PM me if you have any further questions, Bart

I haven't been to the Paradisus, but in January I stayed in Cap Cana (where Punta Espada is) and also spent time at the Punta Cana Resort (where friends were staying).  I agree with the other recommendations to stay in Punta Cana--whether at Paradisus, the Punta Cana Resort (i.e., Tortuga Bay or the Westin), or somewhere similar.  Cap Cana is a bit slow and only partially developed (parts feel like a ghost town), while Casa de Campo may feel fairly isolated (it's been a while); Punta Cana has more going on. 

Within Punta Cana, one advantage to the Punta Cana Resort is that Corales is on the property, and you'd also be quite a bit closer to Punta Espada than at the other resorts--both Punta Cana and Cap Cana are on the south side of the airport, while the other resorts are all to the north.  It's also a little closer to Casa de Campo.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
We drove ourselves when I visited a couple of years ago.  It worked out fine but was defnitely an adventure.    We encountered:

- heavy traffic
- poorly marked roads
- scooters zooming around in every direction
- many of the drivers of the scooters were armed
- I slowed down at the first stoplight I saw and about got crushed.  All the other vehicles accelerated through a red light.  The rule as it was explained to me later is that the biggest vehicle has the right of way.

I believe a highway has been put in place along the route we drove (from an airport along the east (Punta Cana) to a resort close to Casa de Campo so the driving is likely much easier now.

If you do drive - get insurance, make sure you have a working GPS system with you, plan to be patient and prepare for an adventure.  If those concepts stress you out, you should hire someone else to drive.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:41:15 PM by Jason Topp »

David Ober

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
I highly recommend Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana.  The resort was absolultely perfect.  The service was impeccable as was the grounds and food.  Across the street was Cocotal Country Cub.  A very sporty and fun course, pretty wide open, and in immaculate shape.  We played it five times and I would have no problem going back and playing it five times again.  When we stayed, golf was included with our room, for the cost of an inflated cart fee.

Wow, can't believe you recommend Cocotal. I just got back from Punta Cana yesterday. Stayed at Paradisus Palma Real, as you did. The resort was nice, very pretty, actually. Spacious also, with plenty of room to either be secluded or together with people per one's preference.

The food, though, was very mediocre. It's "all inclusive," so you get what you pay for. The meals ranged from the absolutely horrible (anything room service), to the mediocre (every restaurant we went to except Passion), to the good (Martin Berasategui's "Passion," which you have to pay an up-charge for).

The golf was a joke. Cocotal was boring, flat, and lacked challenge except from length. It "features": Wide fairways; super-slow, enormous, soft greens with little (for the most part) undulation; little to no elevation change; Bermuda fairways cut high so that the ball sits up on a tee just about every shot), poor, mis-kept bunkering, and is surrounded by homes and includes children riding tricycles and teens riding bikes on the course.

To me, Dooks is "sporty." Maybe Elie from the look of it. But to call a soggy, flat, very long (well over 7,000 yards from the back tees), mostly wide-open course "sporty," just does not at all ring true with me.

But, hey, to each his own.... ;-)

Brad Hill

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
I stayed at Paradisus in Punta Cana as well. The resort was fantastic, the food was not. The best meal I had was some grilled jerked chicken made by some locals on the beach outside the resort.

I could not get myself to play Cocotal just from the look of it driving past. We took the complimentary bus ride, arranged by the front desk, to Puntacana Resort & Club. It's a pretty fun PB Dye course with 27 holes with several ocean front holes with Arracife and Tortuga as the best 18 set. I didn't get to TOTD as originally planned because my playing partner had too much Mama Jauna at the swim-up bar the day before. I do regret not going without him.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:11:24 AM »
It is interesting that perceptions can be so different.  I played the Cocotal course every morning of my stay in the DR, and my wife and I had no complaints to speak of.  

Cocotal is a resort course geared for the average golfer.    Anyone can play that course and have a good time without losing a lot of balls or being totally frustrated with tight driving areas,  rough, forced carries, etc.  It does not pretend to be an architectural  masterpiece.  It is wide open and a lot of fun.   There is some real length to it, there is enough sand and water to keep it interesting and visually appealing, and some incredible views and wildlife.   I found the fairways and greens to be very playable and lush.    No it is not a Raynor or Ross, no it will never hold a high profile tourney, no it will never be widely discussed or studied by students of golf architecture, and no it is not a test for the best.  But I can tell you it is a fun resort course, not without its issues, but for the average player a whole lot of golf for a whole lot less $$$ then  the high profile courses with big name archtiects.  

Now I spent a week at Paradisus and never had a problem or complaint with the food or service.  This is an expensive five star resort and there was not a time that I did not feel that I got any less than my monies worth.  There  are plenty of dining options there, and if you can't find anything  to your liking, I would say you are a very fussy traveler.  I would heartily recommend a stay at Paradisus.  The golf across the street at Cocotal, no it is not Casa de Campo or some of the other "biggies" in the area, it does not pretend to be.  It is just  a fun, very flat "Florida-like" course that most golfers should enjoy.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:36:32 AM by Eric Strulowitz »

David Ober

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
It is interesting that perceptions can be so different.  I played the Cocotal course every morning of my stay in the DR, and my wife and I had no complaints to speak of.  

Cocotal is a resort course geared for the average golfer.    Anyone can play that course and have a good time without losing a lot of balls or being totally frustrated with tight driving areas,  rough, forced carries, etc.  It does not pretend to be an architectural  masterpiece.  It is wide open and a lot of fun.   There is some real length to it, there is enough sand and water to keep it interesting and visually appealing, and some incredible views and wildlife.   I found the fairways and greens to be very playable and lush.    No it is not a Raynor or Ross, no it will never hold a high profile tourney, no it will never be widely discussed or studied by students of golf architecture, and no it is not a test for the best.  But I can tell you it is a fun resort course, not without its issues, but for the average player a whole lot of golf for a whole lot less $$$ then  the high profile courses with big name archtiects.  

Now I spent a week at Paradisus and never had a problem or complaint with the food or service.  This is an expensive five star resort and there was not a time that I did not feel that I got any less than my monies worth.  There  are plenty of dining options there, and if you can't find anything  to your liking, I would say you are a very fussy traveler.  I would heartily recommend a stay at Paradisus.  The golf across the street at Cocotal, no it is not Casa de Campo or some of the other "biggies" in the area, it does not pretend to be.  It is just  a fun, very flat "Florida-like" course that most golfers should enjoy.  

Well said, Eric. Explained that way, I agree with you about the golf -- but definitely not about the food!! I'm far from a "fussy" traveler, but I am, definitely, a "foodie." The food at the resort was middle of the line Vegas buffet food for the most part with a couple exceptions. We ate at seven of the twelve(?) restaurants there, so perhaps we missed the best of them, though Martin Berasategui's "Passion" is definitely supposed to be the crown jewel of the resort. And even it was nowhere close to great. Food is a very individual thing, though, of course....

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
    I'm a little biased, as I live at Casa de Campo from January through March.  I've said before - the best winter golf in the world.  Best combination of weather, golf, facility and people.  If you come, do not hesitate to find me. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Looking for a spot that is most convenient to get to Punta Espada and Casa de Campo and a decent place for a honeymoon  :-\ Tortuga is sold out and a bit more than I wish to part with anyway... suggestions????

Should I rent a car to get down to CDC?

Should I go through with the wedding?  ;)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
Greg--
The Sanctuary at Cap Cana is really nice, close to Punta Espada, and as close to TOTD/CDC as most of Punta Cana.  The only downside is that Cap Cana isn't fully developed and has some parts that feel a little ghost-towny.  The Sanctuary isn't one of them, but it's still a bit out on its own.  There is a very cool public beach/restaurant right near it, however.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
We went to the DR on a family trip in 2008.
rented a house on the beach near Las Terrenas on north shore on the Semana Peninsula. STUNNING. In 8 days we did not hear one word of English. Just Spanish, French and German. Playa Bonita is amazing.

No golf up there and that was fine with me. We chartered a plane from the smaller airport and flew into a landing strip with a guy and a walkie-talkie. Was supposed to be a course called Las Terrenas Country Club but $$ crisis killed it.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
Greg--
The Sanctuary at Cap Cana is really nice, close to Punta Espada, and as close to TOTD/CDC as most of Punta Cana.  The only downside is that Cap Cana isn't fully developed and has some parts that feel a little ghost-towny.  The Sanctuary isn't one of them, but it's still a bit out on its own.  There is a very cool public beach/restaurant right near it, however.

Also sold out. I can see from the websites that the Westin isn't what we are after. Thus far the previously mentioned The Reserve At Paradisus looks OK.

Assuming car rental is the only logical way to and from CDC. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
The Eden Roc is also in Cap Cana and very very high-end and "intimate."   

Greg Gilson

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
Greg, why not just stay at CDC? I have already admitted to my lack of objectivity about that venue ....so full disclosure there (FWIW I gush about CDS when given the chance as well).

Now, the real question is whether to go through with the wedding.....

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
Looking for a spot that is most convenient to get to Punta Espada and Casa de Campo and a decent place for a honeymoon  :-\ Tortuga is sold out and a bit more than I wish to part with anyway... suggestions????

Should I rent a car to get down to CDC?

Should I go through with the wedding?  ;)

Congratulations Greg!

We stayed at this place and I remember enjoying it.  It is a short drive to Casa de Campo, on a beautiful beach and in the middle of nowhere.  Punta Cana will be a bit of a drive.  We rented a car and while it was a bit of an adventure driving, I suspect it would not rattle you.

http://www.dreamsresorts.com/la-romana

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back