News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: Links Magazine - scariest shots in golf
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
The most scared I have been of a shot was when I realized in a practice round for a qualifier that on one hole  I was not going to be able to carry a bunch of weeds and water to reach the fairway if the wind was out of the North.  Of course on the day of the qualifier the temperature was cold and the wind was out of the North.  I spent 13 holes wondering how embarrassing it would be to chip to the forward tee.  When I got to the hole I was very relieved to see the tee markers were moved a box forward.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Not on the list, but hard to feel comfortable with this one, as demonstrated by a GCAer.

11th or 12th there Kevin?  I'm guessing the 12th.

Yes, 12 from the way-back tee.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
Have to say the pictures accompanying the article were the worst ever - more than half didn't show the "scary" shot in question.

My friend (24 HC, short knocker) would say the opening tee shots on T-Road and Black Mesa - he hated both vehemently.

Sawgrass 17 easily for me. 18 is no picnic either.

#1 at The Old Course...for different reasons than this article is mentioning.

Agree with 17 at Kiawah.

For me it might be the drive on #13 at Augusta....if I ever got the chance....once in a lifetime...can get there in two if I nut it...just have to turn it over a touch... but not too much...love it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
A few scary shots that come to mind...

Pasatiempo, #7 tee shot

Streamsong Blue, #4 approach

Whistling Straits, #17

Kingsley, #2

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Felton

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »
Two shots that spring to mind for me.

2nd shot on #13 at Pine Valley. Death short, left or long and nothing but bail out to the right. I cannot hit it at the green there (in the 3 goes I've had).

Tee shot on the 9th at Brancepeth Castle in England. Played there a lot while at university and never got comfortable with that shot. 200+ yard par 3 with no bail out anywhere. Tree blocking the left side and a serious side hill green. Let me see if I can find a picture

Joey Chase

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 02:58:04 AM »
The scariest shot for me has to be the 16th at Port Royal.  From the tips, it plays around 230 yards.  That is basically all carry with the prevailing wind coming off of the sea.  If you have spent time in Bermuda, then you know the wind always blows there.

JC Jones

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
The drive on the 18th at TPC.

This is the correct answer.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
My 2 are:
1. Opening tee shot at Ballyhack
2. Opening tee shot at Tobacco Road
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Josh Tarble

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »

Kingsley, #2

This is one seriously scary 9 iron.  The target is so small and it's pretty easy to make a giant number.  At least TPC #17 is quick and painless if you miss...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Two thoughts-

Seems like there has to be a do or die carry to count.  Am wondering if things like Hell's Half Acre were formerly among the scariest shots, now sort of mundane.

Second, agree on 2 at Kingsley, but only the second play when you know how narrow that green is at front.  I was no more than 12 feet from the pin, but bunkered left, followed by the back and forth outs, and finally my 4th shot to the fattest part of the green followed by a few putts.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »

One more...the tee shot on #18 at Crooked Stick when you've been fighting an uncontrollable fade all day.

The 18th at Crooked Stick is a very underrated finishing hole.  The fade is big trouble where you will end up in the water but missing left is almost just as bad with a large drop down from the fairway and very deep rough.  There is a slim chance to get to the green in that position.

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
The scariest shot for me has to be the 16th at Port Royal.  From the tips, it plays around 230 yards.  That is basically all carry with the prevailing wind coming off of the sea.  If you have spent time in Bermuda, then you know the wind always blows there.

+1

honorable mention tee shot #11 Shinnecock-the SECOND time you play the hole
150 yards,can't lose a ball
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
my vote goes to Wolf Run #16

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »

wolf run #16 --- should work this time

Chris DeToro

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
When I first saw that green at Wolf Run, I couldn't believe that it was actually a green on the course.  Thankfully it's a short hole. 

16, 17 and 18 at Sawgrass might be the scariest three hole stretch.  Along with much of PGA West. 

#2 at Kingsley is a great nominee though once you realize how much room there is in the back of the green, it becomes less so. 

Brad Hill

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »
#9 at Erin Hills.
#7 at Lawsonia Links

MClutterbuck

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
The approach shot to a front pin position at #1 ANGC. And the approach after that one, from the other side.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
Two old jokes come to mind....for the struggling golfer, the answer is obviously "the next one."  And the story about the hack who whiffs his tee shot on no. 1 at (name any tough course) and says, "What they say is true....this IS a tough course!"

FWIW I have heard some tour pro guys mention 16 at Wolf Run as the scariest shot they have seen.  It's not just the water, its that the target size is smaller than their statistical average spray pattern.  At least 17 TPC is a large green with sub-sections.  I wonder between green size and shade of surrounding trees, if that green is a maintenance problem?  It's one of those deals where you could double the green size to the right, and the Sunday pin left would still be just as hard (and scary) but the hole and maintenance easier.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:57:49 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JLahrman

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
Not on the list, but hard to feel comfortable with this one, as demonstrated by a GCAer.

Gettin' a lot of mileage out of this one!

I stepped back here just to try the shot. The tees we were playing were up by where my father-in-law was standing on the left.

Two notes about this:
- While I'm not a fan of the hallway look, the only players who should be playing from this set of tees should be good enough ball-strikers to make it through the chute.
- Those of you who have played with me know that hitting a tree is not a scary thought for me. It's actually right in my comfort zone.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
What a scary pic!  ;)

Chris DeToro

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
Two old jokes come to mind....for the struggling golfer, the answer is obviously "the next one."  And the story about the hack who whiffs his tee shot on no. 1 at (name any tough course) and says, "What they say is true....this IS a tough course!"

FWIW I have heard some tour pro guys mention 16 at Wolf Run as the scariest shot they have seen.  It's not just the water, its that the target size is smaller than their statistical average spray pattern.  At least 17 TPC is a large green with sub-sections.  I wonder between green size and shade of surrounding trees, if that green is a maintenance problem?  It's one of those deals where you could double the green size to the right, and the Sunday pin left would still be just as hard (and scary) but the hole and maintenance easier.

Does anyone know just how big (or small) that green is at Wolf Run?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »
Some that come to mind:

2nd shot to 5th at Bethpage
2nd shot to 10th at Shinnecock Hills
tee shot for 5th at Pine Valley
second shot to 13th at Prestwick
second shot to 12th at Yale

tee shot on 14th (?) at Island club (skinny short four coming back)
second shot on 15th at Garden City (fade lie, draw approach? what do you do?)
tee shot on 3rd at Prairie Dunes (in any high wind)
approach shot to par five 3rd at Indian Creek in Florida
tee shot on 5th at Lost Farms
-

Rich Goodale

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
What is really scary is the incompetence of the photos they chose to "complement" the vaccuous text.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back