News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ru Macdonald

Crowdfunding for Fraserburgh Golf Club
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
It was only a year ago since our very own Ran Morrisset paid Fraserburgh Golf Links a visit and experienced raw and authentic Scottish golf at its best.

That visit reviewed here:  http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/scotland/fraserburgh-golf-club/

Visiting the course this week, I met with Lindsay the Office Manager. Working in golf tourism I naturally asked how the tourism season had been. Knowing much of these golf clubs survive from the income generated through visitor green fees the news was grim. It appeared that the Ryder Cup fever never made it to Scotland's north-east. The club was down from the 800 visitor rounds in 2013 (Yes only 800) which looks about £10,000 on the balance sheet and huge for a club like Fraserburgh. Continuing she explained things were bad. In June they were very concerned. (cash flow)

As I left her office I thought what about all the fabulous PR, word of mouth the best marketing tool in golf travel? When will this 'hidden gem' be discovered?

Playing under blue skies on a cold autumn morning I again saw the natural beauty of Fraserburgh and my mind wondered a bit..

Has the Golf Club Atlas community ever crowdfunded the acquisition of a golf course before? Would the community reveal in the opportunity to bring Fraserburgh back to life, offer financial stability to its members and in doing so help preserve something special in Scotland's golf heritage? The multitude of talents within this community would help create a pretty formidable proposition for travelling golfers. Accountants, course superintends, website developers, course architects, shapers, golf managers, marketers, media. We might even get the chance to utilize the dunes and transform the weaker holes of 1 & 18. None of this for financial gain but for the greater good of golf. Two fingers perhaps to modern day golf 35 miles down the road at Trump Aberdeen.

Three putting the last I woke up from the fantasy of what could be achieved here on Scotland's far north-east and back to reality. This accent links classic is surviving just, at the same time modern mediocrity thrives backed by their multimillion pound marketing budgets.

Overseas golf memberships at Fraserburgh are available for £140. If like me, you love this place and all that it stands for  become a member in 2015.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:15:18 AM by Ru Macdonald »
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Ken Moum

Re: Crowdfunding for Fraserburgh Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
It's a sad story.  I do think Fraserburgh deserves better.

I tried to talk my wife into joining, and making a Fraserburgh a base for regular trips to Scotland. 

But this is evidence of what I think is an even sadder story, that SO MANY Scottish courses think that charging visitors (mostly from the US) extraordinary rates for a round of golf is the solution to the problems.

Last year at both Fraerburgh and Brora I heard a high level of jealousy for their more "famous" neighbors to the south about their ability to attract Americans and extract green fees of 100 pounds or more from them. This while charging members 500-900 pounds for a whole year.

I don't have an answer, but find it sad that both of those courses are so focused on their lucky neighbors.  It's true, as one Brora member noted, that being on the American's check list is the key, but having played all four of them I'm pretty sure that if I was a member I'd prefer to NOT be on the checklist.

All you need to see to understand why I say that is the congestion at Dornoch on a nice summer afternoon.

I told the Brora member, "Be careful what you wish for."
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
UK private member clubs aspiring to receive more money worry me. If it's to be spent on improving the course that's okay, as long as it's not on fairway irrigation!!! However, committee's have a hibit of spending extra cash on pet projects such as clubhouse fixtures and fittings, expensive tailored jackets for captains and the like, which ain't how it should be IMO.

And Ken makes a very good point about course congestion and being careful what you wish for. Sometimes quiet and low key is, if not best, then certainly perfectly exceptable for private members, as distinct from resort or pay-n-play, courses.

Atb
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:34:31 PM by Thomas Dai »

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
"But this is evidence of what I think is an even sadder story, that SO MANY Scottish courses think that charging visitors (mostly from the US) extraordinary rates for a round of golf is the solution to the problems."

Ken

For a second there I'd forgotten that the world revolves around America. Thanks for reminding me  ::)

Niall

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
I think the point of visitors is being missed here. 95% of courses here in Scotland are public and open to visitors. Fraserburgh has always been and still only gets 800 visitor rounds a year!

As a member of Cruden Bay majority of members are proud when international visitors visit. Pace of play is a concern only when courses are inundated by visitors.. (Dornoch/North Berwick)
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
The club is doing fine. Doesn't need saving by Americans. It's been around as long as they have.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
A lot of us have the same problems.  Affordable golf is a wobbly dream.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »
It's a sad story.  I do think Fraserburgh deserves better.

I tried to talk my wife into joining, and making a Fraserburgh a base for regular trips to Scotland. 

But this is evidence of what I think is an even sadder story, that SO MANY Scottish courses think that charging visitors (mostly from the US) extraordinary rates for a round of golf is the solution to the problems.

Last year at both Fraerburgh and Brora I heard a high level of jealousy for their more "famous" neighbors to the south about their ability to attract Americans and extract green fees of 100 pounds or more from them. This while charging members 500-900 pounds for a whole year.

I don't have an answer, but find it sad that both of those courses are so focused on their lucky neighbors.  It's true, as one Brora member noted, that being on the American's check list is the key, but having played all four of them I'm pretty sure that if I was a member I'd prefer to NOT be on the checklist.

All you need to see to understand why I say that is the congestion at Dornoch on a nice summer afternoon.

I told the Brora member, "Be careful what you wish for."

Great post
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
The club is doing fine. Doesn't need saving by Americans. It's been around as long as they have.

Whew.  That saved me a nickel.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

Not the feeling I got. This isn't about being imperious.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
"The club is doing fine. Doesn't need saving by Americans. It's been around as long as they have."

Ryan C. -

Do you know that for a fact? The 2nd tier golf clubs in the Highlands that I am familiar with struggle each year to break even and stay solvent.

200 or 300 extra rounds of visitor play (wherever the visitors come from ;)) each year or the annual subs from 50 extra Country Members can make a crucial difference to the future of these clubs.

DT   

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
Two clubs in Englands South West, Taunton Vale and Lostwithiel (I think) look set to close in the next few days. It is certainly getting hard for some as they near the open plughole of death spiral. Also South-west Canons Court has just applied for PP to change it's use to residential properties for the clubhouse and pro shop, the driving range to become stables and the land would be used for agriculture.

I have seen a few sets of accounts recently with £100,000 annual turnovers. It probably would help the majority of clubs if 10% did close, yes sad but the reality is you need a good location far more than a great course. If you dont have that then you need to slash your overheads as close as you can to zero.

Dont give away the goods to cheap. Easy to say but it is difficult when clubs around you are selling twenty pound notes for a tenner. Those charlies take the others down, it is a shame that some can't see the self harm making it cheaper to golf as a non member.

Painswick would get funded by this site I think if it needed it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:10:09 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
Ru,

I suspect that as Fraserburgh has survived so far it will manage to muddle through in the future. Indeed, as has been touched up on already one of the reasons it has remained an unspoilt example of traditional golf is because it is only managing to cover its costs.

I was surprised at how few greenfees they have had and can only assume that member's guests are not in this figure. I manage to generate 4 times that last year but can confirm that this year has been fewer due mainly to less British tourists and the RC did nothing for us up in the Highlands. Having said that I would have thought Fraserburgh should be able to increase their GF's if open to weekend play and early evening.

I would also add that any of the lesser clubs including mine are always delighted to see US visitors playing our courses. This is not because of higher greenfees as most of us have very modest prices. It is because it is nice for American visitors to sample a genuine Scottish golf experience known and loved by so many Scots.

Does Fraserburgh need saving by others? No it does not!!! The members will look after it just fine but I am sure they would welcome visitors or even a few more to the club membership.

Jon

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
Thanks for this Jon. Good points made.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »
The location aspect as mentioned by Adrian, and it's relationship to other courses nearby is very important. There is a kind of circle around a club or in the case of a seaside club like the Broch, a part-circle, wherein members or perspective members live. The number and quality of other nearby courses which which overlap a clubs circle is important. Too many within the circle or near circle when times are hard and one or more might go to the wall. The ones going to the wall will most likely be the ones that are the least desirable to play or the most expensive to run or the most distance/hassle to regularly travel to.

Links courses are arguably generally more desirable to play and are certainly less expensive to run. If a club can survive WWI, the depression of the 1930's, WWII etc the odds on long term survival when there are not many other competitor clubs of the same or better golfing standard within their circle of membership would seem pretty good. How many Broch members would rather play at Inverallochy or Rosehearty, or bi-pass Peterhead and travel down to CB for their regular game?

Atb

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
Thomas - You are spot on with your circle. It is very important what else is pecking at the golfers in YOUR circle. The problem with links courses is that fish don't play golf so links golf courses are instantly disadvantaged.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »
Yes. membership is OK with many playing the lesser course across the road. The mere suggestion of driving more visitor play here has to some is  wrong but we're a million miles away from a crowded golf course with 5 hour rounds.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 07:00:48 PM »
Ru:

Hopefully my review of Fraserburgh in The Confidential Guide will deliver a few new visitors to your door, too ... but it is not like I'm going to sell a million copies.

It seems to me your best approach would be to try and market the course as part of a larger group, whether you target visitors to Cruden Bay by touting Fraserburgh as a lot better value than Trump International, or go the other direction and encourage people to do a reasonably-priced golf trip that includes Cullen and Buckie Strathlene and Fraserburgh and Peterhead.  [You could call it "actual Scotland".]

You mentioned the second course and I wondered how the economics of the club work in that regard.  It seems like a lot of golf for the members to support, but the irony is that more of them might support the "B" course because it is an easy walk.

Ken Moum

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »
"But this is evidence of what I think is an even sadder story, that SO MANY Scottish courses think that charging visitors (mostly from the US) extraordinary rates for a round of golf is the solution to the problems."

Ken

For a second there I'd forgotten that the world revolves around America. Thanks for reminding me  ::)

Niall

Well, excuuuuse me.

I sure as hell don't think the world revolves around the U.S., but I stand by my statement that at least Brora and Fraserburgh are obsessed with the American "checklist."

I heard it firsthand.

Hell, Brora built a new tee on 11, "because Americans don't want to play a par 69."
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
Tom, firstly congrats on the republishing of the book. Heard lots of good things about it and glad that Fraserburgh & my home course Cruden both feature within.

To your points Yes the destination needs to market itself. I have been monitoring the activity of the DMO who only last year were commissioned by Visit Scotland to promote Aberdeen and the wider area. Thousands are driving between Inverness and Aberdeen but not on the coastal route. Regarding the second course, yes it's perhaps even more popular with the members than Braid's course.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 07:41:34 PM »
Yes. membership is OK with many playing the lesser course across the road. The mere suggestion of driving more visitor play here has to some is  wrong but we're a million miles away from a crowded golf course with 5 hour rounds.

I don't think staff talking it down is particularly helpful.

Who is responsible for the Club's marketing? They don't have a manager/secretary which can sometimes be a false economy.

They are also nowhere on Google when searching for golf in the area.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:46:17 PM by Ryan Coles »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 08:20:23 PM »

::)
Every golf site found has them, often with one of the top ratings.

I will admit you didn't find them on golfnow.com.  :-*
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Coles

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »

::)
Every golf site found has them, often with one of the top ratings.

I will admit you didn't find them on golfnow.com.  :-*

Note the specific reference to google and searching by location.....

Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire. They're not on the first 2 pages.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »
Too bad. We dumb ass sheep seeking Americans are so Google dependent that we can't get to Fraserburgh enough to keep it comfortably afloat.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ryan Coles

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
Don't put yourself down, Terrence. However, personal responsibility and all that. The members have somehow shepherded their way through the first couple of hundred years or so. They'll battle on unimpeded by trivialities such as a lack of SEO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back