News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

The final resting place of the greats..
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:49:38 PM »
I got on an odd kick to determine the final resting place of AW Tillinghast.  A few past articles showed he was buried in Toledo, OH., (he was not, he was cremated).  Which got me wondering, what about some of the other architects (and if possible, close to my home).  Turns out, there are quite a few!  I was wondering if anyone else around the world ever came across the final resting place of architects that are of interest to them?

First up, from Trenton, NJ and now resting in Lower Merion, PA, the great H.I. Wilson.

mike_beene

Re: The final resting place of the greats..
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
Perry Maxwell in a little family cemetery by cliff hole green at Dornick Hills in Ardmore

John Burnes

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
Do you have a photo of Maxwell?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Isn't Alister part of the bunkering at Pasatiempo?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
The cathedral grounds at St Andrews, you'll find the gravestones of Old and Young Tom Morris and also Alan Robertson nearby. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
CB Macdonald, Seth Raynor, and HJ Whigham are all buried in the same Southampton cemetery.  Raynor's grave is across from CBM's.

John McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
John:  Well done. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:34:27 PM »
John, I don't but there might be one in the Maxwell article in the Interview section,

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »
There is a picture of the cemetery in Chris Clouser's article on Dornick Hills in the opinion section

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
John,

Having read that Tillie was buried in Toledo, and having relatives there, many years ago I undertook the same search, on a cold snowy Easter weekend, only to find out after from Ron Whitten that Tillie was not there.  Later, I noticed Tillie's Toledo address from a copy of his letter to Ross in Brad Klein's Ross book.  I recognized it as being only a few blocks from my mom's apartment, and we drove by.  The young African American men scared my Mom, as they seemed to be in gang looking regalia.  I engaged them briefly in conversation.......at first they thought we were rent collectors and were ready to protect their momma.  Even after explaining my interest in their house, they didn't want any part of me entering their mom's house to see the room where a somewhat famous guy supposedly died.

I also traced the route Phil Young wrote (based on Tillie's writings) that Tillie went to see his wife in the nearby hospital.  There is an old hospital nearby, and it didn't make sense, but there are also several abandoned hospitals in Toledo, no bigger than a large house, so we can't be sure where he went.

I have been by Thomas' house at Pasa, Ross house (Dornoch, Pinehurst and MA), Tillie's NJ house, and a few others.  I have seen Maxwell's grave, which has a nice Roman looking colums as entry to it right off the 17th tee.

I like the feeling of experiencing the aura of those guys.  In the end, not sure what we learn, other than most led fairly modest lives and didn't have big edifice offices.  Early on, I always figured creative genius would have to come from some fabulous office space, but it usually doesn't.  And, in the end, no matter how accomplished, you still die.  At least golf architects leave something behind in their work for us to remember them by, which is some consolation.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Trey Kemp

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »
Here is Perry Maxwell...

twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »

Not sure where his remains are, but his name is inscricbed on the MacKenzie family plot near Nedd, Scotland.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »

At least over the course itself, according to...

MacKenzie Timeline Project (attributed to Doak's book):
"January 9, 1934: Pasatiempo Estate, Santa Cruz, California. MacKenzie’s funeral service held in the rear yard of his house near the 6th fairway at Pasatiempo at 11am, “with the Rev. Norman H. Snow of the Episcopal Church officiating. Inurnment will be in the Odd Fellow’s Mausoleum with the ashes to be sent eventually to Dr. MacKenzie’s former home in Scotland.” According to DSH, this intention to transfer his remains to the family’s ancestral home proved too complex and expensive, so it was decided instead to scatter his ashes over the golf course at Pasatiempo"
http://www.alistermackenzie.co.uk/Media/Default/Images/MackenzieTimeline17.pdf

World Golf Hall of Fame...
"MacKenzie died of heart failure on January 6, 1934 in Santa Cruz, Calif. His ashes were spread over the Pasatiempo golf course."
http://www.worldgolfhalloffame.org/alister-mackenzie/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BCrosby

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
John Laing Low is buried in Perthshire next to his first wife. She died in 1902. They were married only a few years.

Intriguing is that at the time of Low's death, January, 1929, he was still married to his second wife.

Bob

Tony_Muldoon

Let's make GCA grate again!

Billsteele

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
Walter Travis is buried in a cemetery not too far away from Ekwanok and the Equinox in Manchester, Vermont. I believe the name of the cemetery is Dellwood.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/hs-colt-of-east-hendred-by-tony-muldoon/

I love you, Tony Muldoon.
I knew you'd post that IMO here. Still gives me chills, six, SIX years later.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Phil Young

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
John,

Both Tilly and his wife Lillian were cremated. He actually has two final resting places. The first is in the Wissahickon River not far from the Cricket Club where His wife, daughter and granddaughter Barbara sprinkled some of his ashes. The rest were interred in the Cedar Hill cemetery as you can see from the registration book which records it. It mentions that his "ashes" were placed there. The second internment record is that for his Wife Lillian whose ashes were also interred with him.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
Walter J. Travis, in Dellwood Cemetery, Manchester, VT.   Just across the road from Ekwanok CC.

John Burnes

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
Good stuff here all.

Tkemp, love the Maxwell photo.

If the Mackenzie theory is correct, is there a photo out there that shows where his ashes were scattered (approximate)?

TMuldoon-love the Colt piece-learned a lot.

PYoung-Do you mean Cedar Hill Cemetery in Frankford?  Also, do you have proof of the ashes being scattered at the Wissahickon (beyond the rock memorial of course)?

Phil Young

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
John,

Yes, it is in Frankford as far as I know and yes, Tilly's granddaughter Barbara was there with her mother and grandmother and told me about it back in 2003. She was about 13 years old at the time so I trust her memory.

John Burnes

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
From the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, the great Alexander Findlay.

Sam Krume

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
I believe James Braid is laid to rest just round the corner from Walton Heath at St Peter’s Church at Walton-on-the-Hill.

John Burnes

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 06:24:07 AM »
I should mention that no less than 60 yards away from Findlay's grave, is William Law Anderson.  I don't think he was a course architect, but he did win 4 Western Opens and 4 US Opens, so there's that.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
On my way to NCAA Division 3 Championship  in Saratoga Springs , I stopped by to play Ekwanok at the invitation of Syd Stokes and Syd told me that " The Old Man ' was buried just down the road about 1/2 mile West. Found the cemetary and the grave after a 1'2 hour search. Have been to Bobby Jones grave, Hagan's George Wright's, Mr. Ouimet's and a few others. Also have one of 75 service programs for William Ben from July 29th ,1997 in mint condition that is displayed in my Golf Room. Forever impressed by the the list of Honorary Bearers for Mr. Hogan that are listed on page 2..
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back