News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul Gray

Re: Cruden Bay changes to 9th,10th &16th
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »
Whose doing the work again?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »
If this doesn't bring Anthony Gray back, nothing will.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
via Ru MacDonald

« on: August 13, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote 

As discussed at length the proposed changes to Cruden Bay's #9,10 & 16 holes were given the approval by members last night at the EGM. This will allow Alister Matheson (Course superintendent) to work closely with architects Mackenzie and Ebert during the winter improvements programme. I strongly believe with these improvements and the work Alister and his team continue to implement, my home course is going to get better with age!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
What exactly is being done?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
If I remember correctly, new 9th tees to the left (closer to edge of plateau) creating more pronounced dogleg to new 9th green (a bit further left) which will be flipped with new 10th tees (to the right) so the 10th tee shot brings in a more attractive, diagonal with the stream down a notch in the hillside.... Fronting mound on 16th hole being lowered to give better visibility & playability to green.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:09:49 AM »
If I remember correctly, new 9th tees to the left (closer to edge of plateau) creating more pronounced dogleg to new 9th green (a bit further left) which will be flipped with new 10th tees (to the right) so the 10th tee shot brings in a more attractive, diagonal with the stream down a notch in the hillside.... Fronting mound on 16th hole being lowered to give better visibility & playability to green.

As above. Any questions please ask.
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:23:14 AM »

Did you beat Matt Ginella and if so by how many shots! :) :)

atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the results. Sound like good changes to me.

Frank Pont

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the results. Sound like good changes to me.

Thanks for the compliment Ally.

These are the exact changes I proposed to the club in 2007-08.....

Hope they leave the green of 16 alone, and only lower the entrance which has been raised by 3-4 feet by wind blow.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »

Did you beat Matt Ginella and if so by how many shots! :) :)

atb

Ha- it was great to show Matt around. I met him on his last visit to CB the previous summer with Alan Shipnuck and co. If I were to decide where I'd make my mainstream screen debut it would have been on the links at Cruden! :) :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:34:25 PM by Ru Macdonald »
If you have played in Scotland and want to share your experience with other golfers I'd love to talk with you, Scottish Golf Podcast.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:56 PM »
Frank, yes the green remains untouched on 16. If I could figure out how to add images to the post I'd share with the thread some pictures from last week.  ???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:33:23 PM by Ru Macdonald »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »
If the 16th green is not changed, it will probably still not hold a pitch and you'll still have to bump and bumble your shot well short of the green for it to "hold" or am I wrong?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
If the 16th green is not changed, it will probably still not hold a pitch and you'll still have to bump and bumble your shot well short of the green for it to "hold" or am I wrong?

Good question and one asked by members. Tee shot still designed to play as a chase onto the green but without the balls running through the green after hard bounces off the dune front left. Mackenzie said the ball can now run left to right and right to left onto green.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/Crudenbaygolf/status/529326724786700288

New green at the 9th starting to take shape. Will be a stunning hole with views to die for!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/works-begin-on-improving-9th10th.html

Turf has been stripped from the 16th approach .

Root zone is also being stripped and layed aside to be reused.

Ground clearance is in progress on the site of the new 9th Tees .

ward peyronnin

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
I studied the plans and the actual course locations when there in September and I enthusiastically endorse the program.

Nine will be much improved and the opening up of ocean views along the right side of the hole will add a stunning and astonishingly overlooked opportunity as one travels along that highest point of the course
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 04:36:24 AM »
http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/winter-project-update-3.html

Things have been progressing steadily considering the weather conditions are wet wet wet! Lol
Drainage has been installed as well as the
sub base of sand for the 9th green .Our Architect has cross checked levels ect and is happy .

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/Crudenbaygolf/status/533599104556097536

Half the 9th infinity green laid. Redevelopment work taking shape. Exciting times.

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
So the new 9th tee yesterday looks like this..:o

Patrice Boissonnas

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
Funny enough I was in Cruden Bay 1 month ago and was able to take pictures of the 5 explanation posters displayed near the Pro Shop

Overview of holes 9 & 10:

Hole 9:

Hole 10:

Hole 16:

Brian Freeman

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing... This is excellent detail on the changes being made.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Latest blog post on the project. http://www.crudenbaylinks.blogspot.co.uk

Ru Macdonald

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back