News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Inverness #18/Baltimore CC #18
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
So on the front page, Ran has a picture of Inverness' finishing hole. It is a sporty 370 yard par 4 and he says we need more like it. I agree completely. But the funny thing is, Baltimore Country Club's finishing hole is a sporty 384 yard par 4, but everyone that plays there says it is a big let down and we need a bruising finisher more like our second hole. I like to finish on a hole that doesn't beat you up every time you play it. This hole can beat you up if you are in the wrong spot, but generally this hole is one of the easier on the course.

So what is it, do we need a birdie hole on #18 or a hole that will wreck a round?

PS I love Somerset Hills' 18th as well.
Mr Hurricane

Jimmy Muratt

Re: Inverness #18/Baltimore CC #18
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
Jim,

The best finishing holes can accomplish both.  They can reward a well played aggressive shot but also punish (sometimes severely) a mis-played shot.  This creates a potential swing hole that we all love.  These short par 4 finishers can often be dismissed as easy or a let down if the range of scores is relatively narrow. 

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Jim,

I have no problem with #18 at Baltimore CC. Great course with lots of fun holes. #18 is perfect, IMO. A very pleasant, cool down sort of hole on a course where you just don't want the round to end.
Tim Weiman

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Both finishing holes at my home club are brute par 4's.  It certainly makes sure you don't let your guard down playing the last hole!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:24 PM »
Both finishing holes at my home club are brute par 4's.  It certainly makes sure you don't let your guard down playing the last hole!

Mark

That's for damn sure. But it does go to show you that a great finisher is a great finisher regardless of length. The Wissahickon 18th is more or less a par 5 for me, and I still think it's one of the best finishing holes in the Philadelphia area.

On that note, 18 at Merion East is a monster, but I don't think I'd be able to find too many people who would deny that it's a fantastic finishing hole.

Elsewhere, you have a hole like 18 at Garden City - a very challenging par 3 - that is also fantastic. Likewise for the crazy 18th at Yale. But on the other hand, you have rather tame par 5s at places like Piping Rock and Creek Club (although both are uphill, the Creek substantially so, neither is particularly difficult) which I also really liked.

I guess the takeaway tor me is that, whether the last hole is long/short/easy/difficult, the more important thing is that it fits in with the rest of the course and leaves a favorable impression.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »

Mark

I guess the takeaway tor me is that, whether the last hole is long/short/easy/difficult, the more important thing is that it fits in with the rest of the course and leaves a favorable impression.

This last statement is spot on. 
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
Jim,

I have no problem with #18 at Baltimore CC. Great course with lots of fun holes. #18 is perfect, IMO. A very pleasant, cool down sort of hole on a course where you just don't want the round to end.

My sentiments as well.

I am sure it would not fit the Matt Ward bust your ballz finishing hole though. Lots of bets won and lost on this hole which I find fun.
Mr Hurricane

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:25 PM »
 8) I suspect Bob Tway and Paul Azinger have a favorable opinion of Inverness' 18th and Greg Norman.. not so much!

At the WCC's Player Course, the 9th and 18th were switched (both par 4's), which traded focus on a real hard approach shot for focus on a drive with death by water left.  I like the wild-card of a birdie opportunity from two good shots rather than needing a one good and one passive agressive or defensive, i.e, play safe to back of green type shot and hope the competition screws up worse. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back