News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Is there a "barrens" school of architecture?
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
I recently went for a walk at the Wells Barrens Preserve in Wells, Maine.

This is a vital conservation area, and I was enjoying it as such. However, I must confess that after a while I began to imagine a golf course laid out on these 550 magnificent sandy acres.

Are there such courses out there? Courses on barrens or built to emulate this gorgeous landscape?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Peter Pallotta

Re: Is there a "barrens" school of architecture?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »
Wow.

I'm as blind as a bat with such things, but I think I can already see a gentle Par 5 opener, a short but dangerous Par 3 2nd set amidst the trees, and then a stout Par 4 coming back (and playing into the wind).  Perfect for C&Cs tastes and approach -- they haven't been afraid (and have been accused, I believe) of sometimes being "boring" -- so called. Let me tell you, if you can start "4-4-4" at Barren Wells you should take that to the bank and run, not walk, to the next tee.  

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:05:20 PM by PPallotta »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
That land reminds me of the Carthage Club.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
I have to disagree with the esteemed Mark B. The land for Barren Wells is much more interesting than that for the Carthage Club. Take for example the opening Par 5, a slight right-to-left dogleg with room to the right. If you'll notice: about 230 yards out from the white tees you see a slight rise, maybe only 2 or 3 feet in elevation -- but enough in the hands of expert architects to create a conundrum/choice in the golfer's mind, as a 'safe' tee shot off to the right leaves a tricky second with the ball above your feet and an slightly obscured view, and little chance of reaching the green in two.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:25:07 PM by PPallotta »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
In addition to an all-world routing, Carthage Club has ambiance and solid infrastructure -- sets up well for events

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Just the kind of place Tom Simpson would have loved.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
Mark - granted re the Carthage Club, but note: Barren Wells is out in the middle of nowhere, is difficult to get to, provides only very expensive on-site accomodation, charges $195 a round (after October 1st), and features a $22.50 hot-dog made of muskrat meat and organic seaweed at the turn....so it has all that going for it.

Peter

Remember - as the greeting card says: Minimalism means NEVER having to say you're sorry!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:35:41 PM by PPallotta »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
"That's because he treats her like dirt. Anyone can get a girl that way."

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
Was the ill-fated Booth/Faxon Burnt Mills near this land?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
Keenly observed Bradford, as that site is just to the south. I have always wanted to walk that abandoned layout. Poor Burnt Mill . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
I think its cousin might be the moors of England and Scotland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7zhYzenhY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back