News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: The best and most memorable 18th hole you've played - TOC or another?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »
Royal Dublin's home hole is, in my experience, utterly unique. I've never seen anything like it. It's also, I think, magnificent, if you don't mind OoB as a hazard. Hit your tee shot close to the OoB, and you have a reasonable chance to get home in two and make your four; the more you avoid the OoB, the less chance you have of reaching in two. My only qualm with the hole is the extent it favours the long hitter.

Thank you Adam.

The first time I saw the hole on TV, I think it was watching Seve and Bernhard etc playing in the Irish Open many moons ago, it seemed to have a bit of 'wow' about it so it's nice to get some confirmation of my TV-perception.

atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 06:48:29 PM »
I think it's the responsibility of the thread-writer to do a better job defining what he/she is after in the thread. "Best" and "Most Memorable" are about as specific as "good."

And the rest of you, take the shackles off you keyboards and spend some time on thesaurus.com. Let's enhance our idiolects and really write what we mean.

I hate when anyone (Jason Thurman, you're the victim today) says "XYZ is the answer" as though anyone were given title to the final say. I guess I'm all about humility; if you describe it well enough, people will say "fuck, he's right!"

As for my best and most memorable, they all are. They mean something and they challenged me somehow. Most important, they define the end of a journey I spent with two or three golfing friends. From the last at Grover Cleveland to the final trace of Webhannet, I'm the luckiest guy on earth each time my feet touch the sunny side of the sod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR_hPPV8td8
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57:01 AM »
TOC, Olympic Lake and Inverness all have special finishing holes, the later being tough pars despite having a very short iron in hand.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 06:12:12 AM »
I have four candidates. 

TOC - very memorable and a good, but not a great hole

Perranporth - an excellent hole, but not overly memorable being next to a caravan site

Kington - a very fun hole which usually takes some skill, luck and knowledge to play well...very memorable

Burnham & Berrow - A great hole which is quite difficult and quite memorable

The best of both worlds would see Kington as my clear choice.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »
Sean what % of luck is required? Will ten good tee shots on the same line end up reasonably close to each other?
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 07:51:41 AM »
Sean what % of luck is required? Will ten good tee shots on the same line end up reasonably close to each other?

Yes, if they are the sameish length; probably end up within 10-25 yards of each other.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim Nugent

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »
I haven't seen anyone nominate Yale's 18th as most memorable.  From what I hear of it, sounds totally unique. 

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
I'm undoubtedly biased but the two that stand out for me are the 18th's at Moray Old and at Silloth. Hard to pick between the two, but if push came to shove I think Silloth's is probably the stronger and perhaps better of the two with the better drive but if I was choosing which I would wish to play repeatedly then the approach shot into the raised green at Moray Old would win it every time.

BTW, the home hole at Forfar is rubbish. It's one of only two rubbish holes on the course.

Niall

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
I'm kind of partial to Knollwood's 18th in White Plain NY.
A dominant long four with a two great opposing cants in the landscape

Drive requires a cut around the creek for position.
Bail left and you end up with a 3 wood - on a fade lie - needing to hit a heavy draw

But it gets better
The approach all flows the opposite way requiring a draw into a Redan like approach
Miss right and end up eight feet below the green in an immense bunker

The approach

Awesome four and my favourite finisher...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:40:30 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Will Lozier

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
I haven't seen anyone nominate Yale's 18th as most memorable.  From what I hear of it, sounds totally unique. 

True...I guess it didn't come to my mind because I played the last three holes in the dark!  It was quite a nighttime hike up and over that hill!

JBovay

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

True...I guess it didn't come to my mind because I played the last three holes in the dark!  It was quite a nighttime hike up and over that hill!

For me, the 18th at Yale is the most memorable finishing hole that you don't see on TV, by a landslide. After 12 years, I'll make a return visit to Yale this Saturday and I'll be able to see whether I still think it's one of the best!

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

For me, the 18th at Yale is the most memorable finishing hole that you don't see on TV, by a landslide. After 12 years, I'll make a return visit to Yale this Saturday and I'll be able to see whether I still think it's one of the best!

Can't think of another that bests Yale for most memorable.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
Yale's 18th is so unique. It's a four-course meal over 650 yards. It feels like four continents at once. It feels like you might fall off the edge, literally, at any moment.

For all I know, it might have the most amazing putting surface in the world, but I don't remember it. After the hiking expedition that is the tee to green trek, I was completely agotado.

And, if that isn't enough, imagine the X-C races that utilize it. Must be the best race course in the entire northeast.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Frank Kim

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:24 PM »
The most memorable 18th hole for me is a hole that no longer exists.  The original 18th at Eldorado in Cabo played right next to the ocean.  If you hit a bad slice your ball was in the Sea of Cortez.  When Discovery Land bought the course the 9th and 18th holes were turned into lots.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »
18th at Riviera is my best and most memorable. Euks on the right. Kikuyu on the left. Natural amphatheater green.
18th at Pebble has the ocean but not as fun to play as Riviera.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Paul Gray

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 04:03:50 AM »
Best might be a push but 18 at Camberley sticks in my mind. I do like that hole.

And I've personally never played it but I would imagine Reddish Vale sticks in the memory bank.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back