News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Breaking Down the Bendelow List
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Does anyone have more information on Iowa City Country Club in IA and Overland Park in Golden, CO?  Are these NLE or are these predecessor names of existing courses?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
Does anyone have more information on Iowa City Country Club in IA and Overland Park in Golden, CO?  Are these NLE or are these predecessor names of existing courses?

Tim:

Here's what I have on both courses:

Iowa City CC - This course is indeed NLE.  It first appears in the 1901 Harpers, with a date of organization of 1899.  The 1900 date for Bendelow seems off, as he had not yet moved to the Midwest (to be fair, the ASGCA has this as an Unknown date).  The course appears in all of the Annual Guides up to 1931, with a notation that the yardage jumped by approximately 900 yards around 1922.  My best guess is that Bendelow came in some time after the course was established to do some work.

Overland Park - My guess is that this is supposed to be a reference to Overland Park in Denver, and that Stuart's list has the location wrong.  I have no record of any course of this name in Golden from any of the early sources.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:21:25 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCrosby

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Sven -

Two nits on East Lake. First, it was the Atlanta Athletic Club course that was built at a place called East Lake, a former fairgrounds bearing that name. (The East Lake Golf Club came into existence circa 1976 when the AAC moved north of Atlanta and built two new courses there.  The splitting off of the East Lake GC was born in acrimony and the two clubs have never been related.)  

Second, the club history indicates that Bendelow did a drawing for an 18 hole course at East Lake in 1906, but only nine holes were built that year. After it was determined that there was sufficient interest in golf, the other nine was built the next year.  (There is no record I can find of which holes were built first. Bendelow's routing did not come back to the clubhouse after nine holes (one of the reasons people were unhappy with his routing from the get-go), so the first holes built were probably a mash-up of front and back nine holes.

Some Bendelow still exists at EL. The current island green on the par 3 6th hole is an original Bendelow green. On the Bendelow course it was the green for a par 5 that ran more or less down the current 7th fairway. A number of other Bendelow hole corridors were retained by George Adair (with an assist from H.H. Barker) when he re-routed the course in 1911/12.  For example, the unimaginative, back and forth routing of 12, 13, 14 and 15 were carried over from the Bendelow course.

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Sven -

Two nits on East Lake. First, it was the Atlanta Athletic Club course that was built at a place called East Lake, a former fairgrounds bearing that name. (The East Lake Golf Club came into existence circa 1976 when the AAC moved north of Atlanta and built two new courses there.  The splitting off of the East Lake GC was born in acrimony and the two clubs have never been related.)  

Second, the club history indicates that Bendelow did a drawing for an 18 hole course at East Lake in 1906, but only nine holes were built that year. After it was determined that there was sufficient interest in golf, the other nine was built the next year.  (There is no record I can find of which holes were built first. Bendelow's routing did not come back to the clubhouse after nine holes (one of the reasons people were unhappy with his routing from the get-go), so the first holes built were probably a mash-up of front and back nine holes.

Some Bendelow still exists at EL. The current island green on the par 3 6th hole is an original Bendelow green. On the Bendelow course it was the green for a par 5 that ran more or less down the current 7th fairway. A number of other Bendelow hole corridors were retained by George Adair (with an assist from H.H. Barker) when he re-routed the course in 1911/12.  For example, the unimaginative, back and forth routing of 12, 13, 14 and 15 were carried over from the Bendelow course.

Bob

Bob:

Appreciate the feedback.  The name issue is a factor of using the ASGCA list (which seems to adopt the modern names as opposed to the names of the clubs when Bendelow worked on them).

There's an interesting side note on those back and forth holes, in that Bendelow noted their up and down nature when discussing the extreme length of the course, and that you could not always just use the actual distance to determine a courses "true" length (I'll need to find the specific article and post it here).

I wonder if the date for "AAC" was actually 1905.  In an article posted earlier in the thread dated in 1905, it is noted that Bendelow had just returned from laying out a $25,000 course in Atlanta.

Sven
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:06:58 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

BCrosby

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
"There's an interesting side note on those back and forth holes, in that Bendelow noted their up and down nature when discussing the extreme length of the course, and that you could not always just use the actual distance to determine a courses "true" length."

Not sure I follow. Those 'back and forth' holes are relatively flat, so I'm unclear why their stated yardage would mislead players as to their "true" length.

To the your larger point, yes, East Lake at 6900 + yards in 1907 was INCREDIBLY long. Having fun with numbers, if the average drive of a good player in 1907 was 220 yards (which is being generous), East Lake played in 1907 the way an 8400 yard course would today. Which helps explain why Bobby Jones was such a long player for his time. He needed to be long just to play his home course.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:38:43 PM by BCrosby »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
"There's an interesting side note on those back and forth holes, in that Bendelow noted their up and down nature when discussing the extreme length of the course, and that you could not always just use the actual distance to determine a courses "true" length."

Not sure I follow. Those 'back and forth' holes are relatively flat, so I'm unclear why their stated yardage would mislead players as to their "true" length.

To the your larger point, yes, East Lake at 6900 + yards in 1907 was INCREDIBLY long. Having some some fun with numbers, if the average drive of a good player in 1907 was 220 yards (I think I am being generous), EL played then they way an 8400 yard course would today. Which helps explain why Bobby Jones was such a long player for his time. He needed to be long to play his home course.

Bob

Bob:

Not to bicker, but my memory (having a half dozen plays and a couple of days walking the course during the Tour Chamionship) of the stretch of holes from 12 to 15 (and 16) is that they play up and down the hill on that side of the course.  Just look at 15 and 16, which are not flat holes.

Hopefully I can find the article, which will put this all in TB's words.  [Edit:  Article found and added to post #39.]

Sven
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:03:12 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Sven:  

Minor add to the 1909 list:  Port Huron G&CC was founded originally in 1899 as Port Huron Golf Club on property on the south side of town.  The TB course was designed in 1909, but not constructed and opened until the summer of 1912 on property in Fort Gratiot Township, just north of PH (see my piece on PHGC In My Opinion).  Per Stuart's book on his Grandfather there is a SGG reference to TB having actually designed 18 holes in 1909.  The property that TB designed the course for was finally purchased (closed) beginning in 1910 and continuing thru to 1916.  It definitely had room for 18 holes, as Alison later proved in 1921.  After losing its lake front property in the depression, and eventually two Alison holes to a county road, the club went back to being called simply PH Golf Club as it is today.

Thanks for your work.  
Anthony Gholz

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »
Anthony:

I added in the SGG reference for Port Huron (and the clip of the article).

Sven

BCrosby

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
Sven -

It would be interesting to see the TB article. 15 is indeed uphill, but the previous three holes are relatively flat. 16 is back down the hill to the lake. But whatever, East Lake circa 1907 was a very long course. The course would have been a monster. I wonder if TB wasn't a bit defensive about that in his article.

My understanding is that most of TB's courses were 6500 yds or less. If that's roughly correct, the puzzle is who at the AAC asked TB to build such an outlier at East Lake? Hmmm.  

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
Sven -

It would be interesting to see the TB article. 15 is indeed uphill, but the previous three holes are relatively flat. 16 is back down the hill to the lake. But whatever, East Lake circa 1907 was a very long course. The course would have been a monster. I wonder if TB wasn't a bit defensive about that in his article.

My understanding is that most of TB's courses were 6500 yds or less. If that's roughly correct, the puzzle is who at the AAC asked TB to build such an outlier at East Lake? Hmmm.  

Bob

Around 1907 TB was very outspoken regarding the effect the new ball was having on the game.  The article posted above about Des Moines CC was one reaction, he was looking to lay out a 6,900 yard course, an amazing number for that time period.  One can surmise that he thought the game was becoming too easy.  My guess is his work at AAC was an extension of those thoughts.

I have the ability to track the distances of a good number of Bendelow's courses when built.  Perhaps that is an exercise for another time.

There's an interesting side discussion here if Bobby Jones benefitted from growing up on a course laid out to provide such a stern test.

Sven
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:38:56 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
Does anyone have more information on Iowa City Country Club in IA and Overland Park in Golden, CO?  Are these NLE or are these predecessor names of existing courses?

Tim:

Here's what I have on both courses:

Iowa City CC - This course is indeed NLE.  It first appears in the 1901 Harpers, with a date of organization of 1899.  The 1900 date for Bendelow seems off, as he had not yet moved to the Midwest (to be fair, the ASGCA has this as an Unknown date).  The course appears in all of the Annual Guides up to 1931, with a notation that the yardage jumped by approximately 900 yards around 1922.  My best guess is that Bendelow came in some time after the course was established to do some work.

Overland Park - My guess is that this is supposed to be a reference to Overland Park in Denver, and that Stuart's list has the location wrong.  I have no record of any course of this name in Golden from any of the early sources.

Thanks Sven.  I know Overland in Denver--you really have to squint to see much architecture there now.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »

Pickwick CC (Lombard, IL) - Dec. 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow may remodel part of the proposed course.  Jan. 1910 The American Golfer notes construction of this course.  July 1910 The American Golfer notes opening of 18 holes.

Streator GC (Streator, IL)
Huntington CC (Huntington, IN) - The List has this as Unknown date.  Nov. 20, 1909 Huntington Herald notes course laid out (see below).
Lafayette Course at Lafayette CC (Lafayette, IN) - May 1910 The American Golfer notes new course laid out.
Wawasee GC (Syracuse, IN) - The List has two entries for Wawasee (one in 1910 in Syracuse, IN and one in 1912 in Wauwasee, IN).  Nov. 12, 1912 Goshen Democrat (see below) notes Bendelow overseeing construction of the course.  May 1, 1913 Syracuse Journal (see below) and May 27, 1913 Goshen Democrat notes course laid out by Bendelow.  May 1910 The American Golfer notes Wawasee GC laid out.  Dec. 1912 The American Golfer notes course in Wauwasee laid out by Bendelow.

Waveland GC (Des Moines, IA)
Muskegon CC (Muskegon, MI)
South Haven GC (South Haven, MI) - Aug. 1910 The American Golfer notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Bellerive CC (St. Louis Field Club) (St. Louis, MO)
Excelsior Springs GC (Excelsior Springs, MO) - Aug. 1910 The American Golfer (see above) notes 9 hole course laid out by Bendelow.  Dec. 1914 The American Golfer notes Bendelow laid out course in Excelsior Springs.
Point Pleasant GC (Point Pleasant, NJ)
Rosemont CC (Fairlawn, OH)
Moundbuilders CC (Newark, OH) - The List has 1927.  Aug. 1910 The American Golfer (see above) notes new 9 hole course laid out by Bendelow in Newark.
Manitowoc GC (Manitowoc, WI) - The List has this as date Unknown.
Milwaukee CC (Milwaukee, WI)

Hunington (Huntington Herald, Nov. 20, 1909) -

Wawasee (Goshen Democrat, Nov. 26, 1912) -

Wawasee (Syracuse Journal, May 1, 1913)-

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:01:24 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »
I was fortunate to spend last Sunday morning at Muskegon Country Club, first laid-out by Bendelow in 1910, with subsequent (and significant) work done by Donald Ross (1920) and then, unfortunately, more work by Bruce and Jerry Matthews (1977).  It is a great piece of property just off of Lake Michigan and Muskegon Lake, over 100 acres all built on a sand dune.

The club has a very nice centennial book that provides, in great detail, the entire history of the club.  I am not entirely though the course history, but there is a chapter on the early course and Bendelow.  The authors devote several paragraphs to dispel the notion that Bendelow was simply an architect that "mass-produced a thousand abominations barely recognizable as golf courses through a slap-dash method dubbed '18-holes on a Sunday afternoon.'"

Not much about Bendelow's work at Muskegon remains, save a rough drawing of the layout and some early references in the club accounting books.  According to the records, including three total payments to Bendelow ($120.00, $15.00 and $18.00) suggesting he may have made multiple visits to the club during the design and building of the course.

If you haven't had the opportunity to see or play Muskegon, the reward is worth the effort - a very nice course on some wonderful terrain.  Removal of a thousand or so trees would only make it better...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Paso Robles GC (Hot Springs, CA) - Dec. 1911 Travel Magazine Ad notes course laid out by Bendelow.  Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes 9 hole 3,300 yard course completed.

Clifton-By-The Sea (Los Angeles, CA) - Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes 9 hole 3,000 yard course completed.
Redonda Beach GC (Redonda Beach, CA)
Lincoln Park GC (San Francisco, CA) - The List has 1908.  Aug. 1910 The American Golfer notes new public course laid out in Lincoln Park.  March 1912 The American Golfer (see article in 1912 listing) notes new 9 hole course laid out by Bendelow.  

Garfield Municipal (Chicago, IL)
Glen Oak CC (Glen Ellyn, IL)
Midland CC (now Kewanee Dunes) (Kewanee, IL)
Park Ridge CC (Park Ridge, IL) - Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes club purchased 100 acres in Park Ridge for a course.
Geneva G&CC (Muscatine, IA) - The List has 1903.  Oct. 4, 1911 Muscatine Journal notes Bendelow staked out the course.  July 1912 The American Golfer notes new course completed.

Ottumwa CC (Ottumwa, IA) - The list has 1922.  May 6, 1911 Ottumwa Tri-Weekly Courier article notes Bendelow putting the course in shape.

Standard GC (Louisville, KY)
Gull Lake CC (Richland, MI)
Spring Lake CC (Spring Lake, MI)
Seymour Lake CC (Omaha, NE) - The list has this as date Unknown.
Hamilton County GC (Maketewah CC) (Cincinnati, OH) - The List has a separate entry for Hamilton CC in "Bond Hill" (the neighborhood where Maketewah is now located) with a date of 1925.  Dec. 19, 1910 New York Tribune and Jan. 1911 The American Golfer articles note 6,100 yard Hamilton County GC laid out by Bendelow.  May 23, 1911 Brooklyn Daily Eagle notes Bendelow laid out 6,140 yard course.  Dec. 1914 The American Golfer notes course laid out by Bendelow in the last year.  1914 Spaulding Official Golf Guide notes course was laid out by Bendelow.

Union CC (Dover, OH)
Ellwood City GC (Ellwood City, PA) - The list has this as date Unknown.
River Crest CC (Fort Worth, TX) - The List has this as Fort Worth GC as well, which is the name it was referred to in the following article.  Jan. 1911 Golf Magazine and Feb. 1911 The American Golfer articles note 6,300 yard course laid out by Bendelow.

1921 Photo of Lincoln Park GC (San Francisco) -

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:38:53 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
The following March 1912 The American Golfer article summarizes a good deal of Bendelow's work leading up to that date:

Little Rock CC (Little Rock, AR) - March 1912 The American Golfer (see above) notes Bendelow extending course from 2,600 to 3,300 yards.
Point Loma (San Diego CC) - The List has 1913 and has a separate listing for San Diego CC in 1913.  March 1912 The American Golfer (see above) notes Bendelow laying out 18 hole course for the San Diego CC at Point Loma.
Private Course for I.A. Hellman (San Leandro, CA) - March 1912 The American Golfer (see above) notes Bendelow laying out 6 hole private course for Isaac Hillman.
Beresford CC (Peninsula G&CC) (San Mateo, CA) - Dec. 25, 1911 The San Francisco Call article notes Bendelow to lay out 18 holes for Beresford County Club.  Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes 150 acres purchased.  March 1912 The American Golfer (see above) notes Bendelow designing 18 hole course in San Mateo.

Santa Cruz GC (Casa Del Ray) (Santa Cruz, CA) - The List has 1913.  Jan. 6, 1912 The San Francisco Call article (see below) notes Bendelow planned the Santa Cruz links.  Jan. 28, 1912 The San Francisco Call article has Bendelow laying out 18 holes for Casa del Rey G&CC.  Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article (see below) notes 18 hole course being constructed on 120 acres.  March 1912 The American Golfer (see above) has Bendelow laying out 18 hole 6,460 yard course for the Casa del Rey.
Rock Spring CC (Alton, IL)
Bloomington CC (Bloomington, IL)
CHPD Golf Club East (Chicago Heights CC) (Chicago Heights, IL)
CC of Decatur (Decatur, IL)
Elmhurst GC (Elmhurst, IL) - Jan. 1911 The American Golfer article notes acquisition of new land and plans to extend course from 9 to 18 holes.  May 1912 The American Golfer article (see below) notes Bendelow to have charge of construction of the course.
Westward Ho CC (North Lake, IL) - The List has date Unknown.  Aug. 1912 The American Golfer notes club moving to new grounds with new course.
CC of Indianapolis (Clermont, IN) - Aug. 27, 1912 Indianapolis Star (see below) notes new 18 hole course planned by Bendelow.  May 23, 1915 Indianapolis Star notes Bendelow laid out the new course.  1913 Spalding Official Golf Guide notes course designed by Bendelow.

Iroquois GC (Louisville, KY) - Jan. 1912 The American Golfer notes new public course in Iroquois Park with 9 holes laid out by Bendelow.

Lexington CC (Lexington, KY) - The List has 1908.  Dec. 1912 The American Golfer notes Bendelow laid out an entirely new 18 hole course.  Jan. 6, 1913 New York Tribune notes Bendelow laid out the course.

Atlas Valley CC (originally Flint GC) (Grand Blanc, MI) -
Grand Beach CC (New Buffalo, MI) - The List has 1911.
Northland CC (Duluth, MN) - New 18 holes opened in 1913.  June 10, 1914 The Duluth Herald notes Bendelow assisted and gave advice on the construction of the 18 hole course and was in talks to prepare course for State Golf Tourney.

[/quote]
Oakwood CC (Kansas City, MO) - The List has a duplicate entry for "Progress Oakwood CC" in Kansas City with date Unknown.
Belle Meade CC (Nashville, TN) - This should be Nashville G&CC.  Oct. 1912 Golf Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Lakewood CC (Dallas, TX)
Glen Garden CC (Fort Worth, TX)
Rockhill GC (San Antonio, TX) - Looking for source information for this attribution.
The Country Club (Salt Lake City, UT) - May 29, 1912 The Salt Lake Tribune (see below) has Bendelow laying out 18 hole course.
Jefferson Park GC (Seattle, Washington)

Elmhurst -

CC of Indianapolis -

Santa Cruz GC -

The Country Club - Salt Lake:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:11:42 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
Touching back on the Distance Issue for a moment, to give you an idea as to how radical Bendelow's proposed 6,900 yard courses were at the time, here's an article from the Jan 2, 1912 edition of the Ottumwa Tri-Weekly Courier that lays out the distances of a number of famous courses.

BCrosby

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »
Sven - Great find. A couple of observations:

Surprising that N. Berwick was the longest of the British courses in 1912.

East Lake (TB, 1907) at 6900 yds was crazy long for its time.

You suggest above that TB extended Iowa City by 900 yards before 1922  I assume that made the course 6900 yds or more. Do we know what other TB courses were that long then or earlier?

I don't know of any other architect building courses as long at the time.

Bob

Editing the above: Rereading your attachment on a better computer this morning, I now see that NB was 6,066 not 6,666. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:00:28 AM by BCrosby »

Jason Topp

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »
I am interested in the documentation for Waveland in Des Moines.  The course in its present form consists almost entirely of doglegs so it does not fit with my impression of a Bendelow course.  It know it was altered in the 50's or 60's for I 235 but I have seen Old Aerials and it does not look like a Bendelow from what I have seen of his courses.

Are you sure it was not Hyperion in 1910?  The Club website indicates the course was completed then.

The course has never identified Bendelow as a designer as far as I know.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »
Sven:

Port huron Golf Club (Michigan), designed by TB in 1909 and built summer of 1912, was 9-holes.  The card was 3,290 yards par 36 (Bog'y 44) with one par-3 at 145 yards and one par-5 at 550 yards. 5 par-4s between 370 and 405.  Very long for wooden shafts and early Haskell ball.  Subsequent additions and changes by Charles Alison in 1921 and 1928 actually decreased the length.  His card read 3110 + 3003 = 6133 par 72.  he did reroute TB's 550 par-5 into a 566 harder.  I've lasered a couple of the old Bendelow holes and the card is within 2 yards of being accurate.

Tony

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
I am interested in the documentation for Waveland in Des Moines.  The course in its present form consists almost entirely of doglegs so it does not fit with my impression of a Bendelow course.  It know it was altered in the 50's or 60's for I 235 but I have seen Old Aerials and it does not look like a Bendelow from what I have seen of his courses.

Are you sure it was not Hyperion in 1910?  The Club website indicates the course was completed then.

The course has never identified Bendelow as a designer as far as I know.

Jason:

Other than the citations on the ASGCA list and in C&W, I have not seen anything else that confirms Bendelow at Waveland.  If I do find something, I'll add it to the thread.

Sven

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »
Here are a couple of mystery courses that I have not yet been able to identify.

1.  White Plains, NY -

March 26, 1898 New York Tribune

April 2, 1898 Plattsburgh Daily Press

2.  St. Louis, MO -

March 6, 1902 The St. Louis Republic

3.  Chicago, IL, Buffalo, NY (guessing this is Fort Erie) and Greensboro, PA -

June 1910 The American Golfer

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:41:39 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
In late 1911/early 1912 Bendelow made a trip to California to tour the existing courses, to offer advice on improvements and to lay out new courses (The San Francisco Call, Jan, 6, 1912).  

A March 29, 1912 The San Francisco Call article notes the trip was arranged by the Southern Pacific Railroad.

A later report from the Nov. 4, 1913 edition of The New York Tribune notes he laid out 20 courses in California last winter.  I am not sure if this coincided with his 1911/1912 visit, or with a separate trip made in the winter of 1912/1913.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:34:49 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »

Marquette Park GC (Chicago, IL) - May, 1905 Inland Architect and News Record notes 18 hole course has been laid out.  April 1913 The American Golfer notes new 18 hole course under construction for last two years to open.
LaGrange CC (LaGrange, IL)
Ottawa GC (Ottawa, IL) - The List has this as date Unknown.   Dec. 1914 The American Golfer notes Sulphur Springs GC laid out by Bendelow in the last year.
Keokuk CC (Keokuk, IA) - Nov. 1911 The American Golfer notes plans to lay out an 18 hole course.  Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes club purchased site for links.
Hillsdale G&CC (Hillsdale, MI) - June 1913 The American Golfer notes plans to lay out course.
Mullet Lake G&CC (Mullet Lake, MI) - The List has this as 1930.  March 1913 The American Golfer notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Northport Point G&CC (Northport Point, MI)
Jewish Progress Club (Kansas City, MO) - The list has a duplicate entry for a Jewish Progress in Kansas with a date of 1912.
Oakwood Club (Cleveland, OH) - 1914 Spalding Official Golf Guide notes Bendelow extended the 9 hole course to 18.

Western Hills GC (Elberon GC) (Cincinnati, OH) - 1914 Spalding Official Golf Guide notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Wyoming CC (Cincinnati, OH)
Minnehaha GC (Sioux Falls, SD) - July 1913 The American Golfer notes Bendelow surveyed a 9 hole course.

Additions:

Green Spring Valley Hunt Club (Baltimore, MD) - Nov. 4, 1913 New York Tribune notes Bendelow visiting Baltimore to lay out a course.  Dec. 1914 The American Golfer notes Bendelow laid out the course in the last year.

Charlottesville CC (Charlottesville, VA) - Aug. 12, 1913 The Times Dispatch has Bendelow laying out new course for Charlottesville CC.  Dec. 1914 The American Golfer notes Bendelow laying out course in Charlottesville, NC.

Clarksburg CC (Clarksburg, WV) - March 22, 1913 The Daily Telegram notes Bendelow laid out the course.

Vernon G&CC (Vernon, BC, Canada) - April 18, 1913 Vancouver Sun notes laying out a course in Vernon.

Notes:

The List contains a listing for Moorland G&CC in Chicago.  Moorland was most likely the working name for Olympia Fields CC (which will appear later in the thread), as described in this Dec. 1913 The American Golfer article.  Note the location of the proposed club and the architects involved. 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:25:24 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:33 PM »
Back in the early days of American golf, Bendelow wrote an article on the growth of the game in the United States that was included in the Oct. 26, 1896 edition of The Scranton Tribune.

SBendelow

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
Just returned for a trip to Long Island, NY visiting family and doing a bit of research on Bendelow courses laid out between 1896 and 1899 on Long Island, particularly those that may have been done in association with the LIRR.

When I opened the GCA web page I was really blown away.  What terrific job Sven Nilsen has done on researching listings of Bendelow courses.  His attention to detail and documentation is outstanding.  Thank you Sven!!
I am grateful for all comments, additions AND corrections that everyone has offered.  Accuracy is essential to this effort.  Please be assured that I am NOT desirous of wanting to pad my grandfathers listing of golf courses.  The volume of his work is already well established.

I intend to review ALL the information presented here for potential corrections to my listing of Bendelow courses and that which I have shared with the Turfgrass Information Center at MSU.

Thank you all for your interest and willingness to share your information.
Stuart Bendelow

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back