News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Breaking Down the Bendelow List
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
I believe the notation for The Detroit CC in 1900 is a mistaken attribution for Detroit GC.  In the 1939 Club History Book for DGC, it is noted that Bendelow, assisted by Frank Thompson of the club, laid out and built the first 9 hole course.  I am not sure if this work took place in 1899 (the year the club was founded) or in 1900.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
The next set is marked by a shift to the Midwest -

Suburban GC (Anchorage, IL) - This should be Anchorage, Kentucky.  April 7, 1901 The Buffalo Courier notes Bendelow leaving for Anchorage Kentucky to lay out the Suburban CC course.  Undated Chicago Tribune article notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Auburn Park GC (Chicago, IL) - Noted in a June 10, 1901 New York Times article as laid out by Bendelow.  July 1910 Golf Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Elgin CC (Elgin, IL) - May 1901 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out the course.

Manistee G&CC (Manistee, MI)
Riverside CC (Menominee, MI)
Missouri State University GC (Columbia, MO) - March 6, 1902 St. Louis Republic notes course laid out by Bendelow in Columbia.

Charleston CC (Charleston, SC)
Lake Park GC (Milwaukee, WI) - April 24, 1901 NYT article notes Bendelow laid out two 9 hole courses in the Milwaukee parks.  April 27, 1901 Boston Evening Transcript notes course laid out by Bendelow.  June 1901 Golf Magazine (see below) notes Bendlow laid out a 1,800 yard 9 hole course.

West Park GC (Milwaukee, WI) - April 24, 1901 NYT article (see above) notes Bendelow laid out two 9 hole courses in the Milwaukee parks.  April 27, 1901 Boston Evening Transcript notes course laid out by Bendelow.  June 1901 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out a 2,535 yard course.

Additions:

Portage Lake CC (Houghton, MI) - The List has this as date unknown.
Riverside CC (Lansing, MI) - The List has this as date unknown..

Anderson CC (Anderson, IN)
Grandview GC (Des Moines, IA) - Looking for source information for this attribution.  July 1912 The American Golfer notes this as a new 18 hole course and the second public course in Des Moines.
Hollywood GC (Long Branch, NJ)
Misquamicut GC (Watch Hill, RI)

Additions:

Magnolia GC (Pass Christian, MS) - Feb. 6, 1902 Biloxi Daily Herald (see below) notes Bendelow laid out the course.
Mexico GC (Pass Christian, MS) - Feb. 6, 1902 Biloxi Daily Herald (see below) notes Bendelow laid out the course.
Biloxi GC (Biloxi, MS) - Feb. 6, 1902 Biloxi Daily Herald notes Bendelow laid out the course.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:24:10 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
The 1895 citation for Soangetaha noted above seems out of place.  This is a small town course in the Midwest, one that would fit with TB's work in that area starting after his move to Chicago.

A Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine article notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including one in Galesburg.  The course is noted in the 1899 Golf Guide (as Soangetaka GC), so it appears to predate the 1906 date, suggesting this was a remodel.

Sven

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
The list includes Northland Country Club in Duluth. My research definitely puts Bendelow at NCC around the time that the club expanded to 18 holes in 1912, and it certainly makes sense that he would have been involved, but I haven't been able to find any definitive documentation that he in fact designed the club's first 18-hole layout. I don't think Stuart has found any such proof, either.

Rick:

Does this help (from the June 10, 1914 edition of The Duluth Herald):

Sven,

Nice find. I hadn't seen that article. I found previous stories from the Duluth News Tribune in 1909 that said Bendelow was in Duluth to run the 1909 State Amateur championship at Northland, sang Scottish songs at the tournament dinner and played a fourball match that involved the club's best player, Richard Patrick. It seemed logical to me that Bendelow had at least offered assistance when the club expanded the course from 9 to 18 holes in 1912-1913.

Someone also posted an article on GCA written by H.B. Martin in 1914 stating that the course "was practically reconstructed under the watchful eye of Alex Smith, who was engaged to remodel the links and put it in up-to-date style without regard to expense."

I can't find any other reference to Alex Smith being at Northland, so we seem to have competing claims. The article you found makes it more likely than ever that Bendelow deserves some credit for Northland's first 18-hole course. Maybe Bendelow and Smith both worked on the expansion. We need to keep looking for more information.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

Ridge CC (Chicago, IL)
Evanston GC (Evanston, IL) - March 15, 1903 NYT notes Bendelow laying out a new 18 hole course at a new location.  Also noted in April 1903 Golf Magazine.

Farmer City GC (Farmer City, IL)
Monmouth CC (Monmouth, IL)
Algonquin CC (Glendale, MO)
Evanston CC (Kansas City, MO)
Normandie Park GC (St. Louis, MO) - Aug. 1903 Golf Magazine notes course remodeled by Bendelow.

Mohawk GC (Schenectady, NY) - The List has 1898 when original course was built, second course was built in 1903.  June 30, 1902 Albany Evening Journal notes Bendelow visited the new site and made suggestions.  May 1910 The American Golfer (see below) notes course laid out in 1903 by Samuel Hamill, assisted by Emmet and A. F.  Knight and with suggestions from Bendelow.

Hyde Park CC (Cincinnati, OH)
Lakeside GC (nka Branch River) (Meyers Lake, OH) - Looking for source information for this attribution.  The list has a separate Lakeside in Pewaukee, WI with a date of 1906 which it claims is also now known as "Branch River."
Geneva Lake Yacht and GC (Lake Geneva, WI) - This is the same course as George William College as noted in the 1905 listing.
Blue Mound CC (Wauwatosa, WI) - April 18, 1914 The Milwaukee Sentinel article notes Blue Mound was laid out by Bendelow.

Hillsdale GC (Bellwood, IL) - The list has 1909.
Champaign CC (Champaign, IL) - April 1905 Golfers Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Skokie GC (Glencoe, IL)
St. Joseph Valley (South Bend, IN) - April 1905 Golfers Magazine (see above) notes course laid out by Bendelow.
West Baden GC (West Baden, IN) - June 1904 Golfers Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Cedar Rapids CC (Cedar Rapids, IA)
Des Moines CC (Des Moines, IA) - Jan. 2, 1904 Des Moines Capital notes Bendelow expected to lay out new course.  Jan. 24, 1904 Omaha Daily Bee article notes Bendelow laying out new 18 hole course of 6,827 yards, the longest in the world at this time.

Cherokee GC (Louisville, KY) - May 1905 Golfers Magazine notes Bendelow laying out a public course in Cherokee Park.

Greensburg CC (Greensburg, PA) - Club history has course originally laid out by P.B. Graham of Carnoustie with no date given.  

Additions

La Porte CC (La Porte, IN)
Elmridge CC (Kansas City, MO) - Was Bendelow in 1904 or 1910?  March 1910 The American Golfer notes plans to lay out an 18 hole course.

Mohawk -

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:40:31 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
Sven,

The French Lick Valley course and West Baden courses could potentially be the same course, although I seem to recall something else you posted about multiple French Lick courses. The old Valley course is on the dividing line of West Baden. It remains unclear to me how many courses have existed in that area over the years.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
Before moving on through the chronology, I'm going to edit the earlier posts to include the various articles and other citations noted where appropriate.

If anyone has any other source material, please feel free to pass it on or post it to this thread.

Thanks,

Sven

BCrosby

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
Sven -

Fascinating. I don't have much to add other than to note that your materials allow you to trace Bendelow's widening arch year-by-year. By 1904 he is working as far west as Iowa, for example. Looking forward to '05 and '06 when, I think, he begins a swing to the SE and lays out, among other courses, the original East Lake.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Sven -

Fascinating. I don't have much to add other than to note that your materials allow you to trace Bendelow's widening arch year-by-year. By 1904 he is working as far west as Iowa, for example. Looking forward to '05 and '06 when, I think, he begins a swing to the SE and lays out, among other courses, the original East Lake.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the encouragement.  East Lake is coming up, along with an interesting article about its difficulty at that time and Bendelow's thoughts on golf course length.

Sven

Ed Homsey

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Sven--Though club history books are not always the most reliable source, thought I'd mention information from the Onondaga Golf and Country's history book that has a detailed description of the development of their club, and its courses.  The club was founded in April 1898 and called upon David Campbell, an OGCC member, to design a 9-hole course.  Campbell had come to the country from Scotland and almost immediately, began working as a gardener on a prominent Syracuse estate.   Over the next 13-15 years, Campbell designed a second and third nine hole courses for OGCC until 1917 when Travis came in and integrated 2 or 3 existing hole into his 18 hole design.

There is no mention of Tom Bendelow in the OGCC book.

Ed

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
Adding this post as a repository for all of the articles I have dealing with Bendelow's time at Van Cortlandt.

1.  New York Tribune - March 9, 1899

2.  New York Tribune - March 15, 1899

3.  New York Tribune - April 12, 1899

4.  New York Tribune - April 27, 1899

5.  New York Tribune - April 14, 1900

6.  New York Tribune - Feb. 3, 1901

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:33:41 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
Another repository for Bendelow's thoughts on Municipal Golf:

1.  Morning Oregonian - March 24, 1904

2.  The Montreal Gazette - Nov. 14, 1905:

3.  The Evening Independent - March 21, 1913

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:54:36 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
This little blurb from the April 11, 1906 edition of the Evening Star contains some insight into Bendelow's travels abroad and his thoughts on the courses he saw:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
The Distance Issue -

Jackson Park GC (Chicago, IL) - The List has 1899.  May 1905 Golfers Magazine notes Bendelow submitted plans for new 18 and 9 hole courses.  June 1906 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow responsible for placement of new bunkers  Dec. 1911 The American Golfer notes Bendelow to work on course adding hazards.

Fort Mitchell CC (Covington, KY)
Louisville CC (Louisville, KY) - This should be Louisville GC.
Columbus CC (Columbus, OH) - April 1905 Golfers Magazine notes Bendelow laid out an 18 hole course.

Sheboygan Town and Country Club (Sheboygan, WI)
George Williams College GC (aka Geneva Lake Yacht & GC) (Williams Bay, WI) - The List has duplicate entries for Geneva Lake Yacht & GC and George Williams College, they were the same course.  Nov. 1904 and Feb. 1905 Golfers Magazine articles note Bendelow laying out the course (course built near Yerkes Observatory, which is adjacent to the site of the GWC GC).  Nov. 27, 1904 Brooklyn Daily Eagle (see below) notes Bendelow laying out new course for club in Geneva.

Addition:

Shiloh Park GC (Zion, IL) - April 16 and 18, 1905 Chicago Tribune, May 30, 1905 Record Herald note course opening.  April 23, 1905 The Salt Lake Tribune note plans for Bendelow to lay out a course in Zion.  [Note:  Thanks to Tim Cronin for this one, and note we are assuming the course in The Salt Lake Tribune article below became the Shiloh Park GC referred to in the other three articles.]

George William College :

There were two separate reports on Bendelow's work in 1906.  The first is this Jan. 31, 1907 Evening Star article:

The second is from the Feb. 1907 edition of Golf Magazine:

East Lake CC (Atlanta, GA) - The List has 1908.  Oct. 25, 1905 Atlanta Constitution notes Bendelow arriving to lay out the course.  Feb. 11, 1907 New York Tribune article (see below) discusses the new East Lake course.  April 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out a 6,970 yard course.

CC of Savannah (Savannah GA)
South Shore CC (Chicago, IL) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including South Shore.
East End CC (Kankakee, IL) - Apr./May 1906 Golf Magazine notes 3,425 yard 9 hole course laid out by Bendelow.  Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including in Kankakee.

Joliet CC (Joliet, IL) -  The list has 1905 only.  Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including one in Joliet.  May 1910 The American Golfer notes Bendelow shortened the course from 3,200 to 3,000 yards.

Madison Park GC (Peoria, IL) - The List has 1917.  Looking for source information for this attribution.
Illini CC (Springfield, IL) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including in Springfield.
Springfield CC (Springfield, IL) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including in Springfield.
Kokomo CC (Kokomo, IN)
Topeka CC (Topeka, KS) - The List has 1905.
Shawnee Park (Louisville, KY) - May 1905 Golfers Magazine notes a course "is in prospect" by Bendelow in Shawnee Park.  Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including two in Kentucky.

Palisades Park GC (Palisades Park, MI) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including two in Michigan.
Gulfport GC (Gulfport, MS)
Losantiville CC (now Ridge Club) (Cincinnati, OH) - Noted in 1907 Spaulding Official Golf Guide.  Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including one in Ohio.  1914 Spaulding Official Golf Guide notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Butler CC (Butler, PA)
Lakeside GC (now Branch River) (Pewaukee, WI) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including three in Wisconsin.

East Lake article -
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:55:29 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
Following up on the East Lake article above, I'm going to use this space to post any articles related to Bendelow's thoughts on course length.

1.  Feb. 11, 1907 edition of The Sun -

2.  Feb. 24, 1907 edition of The Salt Lake Tribune -

3. April 1907 Golf Magazine -

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:02:18 PM by Sven Nilsen »

BCowan

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
Shawnee CC (Lima, OH) - Should this be 1909?  June 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out a 9 hole course in Lima.

I don't know this is prob right.  Ross must of came in and added 9 and possibly renovated original 9.  Shawnee is considered a Ross course.  Played it once a long time ago. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
Shawnee CC (Lima, OH) - Should this be 1909?  June 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out a 9 hole course in Lima.

I don't know this is prob right.  Ross must of came in and added 9 and possibly renovated original 9.  Shawnee is considered a Ross course.  Played it once a long time ago. 

Ben:

This Shawnee CC (as opposed to the one in Topeka, KS) is not a Ross.  It does not appear on the DRS List and the club's website clearly touts it as a Bendelow.

Sven

Jason Topp

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »
[
Des Moines CC (Des Moines, IA) - Jan. 24, 1904 Omaha Daily Bee article notes Bendelow laying out new 18 hole course of 6,827 yards, the longest in the world at this time.

Love the article on Des Moines Country Club.  I grew up playing on Waveland, the municipal course mentioned in the article.  Des Moines Country Club had moved long before I arrived.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 11:46:13 PM »

Western Miltary Academy GC (Alton, IL) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including one in Alton.
Windsor GC (Chicago, IL) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out 18 hole course over 6,000 yards.

Marsettawa CC (Marseilles, IL) - Noted in a May 17, 1907 The Ottawa Free Trader article (see below) as laid out by Bendelow.  June 1907 Golf Magazine notes 9 hole course laid out by Bendelow.

Springs Valley Golf Links Course at French Lick (French Lick, IN)
Hyperion Field GC (Johnston, IA) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including one in Iowa.
Springfield CC (Springfield, MO) - May 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out 3,157 yard course.

Sioux City CC (Sioux City, IA) - The List has 1908.  May 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out 6,180 yard course.

Avalon at Buhl Park CC (Sharon, PA) - Looking for source information for this attribution.
Memphis CC (Memphis, TN) - The List has 1900.  Aug. 21, 1906 Perry Daily Chief notes Bendelow to work on course.

The Country Club (San Antonio, TX)
Sherman GC (Sherman, TX)
Woodmont CC (Milwaukee, WI) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including three in Wisconsin.

Addition:

Happy Hollow CC (Omaha, NE) - The List has this as 1925 only.  April 24, 1907 Omaha Daily Bee article notes 18 hole course laid out by Bendelow.

Colorado GC (Denver, CO) - This list also has a Lakewood GC in 1908, which was the same course.  A 1908 Golfers Magazine article notes Bendelow laid out the course.  1909 Spalding Official Golf Guide (see below) notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Overland Park GC (Golden, CO)
Beverly CC (Auburn Park GC) (Chicago, IL) - As pointed out by Tim Cronin, Auburn Park was a separate course and is noted in the 1901 listing.  Bendelow made a quick visit to the site, unsure if he contributed to the design.
Garfield Park GC (Chicago, IL) - March 1908 Golf Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Wing Park GC (Elgin, IL)
Mississinewa CC (Indian Oaks) (Peru, IN)
Hutchinson CC (Hutchinson, KS) - The List has this as Date Unknown.  Feb. 2, 1922 Hutchinson News (see below) notes history of the club and that Bendelow laid out the original course and was working on the new course.  June 25, 1940 Hutchinson News notes Bendelow was laying out the new course 20 years ago.

Audobon CC (Louisville, KY) - There is evidence of Bendelow working here in 1911 and 1917, but I have nothing from 1908.  June 6, 1912 Courier-Journal notes new course built by Bendelow.  March 22, 1917 Indianapolis News notes Bendelow trapping and bunkering the course.

CC of Paducah (Paducah, KY)
Minikahda GC (Minneapolis, MN)
Westwood CC (St. Louis MO) - 1908 Golfers Magazine notes formation of the club with a 6,000 yard course, 9 holes being put into shape and 9 more ready for play next Spring.

Oswego GC (Oswego, NY) - The List has 1897, although 1901 Harpers notes club formed in 1899.  1908 Oswego Palladium article notes Bendelow visiting to lay out new course on same property.

Findlay CC (Findlay, OH) - Club website notes Bendelow built the 18 hole course in 1928, no mention of who designed the original 9 holes in 1908.
Pine Lake CC (Waukesha, WI) - Looking for source information for this course.

Additions: 

Abingdon CC (Abingdon, IL) - The List has this as date Unknown.  The course dates from 1908 or earlier, so I am going to add it here with the disclaimer that there is no evidence that Bendelow did the original layout.

Notes:  The Beverly notation should be removed from the list at this point.  There is no evidence Bendelow did anything other than see the site and proclaim it was fit for golf.

Colorado GC/Lakewood article:

Marsettawa article:

Hutchinson -

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:33:55 AM by Sven Nilsen »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
Lakeside GC (now Branch River) (Pewaukee, WI) - Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months of 1906, including three in Wisconsin.

Sven, perhaps a nit to pick.  Whilst there is the 1907 Golf Mag probably refers to this course named Lakeside GC, which may be one of the three built in WI in the previous year, but there is no course there 'now called Branch River'.   There is a Branch River course that was previously private and now run as a club open to the public, but it is 80 miles from Pewaukee.  I think there a lot of cross referencing and assumptions in the long list of courses suspected to be Bendy projects that are impossible to find actual documentation authentication and are confused with others that were laid out by who knows who.  Or, like some projects, one of which I am aware of in modern times, a local archie comes in, makes a site study and does a concept drawing over a topo, and a few preliminary report plan of action on construction, then is aced out by the developer and takes over with construction that uses the archie's plans and does modifications to claim it as his own  I'll say the case I am very aware of is Art Johnson, a local relatively active golf architect, who had a local guy do that to him, and Art being a fellow not to dwell on it, just chalked it up to being stiffed by a prick. 

Could that similar process be at play where Bendy did some prelim work, then got his legs cut out from under by a local, and the course then gets tossed into the Bendy pool by Stuart and successor course operators, yet the scope of the work and project done by Bendy is jus unkonwable.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »
At this point it makes sense to revisit some of the early reported benchmarks for Bendelow's career.

1. As of Jan. 2, 1897, he had produced 47 "greens" in five years.

There are only 21 courses on my list that have a date from before 1897.  That leaves us with around 29 courses yet to be discovered.  There are several courses we know he did that have a "Unknown" date.  Some of these are in locations that would have coincided with where he was doing the bulk of his work during this time period, including:

Stoneybrook GC (Litchfield, CT) - There are no records of this course in any of the early guides.  [Note:  Jim Kennedy informed me that Stonybrook wasn't built until the 1960's, but there is record of Bendelow building a course in Litchfield.]
Ridgefield CC (Ridgefield, CT) - Ridgefield was organized in 1895 and is noted in the early guides.
Mahwah GC (Mahwah, NY) - This is another course for which no records exist in the early guides.
Montour Heights CC (Coraopolis, PA) - The first record is found in the 1920 Annual Guide and notes the club was organized in 1912.
The Country Club (Meadville, PA) - The club first appears in the 1908 guide.  The 1917 Guide notes a date of organization of 1905.

2.  From Jan. 1, 1897 to Sept. 2, 1898 he laid out 83 courses.

I covered this time period in an earlier thread (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59587.0.html).  By my count, there are only 41 courses identified for all of 1897 and 1898.

3.  As of March 19, 1898, he had designed 60 courses in the last year.

This is a hard one to verify, as I'm not sure if they mean 1897, or the period from March 1897 to March 1898.  In any case, I only have 14 courses for all of 1897.

4.  By Nov. 14, 1905 he had a total of 395 courses.

My list has 125 courses verified through the end of 1905.  Even if you count the 50 or so Unknowns, we're still well short of the number.

5.  As of Jan 1907 - (A) Laid out 19 courses in the last year (11 in Illinois) and (B) Laid out or remodeled 20 courses in the last six months.

Here are the various states from the second article listed out:

IL (11 total) - The article notes the following cities.
   Kankakee - East End CC
   Galesburg - Soangetaha CC?
   Joliet - Joliet CC
   Springfield - Illini CC, Springfield CC
   Alton - Western Military Academy GC
   Chicago - South Shore CC
   Other Possibilities - Windsor GC in Chicago,
WI (3) - Lakeside GC, Woodmont CC, ??
KY (2) - Shawnee Park, ??
MI (2) - Palisades Park, ??
OH (1) - Losantiville CC
CT (1) - ?
IA (1) - Hyperion Field GC

Even with this short list, we're still missing a few.  It is possible, however, that a few of these courses were laid out but never built.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:29:50 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »

Sven, perhaps a nit to pick.  Whilst there is the 1907 Golf Mag probably refers to this course named Lakeside GC, which may be one of the three built in WI in the previous year, but there is no course there 'now called Branch River'.   There is a Branch River course that was previously private and now run as a club open to the public, but it is 80 miles from Pewaukee.  I think there a lot of cross referencing and assumptions in the long list of courses suspected to be Bendy projects that are impossible to find actual documentation authentication and are confused with others that were laid out by who knows who.  Or, like some projects, one of which I am aware of in modern times, a local archie comes in, makes a site study and does a concept drawing over a topo, and a few preliminary report plan of action on construction, then is aced out by the developer and takes over with construction that uses the archie's plans and does modifications to claim it as his own  I'll say the case I am very aware of is Art Johnson, a local relatively active golf architect, who had a local guy do that to him, and Art being a fellow not to dwell on it, just chalked it up to being stiffed by a prick. 

Could that similar process be at play where Bendy did some prelim work, then got his legs cut out from under by a local, and the course then gets tossed into the Bendy pool by Stuart and successor course operators, yet the scope of the work and project done by Bendy is jus unkonwable.

RJ -

The course names (and notations such as "Branch River") are taken from the 8/14 version of the ASGCA list.  Part of this exercise is to identify issues or anomalies on the list, so nitpicking is welcome.

To clarify, I've tried to be as specific as possible in my source information comments in italics.  In the case of Lakeside, it itself is not noted in that Feb. 1907 Golf Magazine article.  All that the article states is that there were three courses in Wisconsin from the time period noted.  As noted in my last post, Lakeside is a possibility for one of the courses that the article was referring to.  It should be noted that there is no reference to a Lakeside course in Wisconsin in any of the early guides (there is a big gap between the 1908 and 1917 guides, so this doesn't necessarily mean much).

By adding source material next to the names, as I have tried to do, we can narrow down the courses that we need a bit more information on.

Sven

Nigel Islam

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
The two Ky courses by that date could be Louisville GC and Cherokee in Louisville. Shawnee Park is interesting as I thought that course was designed by Alex McKay in the late 20s. Audabon seems right and remember that Standard CC was formed when LGC and CC of Louisville merged and moved to the current LCC site.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »

Edgewater CC (Chicago, IL) - Aug. 1909 The American Golfer notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Idlewild GC (Flossmoor, IL) - Bendelow also altered the course in 1921.  Jan. 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out the course.  April 1909 Golf Magazine notes Al Naylor assisted Bendelow in laying out the course and was starting work on the greens.  Oct. 31, 1921 Chicago Tribune notes his inspection for improvements.

Lake Shore CC (Glencoe, IL) - Aug. 1909 The American Golfer (see above) notes course laid out by Bendelow.  Jan. 1910 The American Golfer notes construction of the course.
North Shore CC (Wilmette, IL) - Jan. 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out the course.

Highland G&CC (Indianapolis, IN) - March 7, 1909 Fort Wayne Journal Gazette notes Bendelow laid out the course.

Pottawattomie CC (Michigan City, IN)
Wapsipinicon GC (River Ridge GC) (Independence, IA)
Oakland CC (New Orleans, LA) - The List has 1910.  Feb. 11, 1912 The Sun article notes course opened on 70 acres.
Bay City CC (Bay City, MI) - Nov. 1909 The American Golfer notes new course laid out by Bendelow.

Bloomfield Hills CC (Birmingham, MI) - Was this work done later?  Jan. 8, 1918 Brooklyn Daily Eagle notes opening of new course laid out by Bendelow aided by Conellan.

The Highlands CC (aka Grand Rapids Elks CC) (Grand Rapids, MI) - The List has duplicate entries for Highlands and Grand Rapids Elks.  Aug. 1910 The American Golfer notes Bendelow remodeled the course and laid out new 9 holes.  May 1915 The American Golfer notes opening of the Bendelow designed course.

Meadow Heights CC (Jackson, MI) - Aug. 1910 The American Golfer (see above) notes new 9 holes laid out by Bendelow in Jackson.
Kalamazoo CC (Big and Short Courses) (Kalamazoo, MI) - June 1909 Golf Magazine notes Bendelow laid out a 9 hole course in Kalamazoo.

Port Huron G&CC (Port Huron, MI) - 1913 Spalding Official Golf Guide notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Hannibal CC (Hannibal, MO)
Fort Erie GC (Buffalo, NY) - Bendelow's work noted in a Dec. 1909 The American Golfer Article (see below).  June 1910 Golf Magazine notes opening of Bendelow designed course.

Coshocton Town and GC (Coshocton, OH) - Aug. 2, 1909 Coshocton Daily Age notes course laid out by Bendelow in the Spring.

Shawnee CC (Lima, OH) - The List has 1904  June 1909 Golf Magazine (see above) notes Bendelow laid out a 9 hole course in Lima.
Stanton Heights CC (Pittsburgh, PA) - Oct. 1909 and Nov. 1909 The American Golfer notes course laid out by Bendelow.  Course highlighted in a June 1910 The American Golfer article.

Anderson CC (Anderson, SC)
Corpus Christi GC (Corpus Christi, TX) - The List has 1922.  Dec. 1909 Golf Magazine notes course laid out by Bendelow.

Dallas CC (Dallas, TX) - The List has 1908.  June 1909 Golf Magazine (see above) notes Bendelow laid out a 18 hole course in Dallas.
CC of Beloit (Beloit, WI)
Chenequa GC (Hartland, WI)
Racine CC (Racine, WI) - June 1909 Golf Magazine (see above) notes Bendelow laid out a 18 hole course in Racine.

Additions:

Madison GC (Peoria, IL)
Flint GC (Flint, MI) - This is the same as Atlas Valley, which the List has as 1912.  Aug. 1910 The American Golfer notes club has a new 9 hole links.
Spokane CC (Spokane, WA)  - Jan 22, 1909 Omaha Daily Bee and Feb. 6, 1909 The Daily Missoulian articles note Bendelow in Spokane to lay out new 18 hole golf course.

1.  Feb. 6, 1909 The Daily Missoulian:

2.  Jan. 22, 1909 Omaha Daily Bee:

Stanton Heights (June 1910 The American Golfer) -

Fort Erie (Dec. 1909 The American Golfer) -

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:54:18 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Jason Topp

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
"The Hyperion Club was organized as a social club on January 25, 1900. The site for the Hyperion golf course was selected in 1907 and opened in 1910."

According to the club's website:  http://www.hyperionfc.com/about

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back