News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: America's 75 Toughest Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
Not sure why East Lake is on there either.  Pac Dunes nor Bandon Dunes belongs.

+1
Unless it is tipped out and then it is just hard by being long.
To me length alone to make a course tough is simply bad design.

Grow that rough up and its really tough.  REALLY tough.

Agree with Dave M..."usual suspects".  Golf Club of GA Creekside is among the most difficult courses I've ever seen.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
So this is created by asking panellists to identify 15 courses that "wear them out".

A good number of those panellists listed CPC.  They must be tired of life itself.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
So this is created by asking panellists to identify 15 courses that "wear them out".

A good number of those panellists listed CPC.  They must be tired of life itself.

Agreed. Or they tried to repeatedly hit 16 green with a strong offshore wind instead of playing safe. That is the one penal hole at CPC.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 04:31:11 PM »
That list is indeed screwy...
Have played about half of those courses and the order/rank is very bizarre.

I do, however, know of a course in New Hampshire that - next to the Ocean Course at Kiawah - is the hardest course I have played.

http://www.sterlinggolf.com/shattuck/pictures.htm

It's called "the Shattuck" and was designed by Brian Silva. I play to around scratch to +1 and, the first time I played it, I lost 9 BALLS!! Ok, so i was off a bit, but still...

This course is very pretty and one can see all kinds of wildlife and mountain views. BUT, if your tee shot is just 4-8 feet off-line, then you are dropping or re-hitting.

I met Brian two years ago and we had lunch as we interviewed him for our course project in Chicago. Great guy and he told me that due to envirnmental concerns, he could not build the fairways and greens surrounds to the original drawings.

I love that this course is just 5 minutes from my parent's summer house, but I do not run out and play when I visit. One ranking had it listed as the "21st most difficult course in the US"...

It's also only about $30 to play plus a cart that is (sadly) needed due to distances from greens to tees.

Will Lozier

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »

I do, however, know of a course in New Hampshire that - next to the Ocean Course at Kiawah - is the hardest course I have played.

It's called "the Shattuck" and was designed by Brian Silva. I play to around scratch to +1 and, the first time I played it, I lost 9 BALLS!! Ok, so i was off a bit, but still...

This course is very pretty and one can see all kinds of wildlife and mountain views. BUT, if your tee shot is just 4-8 feet off-line, then you are dropping or re-hitting.

I met Brian two years ago and we had lunch as we interviewed him for our course project in Chicago. Great guy and he told me that due to envirnmental concerns, he could not build the fairways and greens surrounds to the original drawings.

I love that this course is just 5 minutes from my parent's summer house, but I do not run out and play when I visit. One ranking had it listed as the "21st most difficult course in the US"...

It's also only about $30 to play plus a cart that is (sadly) needed due to distances from greens to tees.

Ian,

I played the Shattuck as many on this site have.  I remember playing decent and carding something like 89.  If my memory serves me, not only is there no width, Shattuck also has it's share of blindness?

Cheeres
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:49:38 PM by Will Lozier »

David Davis

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »

Sounds tough Ian, although your price is a bit off. Assuming you don't play Pinnacle Gold you found while hunting in the bushes for your other lost balls. 9 x 5 (on average) added up to your $30 and that's a $75 round, plus the lessons with your coach to get your swing and confidence back ;-)
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back