News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: OK so I just got the new Confidential Guide...
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 12:58:54 AM »
We need to keep a careful balance so as not to dissuade others from buying the books.  I'd like to see most specific commentary kept offline at least until the first run is sold out.

Instead of dissuading, it may persuade others to buy the book.  Just like previews/reviews do with all sorts of media, from movies to TV shows to books to plays to computer games. 

And unlike the finale to a TV show, there is not one ending to the new CG.  There are, what, 250 courses, each with four ratings?  That's 1000 ratings in all to pore over. 

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »
The other point is that those who really value this resource understand that the heart of the book is in the written reviews.  That's where you'll find whether a course suits your personal interests and game, not in whether Turnberry is a 7 or an 8 (p.s. Its a 7 damn it! :)).  Those who want to focus solely on the numbers would do better to stick with the instant gratification golf rags.  This is a book to be savored over and over for years to come.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris DeToro

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
Hopeful that my book is waiting for me when I get home today...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
Give it a rest Kavanaugh...please.

Ciao

What is so wrong with wanting to read a book before it's contents are splayed out on the internet? I know it sounds old fashion and perhaps even honorable, but really, isn't that what we claim golf to be about? A sense of self discovery, a sense of finding our own way, patience, hard work and challenge?  Whatever you guys want, it's all good to me as I am sure I can secure a tidy profit on eBay.

Don't go to a Discussion Group about golf course architecture and you won't have this problem. I love you John, but seriously, don't open a thread ABOUT THE BOOK if you don't want to ruin your experience.
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »
Modern etiquette towards spoilers is a grey area. Doak seems to not have a problem so that should rule the day.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:38 AM »
I was happy to see the !, ?, and !? were explained in this book. I remember going through the original Confidential Guide trying to find it and thinking I was an idiot because I could not find the definitions. I figured the ! meant a great hole and ? was not, but it was nice to find out what the ?! notation finally meant.

I am happy with an autographed copy too. Thanks again.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

Ciao

What is so wrong with wanting to read a book before it's contents are splayed out on the internet? I know it sounds old fashion and perhaps even honorable, but really, isn't that what we claim golf to be about? A sense of self discovery, a sense of finding our own way, patience, hard work and challenge?  Whatever you guys want, it's all good to me as I am sure I can secure a tidy profit on eBay.

Hey about simply not reading the thread !!! is that too complicated a concept to not spoil your reading?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
Oh, and the Renaissance Club gets a 7 from Doak (same as Kingsbarn) and 6s from the rest, although Doak labours the point that they have not seen the new holes.  

Thanks David

I should order the book(s) at some point ... now that I'm home for a spell
-

Carl Nichols

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
Tom,

I just finished watching the final episode of Boardwalk Empire, only 24 hrs from first showing. Escaping the spoilers throughout the day was exhausting. I'm just so damn weak but avoiding TV blogs comes easier than avoiding this site. If i do sell the book I will sell it unopened in whatever package it is mailed to me. I'm sure the collector who makes the purchase will understand the collectible value in keeping the book in this condition. Your inscription will remain one of mystery and for the ages, if it was inscribed at all. No one will ever know unless they choose to break the seal.

Of course if people can keep from revealing all the interesting contents of the book I just may feel the need to read it myself.

Do you hate book reviews on Amazon too?

Matt Bosela

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
Still patiently waiting for my copy - perhaps stuck at the border coming into Canada.  Looking forward to diving in when it arrives...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
Still patiently waiting for my copy - perhaps stuck at the border coming into Canada.  Looking forward to diving in when it arrives...

Matt:

If it requires a customs form, your order will be shipped tomorrow.  We tried to get as many of the simplest orders as we could process out first.  Now we are falling back on the international books and the credit card rejections.  A few international books have shipped, but I'm working on the rest today.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
I would think buying Barney's copy just to read the inscription would be worth at least $100.
I haven't gotten my copy yet, but the inscription in my father's was worth price for the set!
Thank you Tom!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

BHoover

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »

Ciao

What is so wrong with wanting to read a book before it's contents are splayed out on the internet? I know it sounds old fashion and perhaps even honorable, but really, isn't that what we claim golf to be about? A sense of self discovery, a sense of finding our own way, patience, hard work and challenge?  Whatever you guys want, it's all good to me as I am sure I can secure a tidy profit on eBay.

Hey about simply not reading the thread !!! is that too complicated a concept to not spoil your reading?

But if he did that, what would he have to complain about? Who are we kidding, he would find plenty to complain about, just for the hell of it. He's like The Joker--"some people just like to see the world burn."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:29:58 AM by Brian Hoover »

John Crowley

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
Got it, opended it and am enjoying it.
My plan to see Askernish next Summer is reinforced.
So far no "Michelin" 3 ! holes. The very best hole(s) in the world may be elsewhere. Or maybe there will be no best hole.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Very interesting reading.
The gourmets choice was particularly interesting and certainly food for thought next time I venture home.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:41:57 PM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »

Matt:

If it requires a customs form, your order will be shipped tomorrow.  We tried to get as many of the simplest orders as we could process out first.  Now we are falling back on the international books and the credit card rejections.  A few international books have shipped, but I'm working on the rest today.

Excellent - thank you for the response Tom!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
Mine will be the first on eBay. Why even read the damn things when I can come on here and see it all for free. Amazing. I'm never playing overseas anyways.

I trust you don't own any books, because after all there are things called libraries! ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
Mine will be the first on eBay. Why even read the damn things when I can come on here and see it all for free. Amazing. I'm never playing overseas anyways.

I trust you don't own any books, because after all there are things called libraries! ;D

I quit buying books after the day I was walking past an ex-librarians house during her estate auction. The bid was at $200 for a lifetime of books from floor to ceiling in many rooms. For the sum of $250 I procured the entire collection. One of the biggest mistakes in my life as they now haunt me to be read, can not be burned and required thousands of dollars in bookcases to be stored. My second biggest mistake was my world class bourbon collection whose saving grace was that it could be drank. I'm done collecting.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »

Matt,

My copy arrived this morning, so expect yours soon.

TK

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »
Got mine a few days ago. Opened up a new bottle of Bushmills and started my fireplace .

Enjoyed it so much. Well presented , the ratings are always controversial but fun. Enjoyed the comments of the " Four Wise Men " .

Worth every penny and the wait.

Well done and much appreciated!!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »
Reading it and loving it.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »
Got mine today, and let me add my compliments to all the rest here - a lovely and engaging book.

I never saw the original CG, and so something struck me that I didn't expect, i.e. how even the sometimes very short descriptions of a course paint a picture in my head and guide me towards those courses I think I'd like to play first/most (setting aside the perennials, the 9s and 10s). So, for example:

Little Aston - a graceful design that is neither over-bunkered nor severe

Huntercombe - It reminds me more of Garden City than an other course we've seen

Woking - It is a course that calls for the soul of an architect to master its difficulties

Gullane - the golf is always worthwhile

Delamere Forest - Fowler's minimalistic, low-key architecture is in keeping with the club's ambience.

After quickly jumping around through all of GB&I, I'm currently enjoying the stroll through England very much. Thanks TD and Ran et al for a fine book.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:49:13 PM by PPallotta »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »

John:

I have expressed the same thought about not wanting to see long photo threads of golf courses that I haven't seen yet.

I discovered that the answer to this problem is simple ... just don't read the relevant thread(s).  I deliberately stayed away from the photo tours of Glens Falls and Teugega and Monroe [if, in fact, there was one for each of them] before going to see them, and I had a great time discovering them for myself.

You could do the same with this thread, and keep your book.

Besides, with the personal inscription, the resale value will be limited.   :D

I would suggest that the personal inscription to John would dramatically increase the value not decrease it...
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »

I quit buying books after the day I was walking past an ex-librarians house during her estate auction. The bid was at $200 for a lifetime of books from floor to ceiling in many rooms. For the sum of $250 I procured the entire collection. One of the biggest mistakes in my life as they now haunt me to be read, can not be burned and required thousands of dollars in bookcases to be stored. My second biggest mistake was my world class bourbon collection whose saving grace was that it could be drank. I'm done collecting.

Do you take outside visitors to help you enjoy both of those collections?  Sit and read a book or two while helping you drink the bourbon collection?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Paul_Turner

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
Tom

Chuffed you got to Leckford and gave it the thumbs up (Whittington and Harborne too) , but what a pity you couldn't find Meyrick Park!  Painswick getting its due too:  I wonder how you would have viewed it in 1982?

Ran must be cringing at the typo in the England intro  :D
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back