News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

OK so I just got the new Confidential Guide...
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
I probably won't get a chance to read it cover to cover for a couple weeks, but here's my first impressions:

1.  It's a beautiful book, the pictures and paper stock are very high quality.
2. I was pleasantly surprised to find a personalized inscription.
3. I love the detailed drawings of certain holes and routings.
4. There's not that much disparity in grades to nitpick.  At first glance it appears that Ran tends to be a bit generous with his numerical rankings, Masa and Darius a bit stingy with Tom somewhere in the middle.  There are several courses where all 4 agree to the letter (apparently Carnoustie's definitely an 8!), and some where there's a difference of up to 3 points. (Excepting the Castle which has already been discussed).
5. The Gourmet's Choice seems more to my liking with a couple real surprises (Painswick?!!)
6. The ranking of all courses in the back is a surprise.
7. Can't wait to dig into the meat of the writing and find the next gem for my next trip.
8. Masa's got some splainin to do about the 3 he gave Lundin.
9. Ran needs to defend the 7 he gave Skibo Castle.
10.  How did Tralee go from a 0-5 to a straight 5?

Just my first impressions.  Let the fur fly...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:22:09 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

scott_wood

Re: OK so I just got the new Confidential Guide...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
Was at the Post Office @9:15....alas, no early Christmas, yet..... :-[

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Got it today. Went through most of it and I agree, not much to argue about. It is very well done. Planning my trip to play the 'outside the rota' courses right now.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
We need to keep a careful balance so as not to dissuade others from buying the books.  I'd like to see most specific commentary kept offline at least until the first run is sold out.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
John,

I agree.  In case anyone needs further guidance, it's inappropriate to post entire lists or a long list of numerical rankings.  Let's keep it to specific courses as a stepping off point for discussion and not veer into reprinting material wholesale.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
It's here and I can't wait to open it later tonight!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
OK since no one else will ask, or perhaps thought to ask, what did the Renaissance Course get from all four?
-

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
Tee hee - attaboy, Ian! If you're a professional and well respected architect in your own right, who better to ask the questions no one else will! But I'm still surprised you beat Mike Young to the punch  :)

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
OK since no one else will ask, or perhaps thought to ask, what did the Renaissance Course get from all four?

That deserves a spoiler alert. How is this any different from giving out the ending to Gone Girl? We should be allowed to enjoy discovering what is in the book on our own time. It's a novel idea.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
Did it come US mail UPS. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
That deserves a spoiler alert. How is this any different from giving out the ending to Gone Girl? We should be allowed to enjoy discovering what is in the book on our own time. It's a novel idea.

The book is excellent but there is no need for any spoilier alerts because it is a very bland book with very little controversial opinion or unexpected outcomes.  

1. British golf courses are universally great but not perfect meaning over half the courses in the book are between a 5 and a 7
2. There are few modern British/Irish courses or disfigured British/Irish courses and these are the courses that will draw zeros or amusing critiques.
3. After 10 years of reading Doak on here, you can get a fair idea about what he is going to like.
4 It is obvious from reading the book that there is no point arguing whether a course is a 6 or a 7, or a 7 or an 8.  It just doesn't matter.  

What matters is that you can get a quick and easy idea about what courses to plan a trip around.  And the book is unbelievably good for this.

Oh, and the Renaissance Club gets a 7 from Doak (same as Kingsbarn) and 6s from the rest, although Doak labours the point that they have not seen the new holes.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:01:12 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
Mine will be the first on eBay. Why even read the damn things when I can come on here and see it all for free. Amazing. I'm never playing overseas anyways.

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
John -- Im very sensitive to copyright infringement, and agree we should proceed with discretion.

But do you think ANYONE in this nuthouse is going to forego buying the book because of what's posted here?
As fantastic as Mucci's insights are, I want a copy for myself.

And if my mailman is reading:  Your Christmas gift is decreasing if my book isn't here tomorrow.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

David_Elvins

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Mine will be the first on eBay. Why even read the damn things when I can come on here and see it all for free. Amazing. I'm never playing overseas anyways.

I think selling or not buying the book would be a wise decision for you.  It is a travel guide intended to help people plan a golf trip.  If you don't intend to travel to Great Britain and Ireland (or have passport restrictions that prohibit such travel) then there is little point to owning the book.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »
John -- Im very sensitive to copyright infringement, and agree we should proceed with discretion.

But do you think ANYONE in this nuthouse is going to forego buying the book because of what's posted here?
As fantastic as Mucci's insights are, I want a copy for myself.

And if my mailman is reading:  Your Christmas gift is decreasing if my book isn't here tomorrow.

Yes. The proof is in the fact that not everyone bought the entire series. What I don't understand is the empowerment some people feel by being the first on social media to spoil the creative accomplishments of others. I think I will sell mine in the unopened package addressed to me. This could be interesting after all.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
I probably won't get a chance to read it cover to cover for a couple weeks, but here's my first impressions:

1.  It's a beautiful book, the pictures and paper stock are very high quality.
2. I was pleasantly surprised to find a personalized inscription.
3. I love the detailed drawings of certain holes and routings.
4. There's not that much disparity in grades to nitpick.  At first glance it appears that Ran tends to be a bit generous with his numerical rankings, Masa and Darius a bit stingy with Tom somewhere in the middle.  There are several courses where all 4 agree to the letter (apparently Carnoustie's definitely an 8!), and some where there's a difference of up to 3 points. (Excepting the Castle which has already been discussed).
5. The Gourmet's Choice seems more to my liking with a couple real surprises (Painswick?!!)
6. The ranking of all courses in the back is a surprise.
7. Can't wait to dig into the meat of the writing and find the next gem for my next trip.
8. Masa's got some splainin to do about the 3 he gave Lundin.
9. Ran needs to defend the 7 he gave Skibo Castle.
10.  How did Tralee go from a 0-5 to a straight 5?

Just my first impressions.  Let the fur fly...

Jud, if you haven't played Painswick your golf architecture education is incomplete.  Seriously!

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
Give it a rest Kavanaugh...please.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

Ciao

What is so wrong with wanting to read a book before it's contents are splayed out on the internet? I know it sounds old fashion and perhaps even honorable, but really, isn't that what we claim golf to be about? A sense of self discovery, a sense of finding our own way, patience, hard work and challenge?  Whatever you guys want, it's all good to me as I am sure I can secure a tidy profit on eBay.

JR Potts

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »

Ciao

Why?  He's right.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »
I received my copy of the book today as well.  I have only skimmed through it, but I want to give many thanks to Tom Doak, et al., for updating this excellent resource. 

Now I just need to convince my wife to take another trip across the Atlantic to actually heed the advice contained within the book!
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »

What is so wrong with wanting to read a book before it's contents are splayed out on the internet? I know it sounds old fashion and perhaps even honorable, but really, isn't that what we claim golf to be about? A sense of self discovery, a sense of finding our own way, patience, hard work and challenge?  Whatever you guys want, it's all good to me as I am sure I can secure a tidy profit on eBay.

John:

I have expressed the same thought about not wanting to see long photo threads of golf courses that I haven't seen yet.

I discovered that the answer to this problem is simple ... just don't read the relevant thread(s).  I deliberately stayed away from the photo tours of Glens Falls and Teugega and Monroe [if, in fact, there was one for each of them] before going to see them, and I had a great time discovering them for myself.

You could do the same with this thread, and keep your book.

Besides, with the personal inscription, the resale value will be limited.   :D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:41 PM »
Tom,
It's even better than I expected.  The new features that you've added make it an even better resource, yet it keeps the character that we're used to from the prior book. 

John K,
Open the book and spend an hour.  If this doesn't get you at least craving a trip to that part of the world, then you're a lost cause.   :D

I hadn't really thought about posting on the book being a spoiler for others, but having spent a bit of time with it I do understand.  Unfortunately, given the amount of time distribution is bound to take (especially overseas), I don't see much way things are staying quiet.  Maybe a SPOILER ALERT type thread that those who prefer to discover on their own can avoid?

And, Tom, feel free to comment on Glens Falls now that you've seen it.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »

John, perhaps you should peruse one of the several thousand other threads here, rather than the one with the information and insight you would like to avoid.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
Tom,

I just finished watching the final episode of Boardwalk Empire, only 24 hrs from first showing. Escaping the spoilers throughout the day was exhausting. I'm just so damn weak but avoiding TV blogs comes easier than avoiding this site. If i do sell the book I will sell it unopened in whatever package it is mailed to me. I'm sure the collector who makes the purchase will understand the collectible value in keeping the book in this condition. Your inscription will remain one of mystery and for the ages, if it was inscribed at all. No one will ever know unless they choose to break the seal.

Of course if people can keep from revealing all the interesting contents of the book I just may feel the need to read it myself.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
I have cracked it open, love the look of it. As understated a title page as any book in the past 75 years, I'd say. And how gracious of Tom to inscribe all those copies!

John, you will want to crack it open. It's one thing to sniff the wine, another to drink it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back