News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Also the 1st at West Cornwall is a great opener. Par 3 aiming straight at the church/graveyard.... :o

John Foley

Sand Hills
NGLA
Pinehurst #2

All have that feeling of greatness to come
Integrity in the moment of choice

DFarron

Shinnecock Hills

Canterbury

Machrihanish

Blackhawk CC (Falls Course)

Dan Herrmann

My most memorable first was at a dog track in Amherst, NY - an NLE called Creekside.  I was 17, and it was the first hole I ever played.   And I played it with my dad.

It was 1977, but I remember it like it was yesterday.   He's gone now, but always with me in spirit

Tim Martin

Shinnecock Hills

Canterbury

Machrihanish

With so many amazing holes at Shinnecock the first seems almost pedestrian in comparison. A fine hole but doesn't stick out as super memorable.

Ryan Coles

Rich

You know the course markedly better than me, what is it about Dornoch's 1st?

In my few visits, I've been eager to get to the 3rd "where the course begins" so to speak.

Would be interested to hear more about your take on the 1st, what am I missing?

Ryan

It's the easiest birdie on the course, but due to the subtleties of the fairway and the green complex it is a very easy bogey, particularly in competiton.  It is an early warning to what lies ahead of you, the main essence of which is "Think, you golfing Moron!"  The green is driveable, even from the tips, but requires a perfectly crafted strong fade to do so.  The closer you get to the green, the more exacting the second shot, particularly since it may be your only chance at a birdie.  You can lay up to 100-120 or so, but your 2nd shot must be hit crisply and accurately to hold the green--hard to do when it is the 2nd swing of the day.  The tee is on grade, overlooked by the clubhouse and the putting green and full of vehicular and human traffic--even more than the 1st at TOC it is an integral part of the town.  Most of all, you are just starting to play one of the finest experiences in the golfing world.

Rich

PS--As to what you are "missing" you might also include the 2nd.  The views start on the 3rd, but 1 and 2 are two of the finest holes of their type in the world.

rfg

Rich

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't suggesting they were bad holes, just not particularly memorable in comparison to some of the other stuff there. I will pay more attention next time round.

I will say that Dornoch is my favourite course, but I've never been in love with 'Foxy' either.

KBanks

Mid Ocean, Cuscowilla, and Peachtree have great openers.

Ken

Nick Church

The first at TOC and the first at Tobacco Road are the first that come to mind for me.

BCrosby

Good picks. Shorter than 350 yards, the first at P'tree might be the best hole on the course. The first at Cusco is a textbook example of classic strategic design. I've always loved it. The first at Mid-O, after the removal of scrub and dozens of trees, is much improved. Into the prevailing wind it is a monster. With the bonus that from the green you get stunning views of coral cliffs and crashing surf.

Bob   

Pete Blaisdell

Oak Hill East

Aronimink

Myopia Hunt

Winchester CC

San Francisco GC
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

BCrosby

The first at Myopia Hunt is an interesting choice. I know many people who think it is the worst hole on the course. The usual criticism is that the hole feels like (and is in fact) an after-thought. The original first hole at MHC is now the 2nd.

But for all that the hole really is an interesting one. For longer players driving the green is an option. Miss on the wrong side and you are dead. Even if you lay-up, you can get badly out of position. All intriguing choices from the tee.

Bob   

Pete Blaisdell

Bob,
  Hope you are doing well.

I picked the 1st at Myopia because I remember thinking the first time I played it that I was about to time travel to a differant era in golf and I was a bit nervous . I hit a solid tee shot, got lucky with a pitch and finished 5 feet right of the hole and proceeded to three -jack it. Welcome to Myopia. One of the Top Ten on my list that I have played. Everyone should have the privilege of playing it once. It it that good. I know that you would agree.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Gene Greco

Shinnecock Hills

Canterbury

Machrihanish

With so many amazing holes at Shinnecock the first seems almost pedestrian in comparison. A fine hole but doesn't stick out as super memorable.

Tim

I think the first at Shinnecock is one of the finest introductions to a golf course.

The hole usually plays with a  wind  out of the southwest. Take an aggressive line towards the right and miss it just a bit and the wind will be sure to push your ball  in the junk or in one of the bunkers along the inside of the bend.
Take a more conservative line and you have to deal with the left fronting bunker on your approach. Get too aggressive and bounce over the green you are REALLY screwed.
Combining the firmness of the greens with the new extension of the green towards the back left and a wind from your left, a pin in the back left is extremely  difficult to get the ball close.

This hole defines Shinnecock.

Subtle genius.

As far as memorability, standing on the tee brings most of the golf course in view.

A stunning vista with Thom's Elbow, the 9th green and the 13th tee up on a distant hill towards your right, the Ngla windmill due north while you're standing next to the oldest clubhouse in America, surely an iconic and majestic structure. During prime season those having lunch on the veranda watch your tee ball adding much excitement to the whole experience.

After you tee off and walk down the hill to begin your Shinnecock  experience stop for a moment and look back up at the clubhouse from the middle of the fairway.

Takes my breath away.

Gene

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ronald Montesano

My most memorable first was at a dog track in Amherst, NY - an NLE called Creekside.  I was 17, and it was the first hole I ever played.   And I played it with my dad.

It was 1977, but I remember it like it was yesterday.   He's gone now, but always with me in spirit

Gone, too, is Creekside.  The land still glows at night, though.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

I give credit to those that nominate a par three. It must be special to capture your affection in such a short yardage. Likewise, those who nominate a par five are suggesting that each of the 2/3 shots toward the putting surface inherently carries challenge and/or memorability.

It must be interesting to have a magical first hole. In my mind, the getaway to a journey is filled with hope of what lies ahead, but is not necessarily the hope itself. The first lines of novels, while memorable, should rarely be the best. Same goes for song verses. Sometimes they happen, others they don't.

I like movement in a first hole. If a hole can combine both down and up, it resonates with me. For that reason, the openers at Whitinsville, Yale, the National Golf Links of America, Ballyhack, Eastward Ho! and others I'm forgetting take away my breath.

I don't mind a level hole. The first at Dunes (Michigan), Merion East, Fenway

So here's my nomination, yet to be mentioned herein. You traverse a bridge on foot to a tee tucked against a lake. Sure you have to carry a bit of water on the tee ball, but it's the elevated, sloped fairway that catches your eye. There is rough left and a stand of trees right (and both are hillsides!) and a saddle in the middle. Beyond the saddle, who knows!

As you ascend the slope, the fairway dives to the right and frets over a few hummocks on the way to the putting surface. If you've found the fairway, you're tempted to take a run at the green in two, for an opening eagle. There is a fair amount of trouble along the way, in the guise of sand, rough and uneven lies. You are in the Adirondack mountains and surrounded by trees, but they don't intrude.

The putting surface is sloped and quick, so if you're unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the time, you have your work cut out for you. If the first were any better, it would take away from the 2nd, which truly takes your breath away. For competition's sake, if par is a matter, it can play as a short 5 for those excluded from the legion of super heroes, and a longish 4 for the bashers.

It is the ideal opening scene for...

Glens Falls Country Club.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:11:10 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Greg Taylor

Prestwick, Hoylake (original sequence), not Cypress Point (!) but above all else is The Old Course.

BCowan

Inverness, Grosse Ile, and Mid Pines

Philip Caccamise

Where was that course?

Ronald Montesano

Where was that course?

During its final days, its name was changed to Everglow, ooops, Evergreen. It was poorly built over a dump.

http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/newyork/amherst/evergreen-golf-club.html
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

BShannon

Pasatiempo - on a clear day when you can see the pier.
Riviera - any day. The history of the place and being announced by the starter while the staff claps.

Bill_McBride

Good picks. Shorter than 350 yards, the first at P'tree might be the best hole on the course. The first at Cusco is a textbook example of classic strategic design. I've always loved it. The first at Mid-O, after the removal of scrub and dozens of trees, is much improved. Into the prevailing wind it is a monster. With the bonus that from the green you get stunning views of coral cliffs and crashing surf.

Bob   

The one time I played Mid Ocean the first really was a monster!   My pal and I and a double caddy.  Hit our tee balls and headed down the fairway.  As we reached the balls a fierce squall blew in and through.  The three of us huddled together in misery and suddenly the sun came out and off we went, on the Mid Ocean magical tour!

astavrides

Pittsburgh Field Club, Cherry Hills, Spyglass, TOC, Old White, apache stronghold,

AJ_Foote

I first played this hole aged 13 - over 30 years ago - and it's still one of the most memorable openers I've seen anywhere.

Victor Harbor Golf Club, about an hour south of Adelaide in South Australia.

The tee sits next to the clubhouse, over 100 feet above the fairway below, and it's an exhilarating shot where you're well above the height of the huge gums that line both sides of the fairway. Beautiful views of Encounter Bay in the distance.

Nothing too complicated about how the hole plays - 440 yards, fairway bunker left, greenside bunker right.

A decent hit over the road that runs through the fairway gets some help from a downslope and leaves a mid-short iron to the green.

Wonderful stuff.

Andrew

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:30:29 AM by AJ_Foote »

Adam Lawrence

I first played this hole aged 13 - over 30 years ago - and it's still one of the most memorable openers I've seen anywhere.

The tee sits next to the clubhouse, over 100 feet above the fairway below, and it's an exhilarating shot where you're well above the height of the huge gums that line both sides of the fairway. Beautiful views of Encounter Bay in the distance.

Nothing too complicated about how the hole plays - 440 yards, fairway bunker left, greenside bunker right.

A decent hit over the road that runs through the fairway gets some help from a downslope and leaves a mid-short iron to the green.

Wonderful stuff.

Andrew

How on earth did the greenkeeper come to the conclusion that the striping was a good idea? Talk about ruining the view!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

AJ_Foote

Wonderful stuff.

Andrew

How on earth did the greenkeeper come to the conclusion that the striping was a good idea? Talk about ruining the view!

Fair point, Adam. This better?

Andrew

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back