News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Some terrific suggestions so far.

Like Ryan the 1st at Brora came to my mind, as did the 1st at Portstewart and the 1st at Royal Aberdeen. Also the 1st at Cruit Island.

The 1st at TOC is though a 'bit special'.

Nevertheless, my best and most memorable is the 1st at Royal Jersey. 480 par-5.

Beach immediately on the right with France just on the horizon.

Play your opening shot of the day directly over the 18th green while aiming to keep your ball between this fortified mini-castle and two WWII gun emplacements located just above the beach-

and all the while Mont Orgueil Castle - which makes a few other golf course castles look tame and should be visited in it's own right as it's wonderful - looks down upon you.

This Bing satmap shows it all - zoom in/out for more - http://binged.it/ZTrGup

Once played, never forgotten.

atb

Phil McDade

Obviously, many will think of the 1st at Machrihanish, but after the tee shot, is the hole great?  

No -- it's not. Thrilling drive, for sure, but the rest of the hole is lacking.

Besides, how can a 1st hole be the best in the game if it's only the 7th best hole on the front nine of its own course?

Tim_Weiman

TOC pretty tough to beat. Crystal Downs and Spyglass also standout for me.
Tim Weiman

MClutterbuck

The first at Kapalua Plantation is quite striking. As memorable, not the best, but the 1st at Stanford Golf Club is memorable, it is not every day you get to drive over a 4 lane road.

JWL

Castle Pines and Hokulia

Alex Miller

The 1st at TOC wins for being the most iconic but in terms of greatness, I would say the 1st at NGLA is the best I have played.

Correct.

I mean... I agree.  :D

Carson Pilcher

The architecture of the first at TOC--a tee shot so wide that it gets into your head that it can't possibly be missed.  A precise layup to leave a yardage to attack a firm green fronted by a burn that makes front pin positions difficult to get to and makes it more difficult to hit a lower flighted shot if the wind is up.  That's pretty tough even without the anticipation and the history  

The history is something you think about on the 1st at TOC.  However, it is so wide, and you are thinking, "anywhere but right".  I hooked one so bad one day that it ran and ran and almost went out of bounds on the left side by The Links Road.  It is pretty funny how hard it can be to hit a 100 yard wide fairway.

Jay Mickle

I only wish that I had played all of the courses mentioned, but for me the 1st at Tobacco Road is the most memorable and the one with the highest pucker factor.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Dave McCollum

From the title I first thought of TOC with the history and all the gawkers.  Then I thought of Aberdeen for personal reasons.  I got there early to look at the clubhouse memorabilia and have a bit of lunch.  Just as I was finishing lunch the men’s grill room was filling up.  For those who haven’t played there, the first tee sits directly outside the big floor the ceiling windows of the grill room, so it’s more like a stage for the amusement of the diners.  The only thing missing is the footlights.  When I checked in, about a half hour before my scheduled tee time, the starter asked if I was ready to go then and get out ahead of lunch crowd.  Sure, I’m ready.  My first tee shot in Scotland, no warm up or stretching, my first experience of an old links, playing alone just to see the course.  That day the clubhouse protected the elevated tee from the 35 mph helping breeze.  I guess the adrenalin and the excitement, combined with the knowledge I had a full lunch crowd watching, stimulated my fear-of-failure instincts and I hit one the longest and best drives ever clearing the fairway bunkers and leaving only a lob wedge to the green which, of course, I dumped in a greenside bunker.   Very memorable.  

John Connolly

Chuckle.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Rob Marshall

The first at Spyglass is special.  Others I like:  Kingsley, Eastward Ho!, Sage Valley, Cliffs at Glassy.

You beat me too it. Standing on the first tee of the down hill first at Spyglass with the mountains, ocean, and tees is simply amazing. I've yet to see a better view on the first hole anywhere.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Niall C

For the thrill, shear anticipation and quality of golf, it has to be the first at Forfar.

Niall

Mark Pavy

1st at Ballybunion Old: literally, dead right!!

Jim Tang

There is no other shot in golf quite like the first at TOC.  I waited 41 years to hit that shot.

Steve_ Shaffer

Since I have not experienced TOC, I'll choose Merion's 1st adjacent to the outdoor dining area:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:10:00 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Chaplin

Spectators and setting make the opening shot a little special, TOC and Merion are hard to beat in that respect.
Cave Nil Vino

Terry Lavin

My top 3 have already been cited: Sand Hills, Cypress Point and Spyglass Hill.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rick Shefchik

Streamsong Blue #1 gets the round off to a very memorable start. Climbing (or riding) up to the top of that sand heap might seem a bit artificial, but the payoff is worth it.

It's not TOC, however, which can't be equaled.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Paul Gray

But to be contrarian--how about the first hole at Royal Lytham?  Not too many places start out with a tough par 3
Which is one reason the 1st on the Blue Course at The Berkshire is so memorable.

Hayling. Sorry. Shameless, biased promotion of another opening par 3. I'd actually suggest the par 3 opener down the round at Liphook is better.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ian Andrew

The best - for me - is not the opener of the Old Course.
It is the most memorable.

My choice for "the best" first hole is Crystal Downs, setting, architecture, it has it all.
-

Mike_Trenham

Also in the mix should be...

Plainfield -  Typical Ross tee to green and one of his best greens.
Colorado Golf Club - Nice start without a level lie for full blast shots
Pine Valley (why this green is not replicated more is beyond me)
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mark Bourgeois

I'm not surprised to see so many mentions of TOC, not because it's any good -- almost no one is able to judge for themselves these days: the hole is so overexposed it has become impossible to see. Instead of seeing the hole, confronting it, you just confirm the image placed in your mind by others. You are there just to confirm or to reinforce what you've seen before you stepped foot on it, what you already know.

It has become impossible to see the hole.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Gene Greco

Standing on the first at The Old Course sure stirs the soul..

So does the first at Sand Hills which is no doubt breathtaking. I consider it to be the greatest introduction to a golf course on earth.

Ngla's has qualities of each of the above and is simply magnificent.

Merion and Machrihanish over the years have been selected in print material as the two best.

The most underrated is at Shinnecock Hills, one which includes many of the characteristics of all of the courses I've listed.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

William_G

TOC, Doonbeg, Riviera, CPC, the old championship tee at Pasatiempo
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:59:04 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Essig

Playing the first hole of Pacific Dunes has stirred my soul more than any other opening hole. Pure bliss.

Standing on top of the knoll in the first fairway of Chambers Bay with the vista behind is #2.

Lundin Links takes #3, followed by the Jubilee course at #4, and Elie #5.

The town of St. Andrews always had my soul stirring, and the anticipation of playing the Old Course made me pacing back and forth impatiently the entire time I was standing by the practice green, but the first hole is plain, not very exciting, and left we craving the remaining 17 holes more. Bliss was found waiting by the first green/on the second tee taking it all in.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back