News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

TPC Sawgrass
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »
Played it for the first time in October.  Great shape.  Found it to be very tough for a low-handicap, to the point of wondering how all of the exacting shots it requires are perceived by this group.  Almost every hole requires exacting shots from the tee and into the green.  It's relentless.  It's true that it favors no particular type of golfer. 

noonan

Re: TPC Sawgrass
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:02 PM »
When I played it I found it to be penal. You hear golfers say it was not hard. I wonder if they played the same course I played.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:46 AM »
What tees did you play from and how windy was it James?  

I think we played it from 6500 yards or so on a relatively calm day.  In those conditions it was very playable.  You play short irons on ten holes (1, 2, 4, 6, and 9 on the front.  10, 11, 12, 16, and 17 on the back).  The fairways widths varied considerably with some being very tight (such as on 4 and 18) but many being quite wide (5, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15).  I did not think the water came into play much.  It really only threatens on holes 4, 11 (if aggressive on the 2nd), 16, 17 and 18.  It exists on other holes but is easily avoided absent aggressive play or very wayward shots.  The greens were not overly fast on the day I played but they rolled true without outlandish slopes.

I do remember the rough being very penal and I imagine the course can be a handful in adverse weather, when the greens are firm and fast for tournaments or when one is struggling to handle the length.  But from a comfortable distance I believe it is a very playable course.

For most of us I agree that the course does not seem to favor one type of player.  I do think that for the professionals, long hitters are forced to give up some of their advantage and play for position.  In that sense, I would say the course favors the short accurate professional.  At lower levels, however, a long hitter can reach the par fives and more easily handle the longer par fours.

The course looks too artificial to be my favorite type of design but from a pure playing perspective, I think it is pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:35:20 AM by Jason Topp »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of TPC as I found it incredibly penal though I think a lot of it had to do with the conditions I played in (mid March, maybe 50 degrees with gusts around 30 mph and 2 weeks before the Players).  The driving corridors seemed way too narrow given the windy conditions and the rough was so thick in preparation for the tournament that my foursome lost several balls just a foot or two off the fairway.  Perhaps I'll have to give it another go at some point but that was clearly my first reaction to the golf course

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:03 AM »
With no rough and from the middle tees, its more than playable. From the tips and with the rough - you bet!

In any case, I am not a huge fan of this type of courses.

William_G

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
Love Sawgrass!!
It's all about the golf!

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
Golf Channel just focused on the removal of the tree that used to overhang the 6th tee. Seems ridiculous for any tree to be overhanging a tee box.

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
Golf Channel just focused on the removal of the tree that used to overhang the 6th tee. Seems ridiculous for any tree to be overhanging a tee box.

Here it is.  On the day I played I saw that and was very confused.  Despite its "unfairness" the shot is fun to hit,

William_G

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
visual intimidation, yet out of play for the proper shot, classic!
It's all about the golf!

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »
So this tree is/was okay, yet almost any other tree lining a hole is not? If that's the case, then I'm thoroughly confused!

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
I concur 100% with everything Gray has written on this thread.

Sawgrass is great!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

William_G

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
I concur 100% with everything Gray has written on this thread.

Sawgrass is great!

thank you for the suck up :)

FWIW, I have always walked with a caddie while playing Sawgrass, the only way to go!
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back