News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Streamsong is
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
in great condition.

The fairways are firm, fast and relatively tight and the greens are fast, firm and true.

Rounds are at 4 hours.

I played the Red and Blue with some fellows who had never been to Streamsong and they absolutely loved it.
They all indicated that they would return, which is probably the highest praise one could give.

We also met a foursome from Philadelphia who were playing Streamsong for the first time.
All of them loved both courses, although, they moved up on the back nine of the Red, which is very challenging.
They also indicated that they'd be coming back.

Even though the courses are on the same basic site, they have a different feel.

On Friday they had 270 rounds, Saturday, 300 rounds

The fellows from Philly were so enamored with the courses that they wanted to come back and play them on Saturday, but, they couldn't get a tee time as Streamsong was booked.

And, the rooms in the hotel were terrific, making a stay and play package very attractive.

I can't wait to go back.

Has anyone else played it recently and been impressed by the conditions ?

P.S.  I know.  35K

James Brown

Re: Streamsong is
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
Played in March.  First time.   Red course.  Amazing shape and a great layout.  As good as it gets in Florida.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »
Now that I live only about two hours from Streamsong, I find myself itching more and more to go.

Which course did the group you were with prefer?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

K Rafkin

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:41:18 PM »
Streamsong is.....the best golf in Florida

Being that im from South FLorida, and have spent over half my life in Florida I can confidently say that i hate Florida golf more then anyone here or anywhere for that matter.  Now that its been established that i hate FL golf, we can establish that i love Streamsong.  How can i hate golf in FL when streamsong is in FL?  Easy.  Streamsong isn't in FL its in Narnia! 

Im going back to Fl for thanksgiving and you can bet ill make the 3hr trek to get back to these courses. Hell id drive 1.5 hours just to be on a course that doesnt have water on every hole, and isnt littered with houses.  3hrs to streamsong is a no brainer.

Im not quite sure how they are doing, but id be real excited to hear that they are going though with the 3rd course.  In order to be one of those top notch pure golf resorts you really need more than 36 holes.  With a third course this place really could be a destination.  The ultimate upside is that the prime season here is in the winter while Bandon is cold and windy, Wisconsin has shut down, Canada has shut down, and just about every other ultimate stop is a coin flip.  Sure Cabot may become the "bandon of the east", but lets at least let streamsong become the "Bandon of the South".

Russell Lo

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:11:02 AM »
Played the Red last month with Pete B, yeah, the hot dog guy and loved it. Actually reminded me of the Irish course ar Whistling Straits. Only had time to hit the first 6 on the Blue, and think I might have enjoyed that a slight bit more.

Loved Pat's Ace hole, Blue 5 as Pete and I figured out how to get a putt from the middle of the green to the back right position in the bowl. Putt it off the bank on the front right bunker. Very fun once you figure it out.

Really liked the Biarritz 16 on the Red.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
Great way to use to 35k post...

Streamsong is a great spot, the best golf experience in Florida, in my opinion.  If they build another course or two, it could rival as the best resort in the country.  I never would've expected anything in Florida to look like what I experience at Streamsong

Kevin_D

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
Streamsong is fantastic. Great to hear the courses are in great shape - and even better to hear that rounds are 4 hours. Hopefully this holds into peak season.

I agree that the hotel and other on-site amentities (restaurants, etc) are also very good.

The biggest complaint I've heard about the place is that it "isn't Bandon" - which is kind of like complaining that a girl you met isn't Giselle Bundchen.

I'm looking forward to my 3rd trip there in March.

PS - Russell, #16 on Red might be my favorite Biarritz

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable imitation of links set up for those without passports  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Sounds like a reasonable imitation of links set up for those without passports  ;)

I think you would like it a lot.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »

I think you would like it a lot.

Agreed, Streamsong is much more than that

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
Played the Red last month with Pete B, yeah, the hot dog guy and loved it. Actually reminded me of the Irish course ar Whistling Straits. Only had time to hit the first 6 on the Blue, and think I might have enjoyed that a slight bit more.

Loved Pat's Ace hole, Blue 5 as Pete and I figured out how to get a putt from the middle of the green to the back right position in the bowl. Putt it off the bank on the front right bunker. Very fun once you figure it out.

Really liked the Biarritz 16 on the Red.

Ditto on the Whistling Straits feel. I was hard to think that I was actually playing a Florida course.

My only complaint when I played the Red in March was the turf in the fairways was patchy. It almost looked like they had recently thatched or aerated.

Other than that I loved it. Wish I could have stayed in the lodge.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
Good to hear. I'm playing the blue on 11/6.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
...really good and really expensive....

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »
Jr, what really good destination golf resort isn't "expensive"?  I can't tell you how many rounds I have over paid for at average resorts while attending a meeting and felt the need to play because like everyone on this site - we're golf nuts. ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
Bill I'm sure I would, I'm in the unfortunate position of having more venues to visit than time or money. In the last 18 months I've turned down games at some serious bucket list courses, two weeks ago I couldn't change an American Airlines flight to get a game at my favourite Long Island course.

Must get to Ireland one day, I've still only played Portmanock and Royal Dublin on a stag weekend.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
If we had but world enough and time. Oh, and money. Money enough too.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »

Now that I live only about two hours from Streamsong, I find myself itching more and more to go.

Tim,

Opinions differed.

Some, like myself prefered the Blue, others the Red.

What was interesting were the reasons why some liked the blue and others liked the Red

Some felt that the Blue's greens were too challenging, others felt that the back nine on the Red was too long and too difficult.

What made playing more enjoyable, yet more challenging, was the breeze, a good wind that seemed to be constantly in our face.

J.R.

Golf is not a cheap game and resort courses aren't setting bargain basement prices.
With 270 rounds on Friday and 300 on Saturday, it seems that it's reasonably priced and that the "build it and they will come" theory is working.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:30:43 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »
... the best public golf option on the east coast.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

JR Potts

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »

Tim,

Opinions differed.

Some, like myself prefered the Blue, others the Red.

What was interesting were the reasons why some liked the blue and others liked the Red

Some felt that the Blue's greens were too challenging, others felt that the back nine on the Red was too long and too difficult.

What made playing more enjoyable, yet more challenging, was the breeze, a good wind that seemed to be constantly in our face.

J.R.

Golf is not a cheap game and resort courses aren't setting bargain basement prices.
With 270 rounds on Friday and 300 on Saturday, it seems that it's reasonably priced and that the "build it and they will come" theory is working.

While I certainly hope and wish for the best, I think it's yet to be seen whether or not it's working...for the long term. 

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
Only thing that I have to add is that it take a lot for a person who grew up playing links golf in Ireland to want to play a course in Florida.... but I had a great time there last March & expect to go there again in the not-too-distant future.

Patrick

Kevin_D

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
JR - do you have any reason to believe that it isn't working (whatever that means)?

Everyone I know that has been to Streamsong has loved it

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »
Doesn't 150 rounds on a public course make for a zoo? What does Pebble Beach average?
Cave Nil Vino

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
Can't speak for Pebble, but foursomes teeing off every ten minutes for six hours gets you up to almost 150 rounds (144.)

That's a fairly steady pace for the starter but a pretty wide open course overall. Nothing close to a zoo I wouldn't think.

300 rounds- especially at this point in the year with limited daylight- sounds like a lot of rounds for a course that charges what Streamsong does. But I'm not sure what the norm is or should be at Streamsong (or anywhere else for that matter.)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
JR - do you have any reason to believe that it isn't working (whatever that means)?

Everyone I know that has been to Streamsong has loved it

Probably not  in July or August.   By contrast Pebble and Bandon are 12 months, although Bandon can be dodgy. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »
Jon,

We played at a nice pace, in about 4:00, we waited a few times as the fellows in front of us had their struggles.

While Pebble Beach is great, the pace of play declines rapidly from the initial 4:00 hours.

With two courses 300 rounds isn't a big deal.
And at no time did we ever feel that the course was crowded or slow.

Remember, Streamsong is about as far west as Detroit and is in the Eastern time zone, so it gets dark later in the day.

JR,

If they're going to build another course, that would seem to indicate that the long term prospects look pretty good, wouldn't you say ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back