News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Flossmoor, yes. Warren no.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill Seitz

Could possibly do the16th, but now out for the 8th and 9th. Forgot that I'll be in New Orleans next weekend.

John Connolly

Count me in for Flossmoor if there's room.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

John McCarthy

8/8 is fine.  Looks like consensus is Flossmoor, so count me in. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Ian Mackenzie

Flossmoor, yes. Warren no.

+1
I'm in for Flossmoor provided that weather is over 40 degrees. That's my cut off point....;-)

Mike Treitler

I am going to have to miss this one. Sorry guys.    I hope to be able to make the next one!

Dan Moore

I will check in with the pro tomorrow to confirm details.  Absent Club related complications and taking into account the projected temps let's shoot for balls in the air at 10:00 am.  Green fee will be $75 to carry. Caddies may be available, if you want one let me know so I can give the  caddie master a heads up.  I'll get us set up with lockers.  Fellow GCAer and Flossmoor member Brendan Shannon will be helping me host.  

Here's who I have confirmed so far.

Dan Moore
Brendan Shannon
John McCarthy
John Connolly
Terry Lavin
John Heise

Fence Sitters

Josh Tarble
Jud Tigerman

Updated list reflects Ian's withdrawal to play in a home club event and two who fell off the fence.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:16:52 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jon Heise

Sounds great, I'll keep my eyes on this thread as we get closer.  Looking forward to it!

Jon
I still like Greywalls better.

Howard Riefs

Re: 5th Annual Chicago-area Fall Outing -- Nov. 8 at Flossmoor
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
The first post is updated with the logistics.

Many thanks to Dan Moore and Brendan Shannon for hosting.

For those of you who have yet to play Flossmoor, you're in for a treat.  Be sure to read the "In My Opinion" piece on the club and course written by Greg Ohlendorf and Dan:

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/flossmoor-country-club/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:47:47 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Smolens

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Unfortunately out. Duties in Evanston watching bad football prevail. Have fun guys...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Unfortunately out. Duties in Evanston watching bad football prevail. Have fun guys...

Talk about tough decisions!  Forced to decide between playing golf in November with a projected high temperature of 43 degrees (which will last for a half-hour) and watching a completely pathetic, purple-clad loser football team get beaten again, the patient chooses...FOOTBALL!

It's a bit of a Hobson's Choice, to be sure, but you, my good friend, are a masochist.  I was with Teddy Greenstein this past Thursday and he told me he was going with Northwestern to pull out an upset win.  I laughed heartily when he made the prediction and even harder when I checked in to watch Iowa go up 48-7.

Now, if you told me Northwestern was playing Illinois this Saturday, I could understand you wanting to watch your team beat mine, because we are slightly worse than your weakling squad.   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:23:39 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Smolens

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
What can I say? There is nothing in your post that I can argue with. My infatuation with the silly game that is the subject of this DG is exceeded only by my love for all things purplicious. Strikes me as somewhat more deeply troubling than mere masochism, but I'm a lawyer not a shrink. My 39th year of attending Northwestern football games -- the mind boggles at just how much bad football I have witnessed over the years. . . but wait until next year, when Justin Jackson is a year older!!!

However, 43 is fine for golf so long as they're allowing carts on the course -- my cart cover is available for rent on Saturday for any participants at Flossmoor, but my heater will be in use at the tailgate prior to the game.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
Dan,  unfortunately I am out. I have to work all day. I wish you guys the best. Flossmoor is fantastic.
Down with the brown

Josh Tarble

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
Sad to say I will not be able to make it.  Thanks to Howard for getting the ball rolling and thanks to Dan for hosting.  Have a great time everyone...Stay warm!

Dan Moore

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »
I have to say Saturday's forecast does not sound very inviting for golf.

"Saturday A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 42."

I am available to host  the following weekend if we wanted to take a chance on more seasonable temps. Who could make it then instead? 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Terry Lavin

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »

I am available to host  the following weekend if we wanted to take a chance on more seasonable temps. Who could make it then instead?  

Saturday is rather uninviting. Tomorrow, on the other hand...

Too bad work gets in the way.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:49:17 AM by Terry Lavin »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
Unfortunately I have a sisters birthday party at bouncy houses Saturday.  That's what happens when after being an only child for more than three decades your old man decides to enter round two and then at 40 you find yourself the oldest of 4. 

Too bad, haven't played Flossmoor since a CDGA Jr Am, or something similar in the early 90's. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »

I am available to host  the following weekend if we wanted to take a chance on more seasonable temps. Who could make it then instead? 
Dan,   If the weather is decent I would consider the 15th or the 16th.    Thanks for hosting,  jack

Dan Moore

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »

I am available to host  the following weekend if we wanted to take a chance on more seasonable temps. Who could make it then instead?  

Saturday is rather uninviting. Tomorrow, on the other hand...

Too bad work gets in the way.

In fact I plan to play at Flossmoor tomorrow around 10 if anyone cares to join me.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »
I have the chiropractor at 8 a.m. but I may be able to join you tomorrow by ten. Let me see if I can get some things done today and clear the skids for tomorrow...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »
Let's move this movable golf feast to 11-15 and hope for better weather.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
Let's move this movable golf feast to 11-15 and hope for better weather.

+1, I agree with Terry

Dan Moore

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Ok. We've lost John Connolly as well to an event at his home club this weekend so let's do that and hope the arctic front that descends middle of week will be gone by the weekend.  I'm available both weekend days the 15th and 16th. 

Howard Riefs

I can make the 15th or 16th. 

Who's bringing the flask?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve Salmen

I can play 11/16. Hopefully this works for the majority of the group. I can bring a flask. Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back