News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Who is up for the traditional Chicago GCA Fall outing ... albeit on a date later than typical?

This would mark the 5th annual, with previous gatherings at:  

2013: Kankakee Elks, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56951.0.html
2012: Spring Valley,  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53712.0.html
2011: Shepard's Crook, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49789.0.html
2010: Highlands of Elgin, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46100.0.html

The date is up in the air as is the course.

Date options: Nov. 8, 9, 15, 16
Course options: Any of the above plus Ravisloe, Pine Meadow and any other suggestions.

It will probably come down to who can accommodate a similar sized group with advanced notice.

If you're interested in participating, please reply to the thread or send me a PM or email. Include your preference for the date(s) and course. I'm out of town the weekend of the 8th but can still help coordinate if those dates work for most.

UPDATED

It seems that the 8th works for the vast majority of people.  Here are a couple options:

1:  Flossmoor CC
Saturday the 8th, morning
Hosted by Dan Moore (thanks very much for offering)

2:   Notre Dame, Warren Course
Saturday the 8th
Tee times at 9:30 and 9:40 a.m.

As a next step,
1.  What is your preference for option 1 or option 2
2.  Would you participate if we go with option 1?
3.  Would you participate if we go with option 2?

UPDATED:

I will check in with the pro tomorrow to confirm details.  Absent Club related complications and taking into account the projected temps let's shoot for balls in the air at 10:00 am.  Green fee will be $75 to carry. Caddies may be available, if you want one let me know so I can give the  caddie master a heads up.  I'll get us set up with lockers.  Fellow GCAer and Flossmoor member Brendan Shannon will be helping me host.  

Here's who I have confirmed so far.

Dan Moore
Brendan Shannon
Ian Mackenzie
John McCarthy
John Connolly
Terry Lavin
John Heise

Fence Sitters

Josh Tarble
Mark Smolens
Brian Hilko
Jud Tigerman

UPDATE

The 8th is off due to expected bad weather. We're now looking at Nov. 15 or 16th instead...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:45:04 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John McCarthy

Re: 5th Annual Chicago-area Fall Outing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »
I am checking, put me down for a maybe.  I will go to any of your suggestions.

On edit:  I got a station wagon, and if the Domers are out of town, nicking over to The Warren Course would be fun.  I just love that course.  I got 8/9 open all day.  

I just checked, the nd squad is out of town.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:51:16 PM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Josh Tarble

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
I know it's not the Chicago/Indiana outing but I would be interested in joining depending on where it is.

Edit: Would definitely be interesting in joining at The Warren Course.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
Wonder if the "new" Wilmette Golf Club could accommodate a couple of groups early on the 8th, followed by a tailgate in the West Lot at Ryan Field and a 2;30 kick between two less than mediocre big 10 teams??

Brian Hilko

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:19 AM »
I might be in if i can get out of work. Ravi or warren would be fun.
Down with the brown

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »
8th or 9th are possible.  15th is definitely out (Festival of wood and barrel aged beers), and maybe 16th as well (recovering from said festival).

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
I would be interested on the 15th or 16th but can't do it on the 8th or 9th.  Although with the weather turning now not sure how many more rounds we will get in.  I wouldn't want to be playing this morning.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:23:33 AM by Scott W »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
I could do 15th, but 16th is the Iron Man at Village Links of Glen Ellyn...

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Sounds great, except that your possible choice of golf courses have nothing to do with Chicago...;-)

Elgin? Kankakee? Would take 60-90 minutes to get there from Chicago.
Spring Valley? Isnt that in WI?
Shephard's Crook is in Zion.

I would vote for Ravisloe, but I would imagine that we could get on some private tracks at that time of year. Would offer to host at our course, but we are doing some seriously aggressive maintenance to our greens next week that will muck them up until April.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »
Sounds great, except that your possible choice of golf courses have nothing to do with Chicago...;-)

"Chicago-area" extends to Milwaukee to the North, Davenport to the west and Springfield to the south. It's a very big city. 

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »

"Chicago-area" extends to Milwaukee to the North, Davenport to the west and Springfield to the south. It's a very big city. 

That's pretty funny. Howard.
You know, I bet we could get on Green Acres. Did you know that it is a Tillinghast design? I just found out last week.

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Ian,  Old story; been rehashed here numerous times.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
Howard,

Mst likely I won't be able to make it, but I'll have better idea when you zero in on a date. I don't think either weekend is better than the other for me. I hope the weather holds out for you!

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
I would love to make it, but am probably going to be too busy with work.  Put me down as unlikely and a possible last minute sub....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
I would love to make it, but am probably going to be too busy with work.  Put me down as unlikely and a possible last minute sub....

Save your GCA energy for our annual Erie Cafe dinner. I'm gonna try to get Jim Urbina to come and chat us up re Bob O'Link and Glen View.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JR Potts

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
T

Would love to hear him speak.  Heard Bob O had their meeting this week and the eye-popping renovation number that I dismissed as a nasty rumor is in fact, fact.  Must be some sort of project - certainly one I want to hear more about.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
T

Would love to hear him speak.  Heard Bob O had their meeting this week and the eye-popping renovation number that I dismissed as a nasty rumor is in fact, fact.  Must be some sort of project - certainly one I want to hear more about.

Holy crap. If it's the $ number I heard, then could it really be that high? How much does a new course cost to build? $6 to $8M? Jim Urbina will do an incredible job. Smart move by Bob O Link.

I wonder if they are doing club house work as well...

JR Potts

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Keep going up...way up.

I don't know the full scope - but I presume there's a large water retention component as well as reserves for departing members and a total loss of club revenue (as they only have the one course).  I can't wait to see the plan...as every member I know at bob o, does nothing half-assed...and this plan will likely be no different.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:15:28 PM by JR Potts »

Dan Moore

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 08:14:14 PM »
While I'd love to see the Warren course I can't the 8/9th. If there is interest I could see if we could get 1-2-3 groups on Flossmoor CC the morning of the 8th. Course was playing great as of Tuesday.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Dan Moore

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
Is Jim going to restore the Ross or the Alison course at the Bob?
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
Is Jim going to restore the Ross or the Alison course at the Bob?

He will answer all questions, even the loaded ones. ;)
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Heise

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
Could be in for this.  Will keep tabs as we get closer!  ;D

Flossmoor on Saturday would be great.  Earlier the better.  Any idea on cost?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:08:57 PM by Jon Heise »
I still like Greywalls better.

Howard Riefs

Please see the update in the first post.

Mike Treitler

Id be a maybe for this.. Wouldn't know for a few days but it sounds fun!   

Jud_T

I'd love to see the Warren as I've yet to get out there, but Flossmoor is closer and very good.  Either way don't go by my vote as I'm iffy anyway.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back