News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

J_ Crisham

Re: How Ted Bishop hit the skids
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
Brad,   Nice article- his ego must be a real issue. I believe they call it a narcissistic personality. The PGA of America needs to put this quickly behind them.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »
John Grisham as well: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/16/john-grisham-child-abuse-images-apology

These words, opinions and perspectives that meant nothing profound to us as children, emerge into profound significance when we revert to their usage as adults.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
Indeed - he wrote a stupid thing that reflects a serious lack of respect, and his apology was half-hearted (as if he didn't understand what all the fuss was about).

But if TB is a "narcissist" for using social media to foist his (unnecessary, unhelpful, and unsolicited) opinions onto the world, then sad to say so are you and me, Brad, and just every golf writer out there and most of the posters here on gca.com, and the hundreds of thousands of bloggers and the millions upon millions all across America who are addicted to facebook and twitter (with their posts about what they had for breakfast or about hearing a firetruck going by). If what has been labelled "narcissism" has always been an element of the human personality, never has it been more of a reality or more on display than it is today.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:07:39 AM by PPallotta »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
John Grisham as well: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/16/john-grisham-child-abuse-images-apology

These words, opinions and perspectives that meant nothing profound to us as children, emerge into profound significance when we revert to their usage as adults.

Can you expand on what you're suggesting here?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »

Ron,  I have no doubt john Grisham regrets his comments- has Ted Bishop said that? Let's face it- Bishop has had a history of self inflicted errors. This time it cost him.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
No. It's not the time nor the place, nor my specialty. I see a connection, albeit a distant one, between the two incidents. If others don't, that's fine.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
PP, it's not that he uses social media, cameras and limelights. It's how he uses them and what his agenda appears to be - pointing attention to himself more than to his rank and file.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
You're right, Brad - I focused on another aspect of the word/trait. I guess I missed your main point because, with each passing year and in the places I work/have worked, it seems more and more that TB is not the exception amongst 'leaders' but the norm.

Peter

noonan

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Political correctness has hit a new low. A sincere apology should have put this behind him.

You can have an opinion - as long as everyone agrees with it.

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
Jerry, you're right, but when the tone deafness and self-absorption also animate the apology then you've demonstrated something that's beyond easy redemption and restitution.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »
It's not right to blame one person solely for the Ryder Cup fiasco, but the leading contender if you did would be Bishop and the inferiority complex of the organization he has led.  Those of you who are members of the PGA of America should be ashamed of your organization and should look to change its misguided ways.

noonan

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Jerry, you're right, but when the tone deafness and self-absorption also animate the apology then you've demonstrated something that's beyond easy redemption and restitution.

I agree his apology was not sincere. Bishop thought this was a conversation between he and Poulter.

I am tired of all these people being offended.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
The Board hated this guy and it used the softball the idiot threw to hit him out of the park.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
Indeed - he wrote a stupid thing that reflects a serious lack of respect, and his apology was half-hearted (as if he didn't understand what all the fuss was about).

But if TB is a "narcissist" for using social media to foist his (unnecessary, unhelpful, and unsolicited) opinions onto the world, then sad to say so are you and me, Brad, and just every golf writer out there and most of the posters here on gca.com, and the hundreds of thousands of bloggers and the millions upon millions all across America who are addicted to facebook and twitter (with their posts about what they had for breakfast or about hearing a firetruck going by). If what has been labelled "narcissism" has always been an element of the human personality, never has it been more of a reality or more on display than it is today.

I believe that narcissism personality disorder is a controversial syndrome in psychiatry and behavioral sciences, in that it isn't (I don't think) a fully accepted personality disorder.  Yet, IMHO, it is a syndrome like a virus being spread like wildfire throughout the cyber-world via the environmental carrier and transmission vehicle of Facebook and Twiiter and the like.  Cyber space and its social media constructs are the inevitable and ubiquitous modes of interaction and connection that has made it possible for a new manner of "stream of consciousnes writing" where all of foibles and prejudices and personality flaws become on display instantaneously, and when done incessantly as these social media gizmos allow, make it an inevitability that we will succeed in making asses out of ourselves and will end up contributing a net zero or less to any intellectual advancement of our species.  

I think as Peter observes that this applies to all of us.  Brad Klien's article was illuminating, IMO.

I have been struggling with the conflict of maintaining or killing my Facebook account as I feel the conflict of using it to share what I think may be positive information (announcements and photos, etc.) with the temptation of sliding into the habit of making every mundane activity in my 'so-called life' a cause of self indulgent narcissism.  Stream of conscious commentary on the personal level of mundane and insignificant activities of life from breakfast menu to adorable kitties (guilty as charged) at least when done on an incessant or obsessive basis, seems like an abuse of what could be a good technology, if used in moderation.  

But these fellows like Bishop or Poulter or just about every celebrity or politician that uses it to foist a constant amount of prattle and tripe about themselves thinking it will endear their persona to and upon us seems that it eventually reveals the disorders and deeply flawed individuals we are.... and we can prove it time and time again in 140 characters or less.    :-\ ::)

... and I probably just reinforced the proof and hypocrisy right there.  :-[
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Pat Burke

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
If we're going to basically accept that Ted Bishop was about himself, and not the thousands of
members of the association he was leading,
we are going to have to have a serious look at the PGA and their leadership as they push to add thousands of new members,
paying (what i consider), ridiculous dues and fees (GPTP), while the majority don't make enough
to live near the golf courses they work at, all while the organization rakes in millions.

IF  (and I do mean if) Ted was that way, he may have been the perfect leader for the PGA, they don't care about anybody else either.

Kevin_D

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
I think it's just that he was fired. If I were a little girl, I would be deeply offended at being compared to Ian Poulter.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
I have noticed that club professionals in the Carolinas have started using "PGA" after their names in all correspondence and on business cards, for example: Michael Whitaker, PGA. I know it signifies them as standing members, but when did this practice begin? It seems to me it only became widespread a couple of years ago. Has there been a campaign to use the PGA tag as a sign of professional status such as a PHD or MBA?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
I have noticed that club professionals in the Carolinas have started using "PGA" after their names in all correspondence and on business cards, for example: Michael Whitaker, PGA. I know it signifies them as standing members, but when did this practice begin? It seems to me it only became widespread a couple of years ago. Has there been a campaign to use the PGA tag as a sign of professional status such as a PHD or MBA?

Branding

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
It was a typo, Bishop was tweeting from his phone.  He said Ian Poulter dresses like a little girl.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:46:55 AM by Sam Morrow »

Martin Toal

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
I think it's just that he was fired. If I were a little girl, I would be deeply offended at being compared to Ian Poulter.

I hope Ian gives you a friendly doot on the horn as he drives one of his Ferraris past. I think he is happy being him. He has done well for himself as a player with a good game but a lot of drive. He also appears to have a settled family and no scandal other than his couture. He is not by any means my favourite player, but you have to admire what he has achieved.

I would have thought he would be lauded as an example of the American dream (UK immigrant version).

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

The Board hated this guy and it used the softball the idiot threw to hit him out of the park.

I think it was just this simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:13 AM »
Really can't add anything. Terry said it as simply as it can be said. People at PGA of America that I've talked to since TB took office were pretty adament .

How he moved up through the chairs without raising a red flag is a mystery.

It was just a matter of time. They just waited for a reason and acted on it.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

John Connolly

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »

I believe that narcissism personality disorder is a controversial syndrome in psychiatry and behavioral sciences, in that it isn't (I don't think) a fully accepted personality disorder.  Yet, IMHO, it is a syndrome like a virus being spread like wildfire throughout the cyber-world via the environmental carrier and transmission vehicle of Facebook and Twiiter and the like.  Cyber space and its social media constructs are the inevitable and ubiquitous modes of interaction and connection that has made it possible for a new manner of "stream of consciousnes writing" where all of foibles and prejudices and personality flaws become on display instantaneously, and when done incessantly as these social media gizmos allow, make it an inevitability that we will succeed in making asses out of ourselves and will end up contributing a net zero or less to any intellectual advancement of our species. 

I think as Peter observes that this applies to all of us.  Brad Klien's article was illuminating, IMO.

I have been struggling with the conflict of maintaining or killing my Facebook account as I feel the conflict of using it to share what I think may be positive information (announcements and photos, etc.) with the temptation of sliding into the habit of making every mundane activity in my 'so-called life' a cause of self indulgent narcissism.  Stream of conscious commentary on the personal level of mundane and insignificant activities of life from breakfast menu to adorable kitties (guilty as charged) at least when done on an incessant or obsessive basis, seems like an abuse of what could be a good technology, if used in moderation. 

But these fellows like Bishop or Poulter or just about every celebrity or politician that uses it to foist a constant amount of prattle and tripe about themselves thinking it will endear their persona to and upon us seems that it eventually reveals the disorders and deeply flawed individuals we are.... and we can prove it time and time again in 140 characters or less.    :-\ ::)

... and I probably just reinforced the proof and hypocrisy right there.  :-[

RJ,

It is indeed an accepted personality disorder, as described in Psychiatry's "Diagnostic Manual and Statistical Manual", v.5.

http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/dsm5

Identity: Excessive reference to others for self-definition
and self-esteem regulation; exaggerated self-appraisal
may be inflated or deflated, or vacillate between extremes;
emotional regulation mirrors fluctuations in self-esteem.

Among other things. I don't advise reading the section however. You'll come away feeling like you're a narcissist. I know I did.  ;D

"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
Oh, you Connolly brothers are a stitch!   ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back