News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Baldwin

Next weekend I'm getting a chance to head to the Carmel/Monterey area for the first time.

Going in and out of SFO on a business trip (sponsoring a NorCal PGA Section, Monterey Peninsula Chapter Pro-AM) that includes plenty of golf for me and one of my cohorts here in the office.

Sunday afternoon - Pasatiempo

Monday Morning - Pacific Grove
Monday Afternoon - Bayonet

Tuesday - Poppy Hills (pro am)

Wednesday morning - California Golf Club of San Francisco

Then we head home.  A few meetings in between all the golf, but all in all really excited to have this experience.

With that said are there any Must See places in the Carmel Monterey area (besides the obvious in Pebble, Cypress, 17Mile drive) etc...?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:46:28 PM by Ben Baldwin »

Bill_McBride

Re: Excited for San Fran - Monterey Trip!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
I don't see any room in that schedule for an added round, but personally I'd rather play Pajaro Valley than the Bayonet. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
Ben -

If you enjoy aquariums, the one in Monterey is one of the very best in the world.

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Between Santa Cruz and Monterey stop at Moss Landing for the best Ciopino on the westcoast at Phil's Fish House.
Dinner at sunset at Roy's at Spanish Bay on Pebble Beach 17m drive. They play bagpipes at sunset.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Cowden

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
Definately endorse Pajaro over Bayonet, but please note it may be considered an acquired taste.

Give us a rundown on your return, Ben.  The drought is pervasive, and I'm curious about your impressions as to how it may affect (enhance?) playability. 

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
IIRC, the condition of Pajaro had declined since Mr. Galea's departure.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matthew Essig

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »
Ben -

If you enjoy aquariums, the one in Monterey is one of the very best in the world.

DT

+1 It might be THE best in the world.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »
I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and there was no sign of the draught on the courses I played.
Cave Nil Vino

astavrides

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
Bayonet over Pajaro 17 plays out of 20 for me.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
"If you enjoy aquariums, the one in Monterey is one of the very best in the world."

"+1 It might be THE best in the world."

"I didn't bother when I was there, figured it couldn't be as good as the one in Barcelona - or is it?"

Brian S. -

It is tough enough to rate golf courses. Do you now expect us to rate aquariums too? ;)

DT

DFarron

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
This will be a great trip for you. I love Pacific Grove but the best experience you will have is Cal Club. It plays firm and fast, classic Mac Kenzie bunkers, all walking and no BS. The only negative is that you must wear pants lol!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Bayonet over Pajaro 17 plays out of 20 for me.

Masochistic Tango?

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
Bill M. -

When is the last time you played Bayonet? Have you played it since the major renovation 8-10 years ago?

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
Bill M. -

When is the last time you played Bayonet? Have you played it since the major renovation 8-10 years ago?

DT

40 years.  It made quite an impression on me!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
A friend who played Pasa in the last month, said he did not enjoy it - he described the fairways as dead.
@theflatsticker

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 11:15:35 PM »
A friend who played Pasa in the last month, said he did not enjoy it - he described the fairways as dead.

http://www.pasatiempomaintenance.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-drought-from-above.html

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »

Grass is a hardy organism that is often dormant, but rarely if ever "dead."

The big boys play the Open at St. Andrews (and Hoylake etc.) even when puffs of dust and sand come off their iron shots, rather than divots.

Tell your friend to man up!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
The fairways look pretty brown but I would think they will green up pretty quick with the rainfall and the grass will be stronger for it. As Rihc says grass is often dormant but rarely dead. I am surprised that the proposed answer to water shortages includes extracting even more from the water table with new boreholes but a big thumbs up for the recycling and harvesting route also mentioned.

Jon

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:44 AM »
Ben, I just got back from Monterey a couple weeks back. The weather was fantastic. It rained one day in the morning but was gorgeous in the afternoon after a bit of fog burned off. A couple observations... We played Poppy Hills and the changes they've made their are phenomenal. The money that NCGA has put in has made it a contender with its neighbors again. Tournaments could be coming back. I know you asked for other non 17 mile suggestions, but we also played Monterey Peninsula CC - Shore Course. Simply fantastic ... real estate and views that rival Pebble and Cypress. One of the best walks I've taken all year. Tough to get on but well worth the effort. Our host at MPCC waived us off Pasatiempo and he's played there a ton. He said the conditions are just not acceptable and we took his advice. Lastly played the back nine at Pacific Grove and had some really nice views. Rode the front nine and it's just mediocre at best.

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.

The golf is pretty much set, all playing stops on the trip are business related and include some playing while taking care of some business with each facility.

The frustrating thing about a trip this short into a preverbal "mecca" of sorts is that there is never enough time to play all of the great options the SF Bay and Monterey area present.

I'll make sure and report back after the trip.  Cheers  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:26:37 AM by Ben Baldwin »

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Definately endorse Pajaro over Bayonet, but please note it may be considered an acquired taste.

Give us a rundown on your return, Ben.  The drought is pervasive, and I'm curious about your impressions as to how it may affect (enhance?) playability. 

Just waiting for the plane at SFO, trip was amazing.  When I have more time I'll post a few thoughts and some pictures.

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »

Give us a rundown on your return, Ben.  The drought is pervasive, and I'm curious about your impressions as to how it may affect (enhance?) playability.  

Just waiting for the plane at SFO, trip was amazing.  When I have more time I'll post a few thoughts and some pictures.

Ok, so Sunday afternoon/evening at Pasatiempo was great!  Of the 5 places we played they have been hit hardest by the drought, but the layout and design ARE all they are cracked up to be.  Had to play the last 2 in the dark as we basically ran the back side to try and get it all in before dark after teeing it up just before 3 PM.  I really want to go back and experience the place when it's not had such a lack of rain or even irrigation in the fairways, as well as when I'm able to not feel rushed trying to get done before dark.

The next morning at Pacific Grove was amazing as well, each nine has a distinctly differing feel, and while both very cool and fun in their own way, the closing nine is pretty spectacular right on the water.  This might be the best value facility I've encountered.  Not overly tough and the only real area I felt protected scoring would be the wind and the elements which we didn't have.

We then took 17 mile to see Spanish Bay, Spyglass, Cypress, the lone cypress and then Pebble.  Did a little walking around, and shopping at Pebble, enjoyed that as well.

That afternoon at Bayonet was great.  Difficult course from the back tees for sure.  Greens took some getting used to after putting at Pasatiempo and Pacific Grove in the previous two rounds as those two were much slower, 8-9ish, where Bayonet was close to 12.  The vistas from Bayonet are fantastic.  After the round having a cocktail on the patio and watching the sunset over the peninsula was pretty awesome as well.

Next morning at Poppy was also spectacular, the wind picked up a bit this day, but not to bad.  The new course is amazing.  I'd not played the old rendition but 2 gentleman in my group who live in the area said to the effect.  The way this new track plays it is for sure back in the rotation of courses to play.  Greens were firm and fairly quick and the feel with the wall to wall fairways and tall pines with large sandy native areas made me feel a little like they were trying to meld Augusta, with Pine Valley in the Del Monte Forest.  Is a very stern test, but if you hit it well, you can score.

Final round at The Cal Club was also a fantastic experience.  We took a caddie who helped a ton as nothing is marked and there are some nuances that a first time player wouldn't see or know about.  He saved me and my co worker at least 2 or 3 shots.  The place is immaculate and the bunkers are my favorite I've ever seen.  

Pics....all taken with just an iPhone

Pasatiempo (very dark since we played so late in the day)

Pacific Grove

Bayonet

Poppy

Cal Club

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:44:05 PM by Ben Baldwin »

Ben Baldwin

Re: Excited for San Fran - Monterey Trip! (UPDATED WITH THOUGHTS AND PICS)
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
Those are absolutely gorgeous shots of Cal.

Thanks Brian, lucky we had a good time of day for lighting that even with my substandard skills and just a phone they did turn out pretty good.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
Have you experienced a better place in America than the MP and surrounding areas? I haven't yet - and still haven't even played Pasatiempo, MPCC and Cypress Point.

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »
Have you experienced a better place in America than the MP and surrounding areas? I haven't yet - and still haven't even played Pasatiempo, MPCC and Cypress Point.

I can't say I have.  The other interesting part of this 4 day 5 course trip is people upon my return keep asking me, so what was your favorite.  I honestly can't answer that, each was awesome in it's own way and unique of the others.  To say one course or experience was better than the other would be leaving out a part at a facility that was better than another and vice-versa.

I'll add this instead.  My favorite part of each facility.
Pasatiempo - being at MacKenzies chosen final "home", seeing his house and experiencing the full scale of his bunkering expertise
Pacific Grove - the back 9 in the early morning with the waves crashing on the rocks...awesome.
Bayonet - undulation changes on the course were a surprise in how much and how significant I didn't expect that.  Conditions were prestine
Poppy Hills - The pine valley / augusta meld was really cool, nothing like it that I've ever experienced.
California Golf Club of San Francisco - The overall experience here was amazing, the early morning sunrise, crisp cool air, the full caddie experience and the Kyle Phillips Renovated MacKenzie bunkers are to this date in my life my favorite I've found.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:29:17 PM by Ben Baldwin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back