News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Edward Moody

Opinions on golf near Palm Beach, FL
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Heading there next week and I've been researching some of the clubs around the area.  I've only played Seminole, but am interested to hear thoughts about McArthur, Old Marsh, Lost Tree, and perhaps Medalist.  I'm most interested in something I can walk, where there aren't a lot of homes in view, and the course has some architectural positives.  Playing a club where I might run into a few TOUR players isn't part of the criteria.

So far, and only having read some old GCA posts and some web write ups, McArthur seems like an interesting choice.  The club appears to have a low key and understated vibe, doesn't seek attention, and is all about golf.

Anyway, I've gotten mixed reviews on most and would appreciate any insight...thanks!

Robert Emmons

Re: Opinions on golf near Palm Beach, FL
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
McArthur, Bears Club, Old Marsh, Jupiter Hills, Dye Preserve, Medalist all are walking to some extent...with all the TOUR pros living in the area its hard not to see some...RHE

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
Ed -

How far are you looking to venture?  Loblolly is good.  Pine Tree and CC of Florida, both in Boynton Beach, are held in high regard here on GCA.com. 

W

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
Pine Tree, Loblolly and McArthur will not disappoint. Plenty of good Fla golf thereabouts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

abmack

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
Jupiter Hills is a must!

Dye Preserve is very good. All about golf and easy to walk. Great atmosphere.

If you can get on, Palm Beach CC is a sleeper, definitely worth playing.

Everglades club is good but short.

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
I've not seen Jupiter Hills, but, my brother, who lives in Jupiter and has seen it, tells me it is very good.

Jeff Tang

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
I haven't played all of those mentioned but a little north of Palm Beach Jupiter Hills is excellent and a little south Pine Tree is as well. For the area Jupiter Hills has some very atypical terrain in a good way.
So bad it's good!

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
Jim,

Your brother is correct!  Also, the Village course at Jupiter Hills is very good, and suffers only from being at the same club as the Hills.  It is a lot of fun to play. 

Edward,

For your criteria, I would recommend McArthur.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
I have played most of the courses that have been suggested and they certainly are top notch but if you want to try one that is flying under the radar try Emerald Dunes.  Yes, it was a public course at one time and there are many Fazio courses which we have issues with but ED is really good.  I understand that TF came back to the course and did substantial work before it was reopened and he comes back a couple of times a year to fine tune things.  I was told that there is one individual who owns the club and has deep pockets and won't hesitate to make improvements.  Yes, there are a couple of waterfalls that are a bit over the top but there is plenty of solid golf design with challenges and risk reward options.  And one feature I really liked were the rolling fairways which can produce awkward lies.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
And the best are, in no particular order:

McArthur
Dye Preserve
Bears Club
Jupiter Hills (not the Village)
Trump in Jupiter

Pass on the others
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
If you want to see PGA National Champion course, here is a precursor:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/PGANatlChampion/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Edward Moody

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »
Thank you all for the insight. Much obliged.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »
Cary: Are you playing golf again?  Can you really leave Pine Tree off any list of courses in that area?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back