News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Lochmoor, Michigan
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Club website suggests a Travis-designed course of 1917 built by a man called Sweeney. Cornish and Whitten mention a rebuild or alteration of some kind in 1920 attributed to Colt and Alison - no mention of this on club website. Is anybody able to confirm whether this happened? (Club server rejected my email to the professional). Many thanks, M.

Anthony Gholz

Re: Lochmoor, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Mark:

Because of my recent confirmation that Port Huron Golf Club is a Charles Alison layout, I'm researching a new listing of C&A courses in NA.  I'm doing this because all lists I've seen so far have questions.  I'm trying to develop a list that attributes each claim of whatever course, for whatever architect, or combination of architects, is claimed.  Lochmoor is one of those.  So far it starts with Ron W listing Alison as renovating in 1920.  It is also listed by Tom MacWood as Alison with William Connellan as builder.  He could not find anywhere that C&A claimed it as their own. 

Lochmoor's website lists Travis and Sweeney in 1917.  I believe this is John Sweeney Sr. who first comes to light in my research as "J.S. Sweeney chairman of the house committee" at The CC of Detroit in 1900.  Various lists have him as a member (and President) of  the CCD and/or Lochmoor at various times.  My interest is that he was the contact for Port Huron Golf Club's retaining Colt & Alison (Alison) in 1921 because of a connection with a couple key members of PHGC.  A PHGC member's letter identifies him as "John Sweeney Sr. Chairman of the Greens Committee of the CCD at the time" (1921).

My interest in Loockmoor is to find any further confirmation of Alison's involvement.  BTW William Connellan was an east coast builder who connected with Wilfrid Reid in the Philadelphia area and came to Michigan with Reid in the early 20s.  Reid was the head pro at the CCD as well as being a well known golf course architect.  I have yet to confirm exact dates of Reid's tenure at the CCD. The club's own materials are silent on dates.  Connellan is known to have worked for Alison on a couple of courses and Reid & Connellan were in partnership for at least a good portion of the 20s.  Their high point was Indianwood in 1927-28.

Hope this helps.
Anthony

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Anthony,

Tournament records show Reid playing from Wilmington in 1922 and Detroit in 1923. My guess is Reid moved to CCD in late 1922 or early 1923.  Design and construction of Indianwood began in 1924.

Connellan wrote an article for the USGA as greenkeeper at Grosse Ile in 1921. He helped Ross build Grosse Ile in 1919.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
Thanks Brad. 

I made a CCD connection and spoke with their historian 10 years ago, but he didn't have anything and the club history doesn't have dates.  I figured Reid to Detroit in 1921 to 23 and then to Indianwood in 28. Chicago by 31.  Connellan had several ads in Golf Illustrated and others when on the east coast, but I haven't been able to tie those dates down either.  Your information suggests a Lochmoor renovation by Alison in 1920 and being built by Connellan certainly fits those dates.  One might think Lochmoor would want to claim Alison, even in a "renovation" mode.

Anthony

Ed Homsey

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »
The Travis Society has a large file of information about Lochmoor Club in its file. It includes a Golf Illustrated article from February 1906, a Brooklyn Eagle article from 8/5/1919, an American Golfer article of Sept 1919, and several articles about John S. Sweeney 1917 and earlier.

Sweeney was a very prominent member, and "scratch" golfer of the CC of Detroit, and worked closely with Colt in the design of the CC of Detroit course.  He picked up many ideas of golf course design from Colt and wrote an article published in the Feb. 27, 1916 issue of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle that described the principles of golf course design he had learned from the design of the CC of Detroit course.  A Brooklyn Eagle article in 1919 described Sweeney's intentions in the design of the Lochmoor Club.  The 1919 article reported that "The Lochmoor course, now in its third year, owes its good points largely to Mr. Sweeney.  Walter J. Travis, who was retained as consulting architect, was so thoroughly in sympathy with most of the Sweeney plans that he endorsed them". 

It is speculative, of course, but I believe that Mr. Sweeney, who was very active on the USGA Green Committee, for several years, knew Travis well, and invited Travis to check out his ideas for the Lochmoor Club course.  We have no confirmation of the Cornish/Whitten claim that Colt and Allison were involved at Lochmoor Club.  If there is such confirmation, we would appreciate receiving it.

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

Ed Homsey

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »
No question that Sweeney consulted with Travis.  If only we could trace the specifics of that consultation.  Sweeney had some very definite ideas about the routing of a golf course.  Had some defiinite ideas about the bunkering of a golf course.  But, what did he know about the design of green complexes?  Was that the area of his consulltation with Travis?  I'm impressed that he called upon Travis.  For whatever specific purpose.
As a long time green committee chairman at CC of Detroit, including the original development of that course with Colt, I'm surprised that he didn't take it upon himself to design the Lochmoor Club course without any outside influence.

So, though it is clear that Travis was consulted on the design of Lochmoor Club's golf course, there are many unanswered questions, e.g. why didn't he call upon Colt?  Or, given the renown of his golf course design ideas, why didn't he just do the design himself?  without any other consultation?   

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
No question that Sweeney consulted with Travis.  If only we could trace the specifics of that consultation.  Sweeney had some very definite ideas about the routing of a golf course.  Had some defiinite ideas about the bunkering of a golf course.  But, what did he know about the design of green complexes?  Was that the area of his consulltation with Travis?  I'm impressed that he called upon Travis.  For whatever specific purpose.
As a long time green committee chairman at CC of Detroit, including the original development of that course with Colt, I'm surprised that he didn't take it upon himself to design the Lochmoor Club course without any outside influence.

So, though it is clear that Travis was consulted on the design of Lochmoor Club's golf course, there are many unanswered questions, e.g. why didn't he call upon Colt?  Or, given the renown of his golf course design ideas, why didn't he just do the design himself?  without any other consultation?    

Ed,

One can only guess, but given that Colt & Alison officed out of the Penobscot building, it is very unlikely that they would have entertained the request to "consult" with an amateur architect in their own backyard. Travis would not have felt the same business restraints, being headquartered in the east. To be sure Colt did consult with at least one amateur architect, George Crump of Pine Valley, but Travis's
 name appears more often in various collaborations.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:12:29 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Ed Homsey

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
I raised the question because of the relationship that must have existed between Colt and Sweeney during the design and construction of the CC of Detroit course.  However, just noticed info on another thread, i.e. re Sea Island, that Colt did not return to the U.S. after 1913 or 1914.  So, he would not have been availble to consult with Sweeney.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
What scholarship! Re-reading Cornish and Whitten, they credit Colt with a solo design at St George's, Ontario 1920 NLE. Is this right? I am nor trying to pick holes in the printed evidence or start a fight! I am involved in the centenary celebrations at Prestbury Golf Club (1920, England) and they are keen to identify overseas courses that really are Colt courses so that they might consider reciprocal matches. Simple as that.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Mark: 

The Whitten citation would seem to be an error.  A course in NA after 1914 (actually after Alison came to the US in 1920) would have to be an Alison course.  I also have not been able to get separate evidence that it existed.  Its also a question of mine whether the club would really give up a 1920 Alison course to build a 1929 Thompson design in the same city if not location.  Although the current design is given props by all.  Per their website the current St. Georges is the former Royal York Hotel course. They indicate property was purchased starting in 1909 by their founder with the course not entirely coming to thought until 1927.  Whitten clearly lists both the NLE and current St. George's in Islington so difficult to get that confused.  I think we need Ron for this one.

BTW Tom MacWood did not list St. George's in his Alison in NA post of 2011.  I'm currently listing it under the category of "somebody of substance once mentioned it, but I can't find separate evidence".   CA lists the course as well, but they, like us all, started with Ron's book.

Anthony

Ed Homsey

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
I have tried to confirm the statement, on another thread, that Colt was not in the U.S. after 1913 or 1914.  Have not found information to confirm that information.  Can anyone out there provide a reference either confirming the claim, or not?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
Ed:

In addition to the articles you mentioned above in the TS files, add in a Nov. 1917 The American Golfer article that discusses the completion of a 7,100 yard course for Lochmoor designed by Travis.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »
Ed:

Alison last visited PV in May and June of 1913 per "The American Golfer" June 1913, Tillinghast in GI May 1933, and others.  The most recent CC of Detroit history lists his last visit to the club as also in 1913 to "stretch" the course to over 6400 yards.  The CCD was a major commission for the company from 1912 through Alison's new course in 1927.  Alison revised Colt's course for several years before plowing it under and starting over with new property boundaries. The Detroit office remained open until 1931, probably only because of C&A's long relationship with CCD.  It would be difficult for me to think that Colt would come back to the US and not stop in Detroit. 

And then there was a war on.  Hawtree lists Colt as moving to East Hendred in 1915 and remaining there as the headquarters of Colt & Co. until his death in 1951.  By 1916 he was deputy Commissioner of a branch of the food Ministry. 

I have seen several references to Colt's last visit being 1913 "or 1914" but I have seen no first hand account, although Whitten does say "Colt also practiced course architecture in America sporadically through the war years."  I think he meant via the mails.

I'm interested in this same topic, as you are, and have not read anything definitive about 1914 regarding Colt's location.  But England, worrying about his declining business and a war, would be a good bet.

Anthony

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
A little follow up on Travis and Lochmoor.  No mention of Sweeney in this summary of initial plans.

Detroit Free Press (April 8, 1917)

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ed Homsey

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
Thank you, Sven.  We have a large file on Lochmoor, but did not have that article.  Interesting that it doesn't mention Sweeney.  Not sure what to make of that, given all of the other references that include Sweeney.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 02:10:47 PM »
Ed/Sven:
A couple more that flesh out Sweeney who was involved in several of the Detroit area courses.  DFP 7/13/19 and 6/11/1920

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
And finally Sweeney's Obit DFP 4/26/1935 

I believe he was a or perhaps THE prime mover behind Colt's coming to Detroit and laying out the 1911 course for The CCD and and also the totally new Alison course in 1926.   In addition, h[size=78%]e was also the connection to Port Huron Golf Club that first brought Alison to PH in the fall of 1920 and several times afterward.  For arguments sake, maybe he was the midwest's "Amateur" architect who the greats consulted with per Crump not the other way around.[/size]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back