News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Sweetens Cove Opens Today!
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
"After playing Sweetens Cove last week, I'm seriously considering that, should I reprise that ranking someday soon, it might very well challenge The Dunes Club for the No. 1 ranking," Ron Whitten, Golf Digest's senior editor of architecture wrote in an email. "Without question, Sweetens Cove is already one of the top 10 nine-hole courses in America."

"I think it's the best nine-hole course built in the last 40 years," said Anthony Pioppi, author of "To the Nines," which is a study of nine-hole golf courses released in 2006. "The most famous nine-hole course is The Dunes Club (in New Buffalo, Mich.), which is private," Pioppi said. "Sweetens Cove is a better golf course than the Dunes Club. "I"m re-releasing my book just to include a chapter on Sweetens Cove."

http://m.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/oct/29/golf-gem-arises-in-marion-county/?sportsgolf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
Ari was moving scarily fast at that stage, averaging under an hour for each nine hole loop... I don't think he was taking a lot of care with his putts!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
Ari will have to confirm my suspicion but I'm guessing he could barely see the hole when he was playing it. When I took that photo I had just arrived on property at approximately 6:45am and couldn't see any of the course other than what was there in front of me. Obviously he'd already played the hole...which is the 8th...had to be nearly an hour before I arrived because when I found him around 7:15 he was coming up 6 fairway, his 15th hole of the day. Funny how I found him too...a ball landed just in front of me and there he appeared out of the fog like Warren Beatty. ;D

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Did they leave the big tree in front of/ or near the 3rd green?

I thought I remember some talk of possibly removing it when we were there in the spring.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
Ari will have to confirm my suspicion but I'm guessing he could barely see the hole when he was playing it. When I took that photo I had just arrived on property at approximately 6:45am and couldn't see any of the course other than what was there in front of me. Obviously he'd already played the hole...which is the 8th...had to be nearly an hour before I arrived because when I found him around 7:15 he was coming up 6 fairway, his 15th hole of the day. Funny how I found him too...a ball landed just in front of me and there he appeared out of the fog like Warren Beatty. ;D

Or Shivas Irons!   ;D

Nigel Islam

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
The place great with actual flagsticks ;D have to make an excuse to go South again.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
Did they leave the big tree in front of/ or near the 3rd green?

I thought I remember some talk of possibly removing it when we were there in the spring.
the tree is alive and well!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »
"After playing Sweetens Cove last week, I'm seriously considering that, should I reprise that ranking someday soon, it might very well challenge The Dunes Club for the No. 1 ranking," Ron Whitten, Golf Digest's senior editor of architecture wrote in an email. "Without question, Sweetens Cove is already one of the top 10 nine-hole courses in America."

I'd be curious to know how many of America's approximately 4,000 nine hole courses Ron Whitten has played.  I would not be surprised to find a dozen hidden gems out there. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »

I'd be curious to know how many of America's approximately 4,000 nine hole courses Ron Whitten has played.  I would not be surprised to find a dozen hidden gems out there. 

Bogey

Whitten grew up in the heartland much like you and me. Don't discount his heart. Your judgemental crap bucket disappoints.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
John, I'll add you to the rather long list of people I've disappointed.  The real question is whether Whitten took an exotic honeymon.  I am too embarassed to post on your other thread given the rather pedestrian location of our honeymoon 30 years ago. 

Bogey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
John, I'll add you to the rather long list of people I've disappointed.  The real question is whether Whitten took an exotic honeymon.  I am too embarassed to post on your other thread given the rather pedestrian location of our honeymoon 30 years ago.  

Bogey

I wouldn't be embarrassed by taking the L to stay at the W on K street. It had to beat Terre Haute. Anyplace a fat man gets laid is exotic by definition.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:27:06 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
Just back from playing Sweetens Cove.  It is off the charts good.  I would make a special trip to see it, especially if you are in the Southeast. If you can pair it up with some other courses in the region, I'd make a trip from anywhere in the US to see it.  The best 9 holer I"ve ever played.  In the discussion for best greens I've ever seen.  Great walk.  Amazingly fun holes.

I struggled to find this information, so here it is...

2040 Sweetens Cove Road
S. Pittsburgh, TN
428-280-9692
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BCowan

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
Just back from playing Sweetens Cove.  It is off the charts good.  I would make a special trip to see it, especially if you are in the Southeast. If you can pair it up with some other courses in the region, I'd make a trip from anywhere in the US to see it.  The best 9 holer I"ve ever played.  In the discussion for best greens I've ever seen.  Great walk.  Amazingly fun holes.

2040 Sweetens Cove Road
S. Pittsburgh, TN
428-280-9692

Mac,

I missed you by a day.  Played tues nt (thee back 9) and first off Wed morning.  I agree with everything you said! 

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 07:26:47 AM »

2040 Sweetens Cove Road
S. Pittsburgh, TN
428-280-9692

I went and played Sweetens yesterday.  Amazing!  We played Honors a Course and then drove over.  Luckily, we finished nine holes before dark.   My only regret was that we ran out of daylight.  It would be a great day to show up I the morning and spend all day there.

Eric Smith

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
Was yesterday GCA Day at Sweetens? ;D I heard from the big Wardo that he too dropped by yesterday.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
Sweetens website is now live. A bunch of Rob's excellent photos of the course can be found here.

http://www.sweetenscovegolfclub.com
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Was yesterday GCA Day at Sweetens? ;D I heard from the big Wardo that he too dropped by yesterday.

Yet no one calls Bogey for a game.  :'(

Mike

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »

Mike

They forgot your real name.

Will Lozier

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
Headed up tomorrow morning for a full day of Sweetens Cove!

Tim Bert

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

Mike

When are we headed down?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
I dropped in and rode around the course with Rob; what a treat and I HATED that I didn't have time to play!!

They have not removed the No 3 arboreal obstacle but did prune it up too look like a "DR Seuss"tree in Rob's words
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
I dropped in and rode around the course with Rob; what a treat and I HATED that I didn't have time to play!!

They have not removed the No 3 arboreal obstacle but did prune it up too look like a "DR Seuss"tree in Rob's words

I loved the tree on three.  It perfectly bisects a green that must be 40 yds wide.  At worst it keeps the long hitter honest when going for the green in two.

Are the greens at Sweetens the largest in the country?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Sweetens website is now live. A bunch of Rob's excellent photos of the course can be found here.

http://www.sweetenscovegolfclub.com

I love Word Press and I love Elegant Themes. As far as web site choices go, bravo to Sweetens Cove.

I do find that the ninth hole needs a bit of variety in the image department. The ones they selected are all the same, in essence. No side angles, no rear looks-back, just over-the-sand angles. I'd also like a "next hole" button, rather than "to the top menu" for each successive hole telling.
#picayunedetails
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:19:36 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back