News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Sweetens Cove Opens Today!
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:18:10 AM »
Lots of GCAers have been following the story of Sweetens Cove GC in South Pittsburg, TN, near to Chattanooga, designed and built by architect Rob Collins and constructor Tad King of King-Collins Golf Design, and now operated by a company part owned by Rob and GCAs own Ari Techner. I was there last week as they put the final touches to the golf course ready for opening, and as Ari did his Hundred Hole Hike there - including about three hours of golf in darkness - quite unbelievable.

The people involved in Sweetens Cove are good friends and I have seen the course from fairly early construction through the near collapse of the entire project on to opening today, so I am not the most objective witness as to this project. But I'll say this: everyone I know who has seen the course has fallen hard for it, it has been a total labour of love from start to finish and the principals are all great people who deserve success. So if you find yourself in the area, get yourself down there for a game - USD25 for unlimited golf, their introductory rate, has to count as one of the best bargains in the game.

Congratulations to Rob and Tad, to Ari and his team and to superintendent Michael Burrows and his guys. All have gone through a lot to get to today. If there is any justice in the world, golfers will flock to Sweetens Cove and the whole project will be a huge success. They deserve it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matt Bielawa

Re: Sweetens Cove Opens Today!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:55 AM »
That's awesome.  I can't wait to make a trip down there and see it myself.  Congrats guys and best of luck!

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
SIAP - Pretty cool that they got some love from the USGA too!

http://www.usga.org/news/2014/October/Sweetens-Cove-a-Nine-Hole-Beauty/

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Niall Hay

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
Congrats to Ari, Rob and the team. The course looks incredible. Best of luck!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
Looks very cool.  Congrats!!

Will most definitely add it to my list for 2015/16.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:31 AM »
It's a great day for Tennessee golf with the opening of Sweetens. I'm most fortunate to live only an hour or so away from this incredible golf course and I couldn't be happier for the guys who've seen it through to this day. Congrats, gentlemen!

I was privileged to be able to assist in the tending of a few pins last Saturday for Ari's Hundred Hole Hike and took a few photos I'll share here as well. Ari ended up walking 145 holes Saturday and hopefully raised a lot of money for his cause. It's still not too late to donate.

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
Congrats gentlemen. Looks awesome!

Ari, 145 holes after the Long Island trip? You are a machine! Nice going and fun to play with you at Friar's Head!

Tennessee, it's starting to haunt me....
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Chris DeToro

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:52 AM »
what a great looking course--can't wait to get down to TN

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
The pictures look great and you can't beat that introductory rate.  Hope it all goes well, it is a real gem.  Can't wait to get up there and play the course.  Best of luck to all involved with this project!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
What an invredible looking course! I have no doubt that with Ari at the helm SC will be a huge success. I will definitely be making a trip out to see it as soon as I can. Also, great work on the flags, they look fantastic!

Rob Collins

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
Many thanks to the wonderful GCA community for their interest in and support of Sweetens Cove. Its not a stretch to say that the golf course would've returned to nature if not for this site.  We look forward to seeing many of you in TN, hopefully soon!
Rob
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Congratulations to everyone involved!

I visited Sweetens Cove before it was open while researching it for the USGA piece I wrote, and was mightily impressed. I've included Sweetens Cove in the new edition of To the Nines that is scheduled to be released in softcover in the late spring of 2015. Sweetens Cove is the only course that I added.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
Congratulations to everyone involved!

I visited Sweetens Cove before it was open while researching it for the USGA piece I wrote, and was mightily impressed. I've included Sweetens Cove in the new edition of To the Nines that is scheduled to be released in softcover in the late spring of 2015. Sweetens Cove is the only course that I added.

Anthony

Is Sewanee in the book?

It's close enough to Sweetens Cove that we are thinking morning and afternoon nines at the two courses during next year's Dixie Cup.

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
Ari, Rob, and Chairman Smith,

You guys have done such great work.  Can't wait to see it again in a week.  This course is revolutionary in more ways than one! 

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »

Is Sewanee in the book?

It's close enough to Sweetens Cove that we are thinking morning and afternoon nines at the two courses during next year's Dixie Cup.

I played back to back rounds at Sewanee and Sweetens Cove a few Sunday's ago. I expected they would feel very similar to each other and make continuous 18 but in reality the are very different. Of course, with the greens at Sweetens little feels similar. Who would have thought the mountain nine would have flatter greens than the valley nine.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Bill:

Judging by your question I have deduced you have not read To the Nines. I'm hurt.

To answer your question, yes, Sewanee is in the hardcover edition and will be in the new version. I had no choice but include a course that was originally co-designed by an Episcopal bishop.

Sweetens and Sewanee compliment each other very well.

Best,

Anthony Pioppi

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Bill:

Judging by your question I have deduced you have not read To the Nines. I'm hurt.

To answer your question, yes, Sewanee is in the hardcover edition and will be in the new version. I had no choice but include a course that was originally co-designed by an Episcopal bishop.

Best,

Anthony Pioppi

I recommend Sewanee, Sweeten's Cove and To the Nines to everyone.  Golf (and reading) at its finest. 

Anthony-looking forward to the new version of TTN. 

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Thanks Mark! I'm looking forward to it, as well.

If anyone knows of any golf media that would like to receive a review copy, have them send me their vitals, including title and mailing address.

AnthonyPioppi@gmail.com

Best,

Anthony

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:01:08 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 11:37:58 PM »
Bill:

Best,

Anthony Pioppi

Tony, I mostly read War and Peace over and over but will check Amazon for To The Nines!

Philip Caccamise

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
Can't wait to play it Ari! Thanks for doing something great for golf.

David_Elvins

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
Rob,

Congratulations, that looks fantastic!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
I can attest that Sweetens is awesome, I encourage everyone to run and play this thing. It's very, very cool!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back