News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pratt

Re: How many courses have you played?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Courses played: 310 (238 in Michigan)
Best: Sand Hills, Royal County Down, Ballybunion, Crystal Downs
Favorite: High Pointe (sigh), Kingsley
Best value: The Gailes--$30 twilight in July
Biggest surprises: Lawsonia (good); Forest Dunes (a good but nowhere near a great course) and Hilton Head (sameness of courses: I'll take Michigan any day!)
One More Round: High Pointe

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
I'm old so I have played a lot over the years.  I've played a little over 1400 courses. Seems like a lot until you hear about our own Daryl Boe and Terry Inslee.
My favorite courses are Musgrove Mill GC and Ballyhack
The best course is Royal County Down.
One course to play for the rest of my life. Cypress Point
Biggest surprise  Portrush Valley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:55:56 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Gray

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
Sean,

Afraid to say things are still less than ideal. Whilst the course is generally well manicured these days the set up is, on three holes at least, bordering on criminally ignorant.

Out of interest, which holes do you feel are odd? That's one thing which I've never really considered but then it is home and therefore just somewhat part of the furniture, so to speak.

Sorry to thread jack, people.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brian Finn

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
- How many courses have you played:
- What is the best course you've played:
  Prairie Dunes or Sand Hills
- What is your favorite course:  
  Sleepy Hollow or Plainfield
- What is the best value course you've played - on the normal visitor's green fee:  
  Yale or Wild Horse
- What was the biggest surprise - good:  
  Exmoor CC, an incredible course and club, about which I knew nothing before visiting
- If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be:
  Shinnecock Hills - I've walked it many times, but not played it...my favorite course that I have never played  ;D
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

David Davis

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »
- How many courses have you played:
  225 courses that I could remember off hand in 16 countries  - tried to recall this tonight. Not an easy exercise.

- What is the best course you've played:

Toss up between - Pine Valley, Cypress, Shinnecock, Old Course, Royal County Down

- What is your favorite course:  

Cypress - Shinnecock 2nd
Royal County Down = Favorite links
Merion = Favorite Parkland

- What is the best value course you've played - on the normal visitor's green fee:  

North Berwick end of March for pocket change.

- What was the biggest surprise - good:  

Merion 1st - Winged Foot 2nd

- What was the biggest surprise - bad:

Woodhall Spa #1 (13x the same tee shot) - Oakmont #2 (great course but a bit industrial (too big, too bold and extremely hard) (amazing clubhouse and guest quarters)

- If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be:

Cypress, no doubt I could die there. That's what people do, they go there and become members to die in heaven. My host in 2010 was 92 years old and became a member when he was 76. I bet it increases the longevity of your life just being there.

One more:

Favorite resort:

Bandon Dunes by a mile!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:59:11 PM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
Sean,

Afraid to say things are still less than ideal. Whilst the course is generally well manicured these days the set up is, on three holes at least, bordering on criminally ignorant.

Out of interest, which holes do you feel are odd? That's one thing which I've never really considered but then it is home and therefore just somewhat part of the furniture, so to speak.

Paul

From memory, much of the back 9 is odd; 14, 15 & 18.  In one way or another these holes seem forced.  Then of course there is the opening par 3.  To me the course feels like it should start and finish somewhere else as the openers and closers are not terribly memorable. Did the course start near 13/14 originally?  I also recall what seemed like a lot of odd ball mounds scattered about flatish fairways.  If I recall, the best part of the course is between 8 and 13 where some of that mounding is in your face, three short 4s (two of which are excellent) and a very good one-shotter. I don't recall the number, but a long par 4 adds some variety to this otherwise shorter section of Hayling.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rob Marshall

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
How many courses
   200+
Best course
   Royal County Down / Pebble Beach tie
Favorite course
    Harbor Town
Best value
   Bethpage Black $48 year before the first open
Biggest surprise-good
   Hideout-expected it to be good but left loving it
Biggest surprise-bad
   Kiawah Ocean course-I expected to get wowed and didn't
One final round
    Cypress point with my late father and my son. Don't think it could ever be better than that. Maybe an emergency 18 at Pebble after?

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Cory Lewis

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »
967. Do I win?
No. Cory Lewis is at 1,050+ based on this exercise last year:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,24913.175.html
Cory's related post on the journey:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52954.0.html
Thanks for the nod Howard.  Here's my updated numbers, most of the answers are in the thread I wrote linked above as well.

How many courses have you played
What is the best course you've played
Cypress Point
What is your favorite course
Royal Dornoch
What is the best value course you've played
Aspen Lakes-Sisters, OR
What was the biggest surprise both good and bad
Good-The Meadow Club
Bad-tie-Medinah #3 & Oak Hill(East)
If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be and why
Royal Dornoch-Simply the best

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:29:30 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
How many?
700??

Best course
Royal County Down/ Merion
Favorite
Depends on the day- Portsalon, Brora, St Enodoc, Narin and Portnoo. Fishers, Sleepy, Eastward Ho, Goat Hill
Best value
Midland Valley, Dunfanaghy
Biggest surprise-good
Eastward Ho, Merion (had high expectations for both anyway)
Biggest surprise-bad
Can't think of any-maybe Lake Wales-or what they did to Forest Hills in Augusta
One final round
Augusta CC-where it all began-maybe hit over the ladies heads again ;) ;D (it's my final round-what are they going to do-kick me out?)
-amd/or jump the fence and play the "summer loop" of 13.14,11, and 12 at ANGC again

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:03:04 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Charlie Ray

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
How many courses have you played:
  94  18 hole courses;  14   9 hole courses
- What is the best course you've played
The Golf Club
- What is your favourite course - not the same question!
Champions Golf Course.  Columbus, OH. 
- What is the best value course you've played - on the normal visitor's green fee:  2 answers:

1. Wailua Golf Course in Kauai.  Spent a few summers surfing in Kauai.  With a Hawaiian driver’s license the green fee to walk at peak time was $5.  Cash only.   The course has 3 ocean front holes, a good set of par 3s and an absolute joy to walk.

2. But there is another course that presents a greater value:  Bringhurst Golf Course.  The sign out front reads:  “The Oldest Par 3 Course in America.”  I have been researching this to see if there is any truth to the statement, probably not.  The 9 holes total a distance of <800 yards.  Shortest =51 yards;  Longest 120 yards.  The course is owned by the city of Alexandria, LA and maintained by a group of volunteers.  I hope to compose a course tour in the next few months.  Super fun, two greens that slope front to back, a wonderful place to play the game.  Two folks can walk 18 in less than an hour carrying a couple of wedges and a putter.  There is a frozen daiquiri stand across the street which can add to the experience.  The cost:  free.  Open: Thursday – Sunday. 

- What was the biggest surprise both good and bad.
Good:  For whatever reason I have never had a great architecture epiphany/insight while actually playing.  Usually it’s the next day when reviewing the course in my mind that I see things that are interesting.     
Bad: Realizing that playing a mediocre golf course for the majority of my rounds is a reality in my domicile. 

- If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be and why?  Good question, but I don’t have a good answer, at least not an original answer. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
How many?
700??

Best course
Favorite
Depends on the day- Portsalon, Brora, St Enodoc, Narin and Portnoo. Fishers, Sleepy, Eastward Ho, Goat Hill
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round
Augusta CC-where it all began-maybe hit over the ladies heads again ;) ;D-or jump the fence and play the "summer loop" of 13.11, and 12 at ANGC again

Jeff,
Portsalon?  I thought the scenery around the golf course was spectacular but found the golf course to be rather forgetful. The 2nd hole was really strong but that was about it. I thought the front was too tight for the severity of the heather and the back nine was pretty open and much easier than the front. I only played it once. Respectfully, what did I miss? I was there last summer.

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »
How many?
700??

Best course
Favorite
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round
Augusta CC-where it all began-maybe hit over the ladies heads again ;) ;D-or jump the fence and play the "summer loop" of 13.11, and 12 at ANGC again

Jeff,
Portsalon?  I thought the scenery around the golf course was spectacular but found the golf course to be rather forgetful. The 2nd hole was really strong but that was about it. I thought the front was too tight for the severity of the heather and the back nine was pretty open and much easier than the front. I only played it once. Respectfully, what did I miss? I was there last summer.

Rob,
Many well respected posters have disagreed with me on this one-so don't feel bad.There's at least one other in my favorites category that might make a reasonable person scratch their head.
Enchanting scenery, lovely town.
Simply loved the course-don't make me lose the romance by explaining why. ;) ;D ::)
Played it on three separate trips-opinion stayed the same
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
How many?
700??

Best course
Favorite
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round

Jeff,

Rob,
Many well respected posters have disagreed with me on this one-so don't feel bad.There's at least one other in my favorites category that might make a reasonable person scratch their head.
Enchanting scenery, lovely town.
Simply loved the course-don't make me lose the romance by explaining why. ;) ;D ::)
Played it on three separate trips-opinion stayed the same

Sounds good Jeff. I agree the scenery was enchanting.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:57 AM »
How many?
700??

Best course
Favorite
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round

Jeff,
Portsalon?  I thought the scenery around the golf course was spectacular but found the golf course to be rather forgetful. The 2nd hole was really strong but that was about it. I thought the front was too tight for the severity of the heather and the back nine was pretty open and much easier than the front. I only played it once. Respectfully, what did I miss? I was there last summer.

Rob

Thats a real head scratcher for me as well.  I liked P'salon and wouldn't mind going back, but favourite course? I was disappointed in that I expected the Ruddy work to be better by the way folks talked about it.  The front nine had too many similar holes between dunes with the harsh rough as a ready and waiting penalty and this is despite the likely two best holes on the course being 1 & 2.  I don't think I have seen better Rudy work than at Donegal and I think this is a better, more cohesive course than P'salon.  Still, its difficult to say which I prefer, but for now I plop for Donegal with N&P second and P'salon third.  That said, I think Rosa's OTM is just as good as any of them.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:29:36 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »
How many?
700??
Best course
Favorite
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round

Best value - Dunfanaghy - great choice Jeff - a place more GCA folk should visit - damn fine golf and light on the pocket.
Honorable mention - Channel Course at Burnham - £20 for all day play - surprisingly challenging golf and pretty easy on the pocket.

atb
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:09:27 AM by Thomas Dai »

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
   Have played the game for 59 years.

My total is over 1000, 14 countries, 47 0f 50 states. Played 103 courses in my home state of NH , 7 no longer exist.

Best course----Shinnecock

Favorite course---Cypress

Best value--Kukuiolono Park  (nine holer) -All day with cart (played 45 holes ) -20 Bucks- Eagled the 5 par 9th with a 40 foot bomb on last hole of the day, played with a husband and wife in their 80's -one of the most enjoyable days of golf in my life , for $20.-Kauai is an amazing place to play.

Pacific Grove, -1999- Was supposed to play Fort Ord but a buddy asked me to play with him at PG, track was a lot of fun and the views were great. Was pleasantly surprised.

Bay Hill --I was looking forward to it but it's a sluggers course even from the middle tees. I was exausted. Big let down.

Last round for me would be at Cypress, no explaination necessary.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Dan Kelly

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »
Not enough.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Evan Louden

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
I really enjoyed the exercise of thinking back on all the courses I've played.

# of courses - 97 (Turns out I'm in the same boat as Ed. Glad to know I'm coming up on a milestone.)
Best course - Pacific Dunes
Favourite course - Heron Lakes - Greenback
Best value course - Any of the Bandon courses in the off season.
Biggest surprise good - Whitinsville - I new it would be good but I was still surprised.
Biggest surprise bad  - The International - Pines - not really much fun to play.
Final round - Old MacDonald - because I'd want to ensure my final round was both enjoyable and challenging.

If you're interested in my list, here's a link to it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kvN7OHcmwK1HzsZZVK5NAxY3ehurE2cpo86zQEClG_4/edit?usp=sharing

~Evan

Cristian

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
247 in 22 countries.

Best: TOC
Favourite: Cruden Bay, North Berwick, Woking
Best value: Cruden Bay
Biggest Surprise (+): Ballyliffin Old, Dinard
Biggest surprise (-): Ballyliffin Glashedy

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
I have played somewhere between 750 to 1000 courses in the US and all over the world. Pine Valley is the best, Pebble Beach is my favorite as I played that over 100 times. I wish I could still play, but that was another younger era.

My advise to all is play em while you are young, cuz as you age, shit happens to your body.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
How many?
700??
Best course
Favorite
Best value
Biggest surprise-good
Biggest surprise-bad
One final round

Best value - Dunfanaghy - great choice Jeff - a place more GCA folk should visit - damn fine golf and light on the pocket.
Honorable mention - Channel Course at Burnham - £20 for all day play - surprisingly challenging golf and pretty easy on the pocket.

atb

Thomas
we paid $10 euro to play in the 14 hole open.
Charged us $15 euro to play all 18 ;) ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 02:47:48 PM »
atb
Thomas
we paid $10 euro to play in the 14 hole open.
Charged us $15 euro to play all 18 ;) ;D
[/quote]

Jeff,

we paid 15 Euros for 18-holes to play in the Dunf' open comp. When we arrived the only car in the carpark belonged to the lady in the pro-shop and when we completed 18-holes the only cars in the carpark were still just hers and ours! We didn't see one other person on the course. And the two further times we played Dunf' we didn't see many other folk either.

BTW, we paid only Euro-25 to play Narin & Portnoo in their open comp! It was much busier at N&P however.......there must have been at least 10 cars in the carpark when we arrived and just a few more when we finished!

Two fab courses for such a small outlay from the wallet. I wish both courses and all in the locality all the very best and look forward to returning.

Whenever I think of the quality of the golf, the cost and the wonderful location and friendly folk in Donegal I :) - I sense you do too!

atb

Mark Jackson

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
- How many courses have you played?

Approximately 400

- What is the best course you've played?

According to the rankings, Pine Valley

- What is your favorite course?

I go back-and-forth between Pinehurst No. 2 and Prairie Dunes

- What is the best value course you've played - on the normal visitor's green fee?

Coronado Golf Club - $20 twilight fee.

- What was the biggest surprise both good and bad?

Biggest surprise: Wolf Run (Zionsville, IN) - I always heard about how difficult it was and was expecting a slog. I saw firsthand how hard it can be on a higher handicapper (my friend did not play very well), but it was actually much more playable for my shaky, mid-single-digit handicap game than I expected. I really enjoyed the course.

Biggest letdown: Oak Hill East - I was not as knowledgeable about golf course architecture when I played it during college about 12 years ago, and expected to love the course based upon my expectations from its rankings and history with hosting majors/the Ryder Cup. The course was brutally difficult and, as a result, not very enjoyable.

- If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be and why?

While I have never played overseas, there is something about Royal Dornoch from what I have seen in pictures and read in various places that makes me want to play there, so I'll go with that as my final round.

Paul Gray

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Sean,

Paul

From memory, much of the back 9 is odd; 14, 15 & 18.  In one way or another these holes seem forced.  Then of course there is the opening par 3.  To me the course feels like it should start and finish somewhere else as the openers and closers are not terribly memorable. Did the course start near 13/14 originally?  I also recall what seemed like a lot of odd ball mounds scattered about flatish fairways.  If I recall, the best part of the course is between 8 and 13 where some of that mounding is in your face, three short 4s (two of which are excellent) and a very good one-shotter. I don't recall the number, but a long par 4 adds some variety to this otherwise shorter section of Hayling.  

Ciao  

To the very best of my knowledge the course has never commenced around 13/14, although the ferry clubhouse was once utilised more than it is today and it remains common for folk to get the ferry over to Hayling and start their round at 14. Back in the 19th century a round did commence further to the east and the original crude layout was once an absolute monster where an early bogey score of something like 85 would have been very good going. As for the current first, no visitors ever seem to like the first two holes and even some of the members would prefer that it began differently. I like the start but am in a definite minority. Much as I said before, to me it's just home so having grown up with an opening par 3 I simply never thought anything of it.

8 - 13, i.e. right out in the dunes, is certainly the best section of the course. I'd actually extend that to 5 - 13 as 5 is an outstanding par 3 and 7 a damn good par 5 with one of the best greens on the course. 6 is, in my opinion, overrated.

14 onwards is not so much forced as just not on the most interesting of land, being as it is the section furthest removed from the beach.

14 itself is currently not the hole it was. Once upon a time the drive was to an expansive fairway which teased you into taking on more to the left, towards the gorse, than you might really be comfortable with. The same width used to also get you thinking about the angle for your second as the hazard runs along the left hand side. All of that left hand side fairway is now left longer and all the strategy has gone, forcing you to simply aim at a 15 yard wide strip and hope to get it there or thereabouts.

15 has never been great but it's equally not terrible. The fairway, or what should be the fairway, is split down the middle by a ridge which should get the player thinking as to whether to go along the top shelf to the left or the lower shelf to the right. Unfortunately, not too much fairway remains to the left now.

16 is a good but tough par 3. Par is always a good score there.

17 should entice the low capper to flirt with danger down the left but should equally give the rabbit the option to play safe to the right and effectively treat the hole as a par 5, or at least that was the case until the right portion of the fairway was abandoned and the cross bunkers 100 yards short of the green were taken out. Now, much like at 14, you simply aim at a narrow landing strip and mindlessly hit away. It's one of the holes I'm particularly bewildered by now and I don't mean that in a good way!

18 I like. It's probably the most ordinary hole on the course but with the prevailing wind at your back, in the summer at least, it's almost a half par hole these days and I actually think it finishes the round off quite well.    

TO ALL - SORRY AGAIN TO THREAD JACK BUT DECIDED TO LEAVE THIS HERE IN CASE SOME OF YOU FANCY READING THE MOST MINIATURE OF  REVIEWS.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:45:20 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
How many courses have you played:
125-150?? I'm not really sure.

What is the best course you've played:
Has to be National. I've played it a few times now and it blows my mind how it all comes together. Runners-up: Cypress Point, Sand Hills

What is your favorite course: 
I fell hard for St Andrews when I played there in 2012. Planning a return visit in 2016.

What is the best value course you've played - on the normal visitor's green fee:
Goswick. Seaside links, superb setting, cracking golf holes. Tremendous value.

What was the biggest surprise - good: 
Dismal River (Nicklaus). Depending on what day you're asking I may say that it is my favorite course. I've been going out there for five years now and it continues to deliver thrilling golf in an otherwordly setting. Vastly underrated golf course.

If you were told you could play only one more round of golf where would it be:
St Andrews - I've yet to experience anything like the Old Course. The game's greatest stage in an idyllic setting. The ghosts are very real.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back