News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Bergeron

Baltusrol Golf Club
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing both courses at BGC last weekend. The experience was outstanding!

I would love to see some old photos of both courses to understand the changes that Rees Jones and others have made to the course over the years.

Anybody have old pics?

Gary Sato

Re: Baltusrol Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
There are quite a few photos on display in the clubhouse. 

The land had/has some really interesting undulations and movement that I thought was going to be restored by Tom Doak but I haven't heard anything on this for a while? 

The club is hosting the 2016 PGA which seems far enough away they could have done some work?

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »
Yes. I reviewed the photos in the clubhouse. They were primarily of the 'Old Course" pre Tilly or of players who competed in the various championships that BGC has hosted.
Tilly took six years to build the Upper and Lower. I would love to see Tilly's original course primarily for bunker style and placement.
I think the two courses at Baltusrol are exceptional but a bit too manicured for my taste. I favor less bikini waxing on the bunker edges and more natural growth. That being said I was very please with the routing.conditioning and green speeds.
Historic pictures please. Phil Young where are you?

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
Jeff,

This is from the Tillinghast Association website. It is the "slideshow" on Baltusrol.

http://www.tillinghast.net/Tillinghast/Baltusrol.html

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
  Having played both courses at Baltusrol a number of times and officiated at the US Amateur in 2000 ( Match play was on the Upper ), it's my opinion that the Upper is the better course. The Lower has some very good holes, no question but there is alot of repitition on the Lower as far as design and look. I still have a difficult time putting together the Lower course in my mind but no such problem with the Upper. The '36 National Open (Tony Manero) was played on the Upper and I recall reading that many players in that Championship (those who had played both courses) felt the Upper was the better of the two.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
I have only played lower once and I thought it was a very good, solid course. For me, it is similar to Bethpage Black with less drama and thrills. I am more fond of Plainfield and Bayonne in the area.

After reading Pete's post, I wish I had played Upper instead...

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Richard,

Just to further illustrate my point, I refereed the second round match between Luke Donald and John Miller's son, Andy, at that Championship. Luke won that match 5 & 3 and according to my notes missed one fairway ( barely ) and one green ( barely ) . JM walked with me the last couple of holes and we talked about the clinic that Luke was putting on and he said that this was the first time he had ever seen the Upper and was very impressed with the track. I walked back with Luke to the clubhouse after the match and he mentioned how much fun the course was and thought that the USGA ( AND WE DON'T GET TOO MANY PATS ON THE BACK ) , had made a great choice in having the match play on the Upper.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

SWolffe

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
Pete - that is a neat story.  I remember Mr. Miller talking about the 15th hole (shot par 3) and how that green was giving the players fits.

There are additional links on Baltusrol on the Tillinghast Association web page (http://www.tillinghast.net/). 

Best,

Stuart

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
I played Lower Course 10 years ago and really liked it.  Then this year I played both courses and really enjoyed Upper Course and did not recognize the 18th and did not like the changes on the 17th on the Lower Course. 

If I get invited again, I would rather play Upper 8 out of 10 times.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back