News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Advice on Australia/Tasmania.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:25 AM »
The local talent music scenes are excellent as well.  The Farmer's Market in Hobart has local musicians playing every block, and they are outstanding, as is the produce and local food products, and crafts. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_F

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »
At least the dollar is worth more now, making it a more economical trip for Yanks after 11 years of Liberal Party mismanagement in government.

However, Australia is still an eye-wateringly expensive place, so when you think you have enough money saved, keep saving.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 02:07:29 AM »
I think costs may have come off a touch in many areas, however bring a spare card for the green fees.  I am not absolutely sure as I don't have to pay them, but I suspect as a rich foreign visitor you wont be getting a lot of change from $300-350 at the likes of RM, KH and NSW.

Maybe not quite up there in Pebble Beach territory, but painful nonetheless.

Angle for invites from well connected Aussie GCAers, - guest fees a fraction of the unaccompanied visitor costs.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »
Michael,

Great to hear you're visiting us "Down Under". I've sent you a PM, so please let me know if I can assist with anything.

The Metropolitan Golf Club is hosting the Australian Masters from November 20-23. Watching the tournament on TV will give you a good feel for what to expect there. It is quite unique amongst the Sandbelt courses.

RMW and KH are non-negotiables.

Best wishes,

Ben
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Pavy

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »
At least the dollar is worth more now, making it a more economical trip for Yanks after 11 years of Liberal Party mismanagement in government.

However, Australia is still an eye-wateringly expensive place, so when you think you have enough money saved, keep saving.

Are you serious? Put the axe down and go and play some golf.

David_Elvins

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
the axe down and go and play some golf.

To be fair, his comment was no sillier than your recommendation to play st michaels.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
Michael,

Great to hear you're visiting us "Down Under". I've sent you a PM, so please let me know if I can assist with anything.

The Metropolitan Golf Club is hosting the Australian Masters from November 20-23. Watching the tournament on TV will give you a good feel for what to expect there. It is quite unique amongst the Sandbelt courses.

RMW and KH are non-negotiables.

Best wishes,

Ben

Michael, get in touch with Ben.  Many, many people were very generous with me on my trip in early 2014, but there is no way it would have been as great as it was without the time, effort, generosity and hospitality of Ben Jarvis.  And once you meet him, you'll see he's not as bad a guy as people say he is  ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Play RM-W with Mike Clayton. Afterward,have him tell you some Ballesteros stories over a beer or three.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »
Are you taking the big QANTAS 380 14 hours DFW to Sidney? Long flight.

how about 17 hours..not 14..but yep that one.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
Get Scott Warren to schedule the next GCA Boomerang at Barnbougle to coincide with your visit.  The highlight of my trip in 2011 was getting to meet a slew of great guys from half way across the world.

Also, make sure your clubs have arrived by the time you play RM.  Nothing worse than stepping up to the first tee at a great course with a rental set.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
Great information gents, I have been buzzing sonce pulling the trigger yesterday trying to organise internal flights to Kings Island and Tasmania and trhen back to the mainland.
Lokks like I needed another two weeks!!!
Just about got the schedule down now time to start contacing the clubs etc....

Thanks for all the great sharing, very much appreciated.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Make sure to play Woodlands in addition to the major sand belt courses. 

+1

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Okay my schedule of courses is..
Sydney..NSW +1

Melbourne..
Royal..Victoria..Commonwealth..Kingston Heath..Metropolitan..St Andrews Beach..National and Woodlands

then onto Kings Island and Taamnaia for the obvious suspects.

BHoover

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Sydney..NSW +1

Melbourne..
Royal..Victoria..Commonwealth..Kingston Heath..Metropolitan..St Andrews Beach..National and Woodlands

Should be a fantastic trip!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
I'd be interested in the logistics of how you are making the hops to King Island and Tas.  Are you going from MEL to KI by prop plane, then on to Tas, or vise versa Tas (Launie or Hobart) and KI back to Mel.  Can you share what the extra hop to KI costs?  I know you can do RT from Tullamarine to Hobart and Laun for $120 to 180 considering what baggage costs you have.  Just wondering what extra a KI would add...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
Michael, if you're up for a bit of driving, make the +1 in Sydney Newcastle. If you're not, spend an afternoon with Scott Warren at Bonnie Doon.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
I'd be interested in the logistics of how you are making the hops to King Island and Tas.  Are you going from MEL to KI by prop plane, then on to Tas, or vise versa Tas (Launie or Hobart) and KI back to Mel.  Can you share what the extra hop to KI costs?  I know you can do RT from Tullamarine to Hobart and Laun for $120 to 180 considering what baggage costs you have.  Just wondering what extra a KI would add...

Plan looks like...
Melbourne to Kings Island.....$210
Kings Island to launcseton....pricey at $280
Then Lanceston to Sydney for the flight back to the US..I think about the same $ region

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Are any of our intrepid golf travelers using AirB&B?  It looks intriguing.  I looked at some listings in Ireland.  Particularly if one is traveling solo, it looks like it is worth a try.  

Dick, Mrs. and I enjoyed our 10 day stay in a London flat a few hundred yards from South Kensington tube station.  Booked through airibnb without a hitch.  A logistical breeze and surprisingly affordable for that neighborhood.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »
Thanks Mike and Mike. 8)

MWP, that seems excessive from our experience unless that is for both of you, then about right.  Of course the KI side trip may be the kicker as off the beaten path.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:23:48 PM by RJ_Daley »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
RJ..no that is single fares with the flight from Launceston to Sydney being only $110.
Anything into or out of Kings Island is high dollar, especially the flight from Kings island to Taz.

I have tried all the local airlines..REX, King Isalnd airways and Sharp and those prices are all about the cheapest.
I can certainly fond moreexpensive, such as helicopter rides and other "charter" companies but for two people those prices are the best I can find.

Thers is a slightly chaeper flight from Melbourne to Kings Island saving about $40 a head but that doesnt leave until mid morning and as such takes half a days golf away and what is that worth ;)

With a trip of a lifetime like this that $40 isnt worth missing an extra nine holes!!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:38:03 PM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

Tom Kelly

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
Sydney..NSW +1

Melbourne..

Very jealous.

The pics from the work at Bonnie Doon look really interesting and Cape Wickham looks like it will be superb.

No time for Penninsula in Melbourne? I never got around to stopping by and really regret it. Next time...

Andy Gray

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »
Bonnie Doon is really coming along well at the moment. The ten new holes are a joy to play every time, and the three newest ones include two short 4's which are a blast. Conditions are great at the moment. It is well worth a stop if you want to see the capabilities of Clayts and the team on a beautiful, sandy and tight site.

Sydney..NSW +1

Melbourne..

Very jealous.

The pics from the work at Bonnie Doon look really interesting and Cape Wickham looks like it will be superb.

No time for Penninsula in Melbourne? I never got around to stopping by and really regret it. Next time...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »

I have been to Melbourne 15-20 times and I STILL have not had time for Peninsula.  That might be an error, but I've never felt like I wasted a day there with wherever else I was playing.

Hopefully I'll manage to get there sometime in the next 3 1/2 years.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

I have been to Melbourne 15-20 times and I STILL have not had time for Peninsula.  That might be an error, but I've never felt like I wasted a day there with wherever else I was playing.

Hopefully I'll manage to get there sometime in the next 3 1/2 years.

Tom, it's an excellent day at Peninsula.  Maybe this will pique your interest... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58043.html

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Bonnie Doon now officially on the play list ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back