News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Advice on Australia/Tasmania.
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
My dream trip is in the planning.
Tockrts booked leaving DFW March 25th and returnng April 12th.
About 3 days in Sydney before heading to Melbourne nad then onto Tasmania for the last 4/5 days.

Any advice would be appreciated about accomodation, we are more of the bed and breakfst type than the Ritz Carlton type.
Rent a car in Melbourne or not?
Where is the best area to stay for golf course access etc...all input will be much appreciated

Thanks ahead of time
MWP

BHoover

Re: Advice on Australia/Tasmania.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
I'm willing to offer up my services as your tour guide...ignore the inconvenient fact that I've never been there.   8) 8) 8)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »
Would love to have you there, anybody else in fact who is interested in meeting up....lets do it.

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
Does Australia allow entry to someone bearing an Arkansas passport? ;D

Have a great trip--I'm envious.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
Michael - stay southeast of Melbourne city for the best mix of access to town and the golf courses. Anywhere between St Kilda and Brighton will do fine. The only real flaw with this side of town is that it's furthest from Tullamarine airport. Car rental advisable from a golf pov.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
Does Australia allow entry to someone bearing an Arkansas passport? ;D

Have a great trip--I'm envious.

will be nice to see inside toilets again ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
I cannot believe it has been nearly nine years since I visited.  Others will have more informed advice but here is my take:

Definitely rent a car in Melbourne and Tasmania - maybe Sidney as well.  Take some time to drive around Tasmania.  I loved the countryside and felt like I was at the end of the world.  There are also plenty of day trips from Melbourne so you will want one there as well.  I enjoyed travelling by water in Sidney but a car would be helpful to get to Newcastle.

Make sure to play Woodlands in addition to the major sand belt courses. 

I stayed in St. Kilda in Melbourne which worked out well.  Those courses are so close together that it is a short drive from one end to the other.  St. Kilda allows you to avoid any significant traffic.

Oh - and the speed limits are actual speed limits.  I was driving a bit over them and passing everyone like they were standing still.  I avoided a ticket but was told I was lucky. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Paging Dick Daley who had a great visit recently.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »

Daryl David

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:59:34 PM »
St. Kilda is an excellent base for golf, food and nightlife. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Definetly stay at the lodge at Barnbougle, the food there is excellent. Should the lodge be full we stayed one night at the Bridport Beach Resort which was OK. Not a lot going on in Bridport, but there are excellent wine tasting opportunities. We took the shuttle from Launceston and back and had them take us wine tasting; they are better at dodging wallabys than we were!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark Pavy

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
In Sydney you must play NSW. If you have the time I'd recommend The Lakes and St Michaels. You might enjoy a day trip up to The Blue Mountains. Best place to stay for golf access is south of the harbour in the eastern suburbs. A hire car is needed.

Fly to Melbourne.
Hire a car.

In Melbourne you need to work out what courses you want to play, there are two distinct areas that are approximately 1.5hrs apart- the sandbelt in Melbourne and The Mornington Peninsula, you may wish to pick a few to play in the sandbelt and then move camp down to the Mornington Peninsula, don't miss The Old Course at The National.

Rather than going back through Melbourne to Tullamarine Airport, you could catch the car ferry across from Mornington Peninsula to The Bellarine Peninsula and drive to the Avalon Airport to fly to Tasmania.

Fly to Launceston, hire a car, drive to Barnbougle, stay there whilst you're playing.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »
My dream trip is in the planning.
Tockrts booked leaving DFW March 25th and returnng April 12th.
About 3 days in Sydney before heading to Melbourne nad then onto Tasmania for the last 4/5 days.

Any advice would be appreciated about accomodation, we are more of the bed and breakfst type than the Ritz Carlton type.
Rent a car in Melbourne or not?
Where is the best area to stay for golf course access etc...all input will be much appreciated

Thanks ahead of time
MWP

Michael,

I believe there are accommodations available at Victoria Golf Club, which is walking distance to Royal Melbourne East & West.  That would keep you centrally located for Sandbelt golf, which should also include Woodlands, Peninsula North & South, Kingston Heath, Yarra Yarra and Commonwealth.

TK

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
Doesn't Royal Sydney have a dormie house? Rose Bay is a nice location, very close to Bondi Beach.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29:17 PM »
I only have the one month long trip to OZ (3weeks) and NZ one week.  So I can't really say what other places are like by comparison to what we did in the way of hotels and transportation.  But here are a few things you might consider. 

From my point of view the Sydney public transportation system is second to none.  As a tourist, if you stay anywhere along the main inner city train line, you can get to nearly anywhere except a bit harder to Bondi.  Get the weekly pass and you can also go inter-urban to places like the Blue Mountains at Katumba Falls (a must see IMHO) 

Of course golf recommendations ought to come from our Aussie contingent on GCA.COM.  Follow any and all their advice.  I have never had a more wonderful experience than meeting these various gents on their home turf.  Given that your reputation is that of a very skilled golfer, I do hope you have a go with Michael "Pup" Taylor.  He can flat out play and loves his NSW and well he should. 

We took the train to Melbourne from Sydney.  I might suggest you fly instead.  The price to fly apparently isn't that much more.  The public trans system in Mel is also excellent.  I can not say enough for the Parkview Hotel on St Kilda, south fron CBD right on the tram line.  Best breakfasts of any hotel I've ever been to... And all the food tastes better over there including beef, for my tastes. 

I didn't find any need to rent a car until the day we left MEL  for a couple days on Great Ocean Drive, akin to our Oregon coastal highways.  It took a few days to get comfortable with the left side of road.  The wife never did and sceamed like her hair was on fire at every hairpin turn!  If you get to Port Fairy don't miss a chance to play the course.  It was my biggest scheduling mistake.

Flights are dirt cheap from MEL to Tassie.  I loved Hobart.  It is a bit like Portland or my hometown Madison WI.  If you can, check out Arm End and 7 Mile beach to see what hopefully will become among the worlds great golf courses.  See MONA in Hobart.  Drive to Launcheston and stop to see what Greg Ramsey is doing at Bothwell, the oldest golf course in Australia, with the agri-tourism complex.  It is a great slice of settler history.  Then a short drive to Barnygoogles and Lost Farm.  Play your brains out!  I would not miss a two day return to Hobart airport without a relaxing time on the pristine and nearly uninhabited east coast. 

I haven't nary one single criticism of anything we experienced in Australia.  The people are great!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
B&Bs tend to be high end in Australia.

If you are a reciprocal member the accommodation at Royal Sydney is very comfortable.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
A couple of good hotels near Brighton

http://www.carolineservicedapartments.com.au/Brighton.aspx?gclid=CK7OgNfmvsECFRcJvAodk6MAPA

serviced apartments right on church street which is full of retsaurants and cafes

http://www.questapartments.com.au/Accommodation/70/Australia/Melbourne_Suburbs/Quest_Brighton_On_The_Bay/Welcome.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=mapsquestbrighton

Over the road from Brighton Beach

Both are about 12 minutes from RMGC,

I have quite a few clients stay at the apartments and they work well

If you would like to PM me we can exchange e-mails on advice etc

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
Staying at Victoria I highly recommended!

Otherwise, I stayed at a Best Western (Moorabin I think), which was clean and very convenient.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »

I would do this and I would do what Adam Lawrence said as well.  St Kilda area is key for golf access but stay at Victoria too as it's a closer experience to a bed and breakfast.  I did both and would do it again. 

I would rent a car in Melbourne and Tasmania. 

I would not rent a car in Sydney.  Screw it, just take a cab to NSWGC.  Spend some time wandering the CBD, the Opera House, and go check out Bondi Beach. 

Play Royal Melbourne West as many times as possible.  I'm not kidding.

Enjoy the people as they are very welcoming. 

Where do you really want to play aside from NSWGC, RM, KH, and BD/LF?  You should play Victoria if you're going to stay there.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 08:30:19 PM »
I'd suggest spending time down on the Mornington Peninsula. Were it not for family reasons, it would be high on my list of places I'd like to live.
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

I would do this and I would do what Adam Lawrence said as well.  St Kilda area is key for golf access but stay at Victoria too as it's a closer experience to a bed and breakfast.  I did both and would do it again. 

I would rent a car in Melbourne and Tasmania. 

I would not rent a car in Sydney.  Screw it, just take a cab to NSWGC.  Spend some time wandering the CBD, the Opera House, and go check out Bondi Beach. 

Play Royal Melbourne West as many times as possible.  I'm not kidding.

Enjoy the people as they are very welcoming. 

Where do you really want to play aside from NSWGC, RM, KH, and BD/LF?  You should play Victoria if you're going to stay there.

I would love to see Metropolitan.    Love the way the bunkers eat right into the green surfaces.  Beautiful. 

mike_beene

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Are you taking the big QANTAS 380 14 hours DFW to Sidney? Long flight.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:13:39 AM »
Not a piece of advice, but a question: are you planning on playing the new Cape Wickham course on King Island?  I think it's supposed to be open by then. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »
Are any of our intrepid golf travelers using AirB&B?  It looks intriguing.  I looked at some listings in Ireland.  Particularly if one is traveling solo, it looks like it is worth a try.  

I would go back and say that we picked a hotel in Sydney that would be close to the train central station, so we stayed at the Great Southern, a block away.  It was adequate as we were never there except to sleep.  But, expensive for the dinky outdated room with a view of the rooftop air conditioners  ::)  But the busy days of world class sight seeing made the couple hours sleepy time in a cramped room well worth it.  Being a three minute walk from Central station was perfect.  A person could spend a couple days just taking the 50 or so ferry routes around the harbor and you'd say you had a great time in Sydney.  When they told me what some of the housing prices were, I darn near fainted. But tourist prices for food and beverage and cost of fun stuff was well within normal pricing.  

I'm half Italian, and I found a couple of Italian and Greek restaurants as good as any I have been to around U.S. or Italy. Melbourne has huge Greek Italian communities.  It is a good thing Melbourne is a great town to walk off all the great meals.  

And, the only deadly snakes I saw were in the Healsville wild life sanctuary behind glass!   ;D  I think Gray and Taylor were having me on when I nervously jerked my opening drive on first tee shot into left junk followed by third shot to rough on right where Micheal said there were 'browns' lurking there.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »
Meet Paul Daley and Greg Ramsey and Dieter Jones and Paul Mogford and every other Aussie and Tassie!
They all made my trip so much better than just the golf.

I stayed at The Victoria Golf Club in Melbourne.
In Tasmania - fly to Launie play Barnbougle, drive to Ratho, stay in downtown Hobart - while there you ought to try and see the Arm End site with Greg!

Picking the great courses is easy.
Have fun.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back