News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Smith

100 years since the Lido prize competition at Country Life
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
In1914, C.B. Macdonald asked Bernard Darwin to facilitate the famous competition at Country Life magazine.

We are familiar with the winning entry by Alister Mackenzie which has been published in numerous forums.  The second prize entry (which was submitted by Tom Simpson IIRC) has also been around a bit, and Macdonald also placed it in Scotland's Gift.

So whatever happened to the packages from all the OTHER entrants, and who were those entrants?  I am thinking this question must have been vigorously attacked at some point in the last 100 years.  Maybe the subject has been exhausted even by those on this forum and I am simply not well read.  What do you all know about it?  Surely a guy like George Bahto must have tried to uncover this data.

Here are the items I'd like to see addressed, and if any collection of guys on the planet can do it, GCA can.

**  There were 81 original entries.  According to CBM, 16 were sent to him for consideration.  Were the originals retained by Country Life, and if so what would have happened to those archives?

**  Does anyone have any images of the original advertisement for the competition?

**  If the drawings still exist, are they accompanied by other correspondence from the entrants?  That information might be as enlightening as the drawings.

**  I would really like to see the BAD entries alongside the good.  That would give an interesting picture of how the wider group of people thought about golf architecture in 1914.

**  If no one has really looked for these things in earnest, how would one set about doing so 100 years later?  Surely the various historians here can advise me, if they haven't already done so them.

**  Conversely, can anyone confirm that the entrants' packages were destroyed or were returned?

It could be that I am just a rube and all the answers are sitting right up at the USGA Golf House ready for my inspection.  Or, I'm a real idiot and there's an "In My Opinion" piece that I've flat out missed.  If so, somebody please rescue me and save me from further embarrassment.

But I don't remember ever seeing the other entries anyplace at all.  If they could be collected, it might be as interesting as the "course routing maps" thread.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: 100 years since the Lido prize competition at Country Life
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
If they did exist, wouldn't it be nice to generate computer images in 3-D.....

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Greg

Simpson didn't win second prize because he didn't enter the competition. The reason he didn't enter was because of a conflict of interest with Herbert Fowler being one of the judges. Nevertheless he did do a design which was published along with MacKenzies design and the designs for 2nd and possibly 3rd pace as well from memory.

Niall

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Niall is correct about Simpson's drawing. The 2nd and 3rd place entries were quite good. I do not have a link to the CL issue, but they are worth a look.

Bob

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
Niall is correct about Simpson's drawing. The 2nd and 3rd place entries were quite good. I do not have a link to the CL issue, but they are worth a look.

Bob

Also, Simpson's design and another of the runners-up WERE USED as holes on the Lido course.

DMoriarty

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
I can't remember the story behind the hole sometimes referred to as "Raynor's Prize Winning Dogleg.
Did Raynor submit a design to the contest?  Or was the hole based on the submissions of others?

If the former, so much for conflicts of interest.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back