News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

More news from Rosses Point.
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »
Details of the proposed changes (Phase 1!), which are surely more extensive tha origianlly announced?

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/10/20/dnedg44e628o5fu64573w8g1asfe51

and more on the background and the fact that an anonymous member is funding it.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/10/20/carne-and-revitalised-rosses-point-closing-in-on-2015-16-irish-seniors-opens

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

Re: More news from Rosses Point.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:06:48 AM »
I talked about this elsewhere but you really have to evaluate all these proposed changes to "classic" links courses on their own merit...

The changes to The Old Course annoyed me, proposed changes to Portmarnock make my blood boil, I thought I would be against the Portrush changes but am instead excited, I'm all for the changes at RCD Annesley.... And these ones at Rosses Point... Well these ones I considered wholly unnecessary and I couldn't understand them at all... Until I saw that they were chasing The Irish Open... so they now at least make sense, even if I don't really agree with them. 

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
Does Pat Ruddy have the skill and know how to do a good job?  The shaping on his links greens aren't particularly nuanced.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Paul

I haven't played the European but know quite a few that have and the way they describe it is the way Mr Ruddy intends Rosses Point to be ie. long and tough. Not sure that's going to bring in loads of visitors although I dare say he does OK with the European. As far as I'm aware the only design of his I've played was a new par 3 on the Donegal course which at best would be described as naive. Whether that was down entirely to him or the trainee greenkeeper who had to build the thing on his first day on the job I'm not sure  ;D.

The fact that he's tinkering with so many greens causes me a little concern. On the plus side I liked the fact he was planning to off-set a number of tees which is something I like as it makes the player think about both line and length when looking to carry on to the fairway, however it would appear all he is looking to do is create a dog-leg rather than a diagonal carry which to my way of thinking defeats the purpose and only pisses off the weaker golfer who can't reach the elbow.

Judging by the fact that he's looking at doing something to the remaining 3 holes as a phase 2 suggests that work will be fairly comprehensive and perhaps involve a rerouting and new holes ? If that's the case, and considering phases 1 and 2 together, would you still consider it a Colt design ?

Niall

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
Niall

Apart from the third it looks like he is mainly tacking on green extensions for more 'championship" pin positions..  I don't believe there are any new holes planned for 14-17.  14th is one of the best holes there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:22:43 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Thomas Dai

Re: More news from Rosses Point. New
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »
The detail within the Irishgolfdesk link that Tony provided has been reassurring in one aspect -

"4th — Par 3. Untouched." Yippee. A terrific hole, one that proves that bunkers are not always needed and that some holes don't need to be changed/'upgraded'.

The link also says that Royal Portrush have hired the County Sligo Head Greenkeeper.

Here are some pix and CS-RP discussion per a thread I raised last year - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56266.0.html

atb
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:39:19 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back