News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Re: Myopia Hunt Club - Photo Tour (A Few New Photos Posted - See #57)
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »
Jon,

Wow!  Spectacular.  Wonderful photos and at the best time of year I have to think.  Thanks for posting and sharing.

Brad,

Great commentary to go with the pics.  Thanks for chiming in bud.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
As Augusta is to most golfers in the country, so too is Myopia to folks who live in New England (if they have any appreciation for golf history and architecture). It's the white whale. An enigma. So few have seen it, even fewer have played it.

PS - Pebble Beach has preposterously good showers.

Rich Goodale

Re: Myopia Hunt Club - Photo Tour
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
Thanks Jon

I've played Myopia several times, most recently in 2012.  I would never call it a "great"course (GCA wise), but it is within my top 20 golfing experiences of all time.  Swinley (e.g) is a "better" course, but Myopia is by far a better experience.  IMHO.

Rich

Rich,
I found Myopia fascinating, unique, quirky, fun, strategic, variable and a blast to play.
What part of that is not great?
I guess I just was slightly underwhelmed at Swinley(no doubt a victim of expectations) , though it's certainly an outstanding course as well.

Jeff

To me a great experience (which MHC certainly is) is different from a great golf course.  Shinnecock from the tips is a great course, but I would not want to play it every day (i.e. a slightly flawed experience for me) due to its severe difficulty).  Painswick is a great golfing experience, but not a particularly good golf course,Sandwich is a great golf course but I would take the experience of Rye or Littlestone over it any day, etc. etc.  As per Bogey's great thread on Cypress vs. Troy, there is an impossible to overcome bias of history, eye candy,other people's "ratings" and snob appeal in people's assessments of golf courses.  I'm sure if you picked up Myopia is one solid piece and and plunked it down next to the clubhouse of the George Wright Muni in nearby Boston, nobody would ever wax so lyrical about its (rightful) charms.  But, there is a difference between substance and context, in beauty and fit for purpose, in GCA and all other things we hold dear in life.  IMHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark McKeever

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks Jon

I've played Myopia several times, most recently in 2012.  I would never call it a "great"course (GCA wise), but it is within my top 20 golfing experiences of all time.  Swinley (e.g) is a "better" course, but Myopia is by far a better experience.  IMHO.

Rich

Rich,
I found Myopia fascinating, unique, quirky, fun, strategic, variable and a blast to play.
I guess I just was slightly underwhelmed at Swinley(no doubt a victim of expectations) , though it's certainly an outstanding course as well.

Jeff

To me a great experience (which MHC certainly is) is different from a great golf course.  Shinnecock from the tips is a great course, but I would not want to play it every day (i.e. a slightly flawed experience for me) due to its severe difficulty).  Painswick is a great golfing experience, but not a particularly good golf course,Sandwich is a great golf course but I would take the experience of Rye or Littlestone over it any day, etc. etc.  As per Bogey's great thread on Cypress vs. Troy, there is an impossible to overcome bias of history, eye candy,other people's "ratings" and snob appeal in people's assessments of golf courses.  I'm sure if you picked up Myopia is one solid piece and and plunked it down next to the clubhouse of the George Wright Muni in nearby Boston, nobody would ever wax so lyrical about its (rightful) charms.  But, there is a difference between substance and context, in beauty and fit for purpose, in GCA and all other things we hold dear in life.  IMHO.

Rich

Rich, while I agree with your thoughts on bias, if you put this course in the place of George Wright, it would still get a lot of attention.  It is IMO one of the best designed courses in the world.  Public or private.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
Thanks Jon

Rich

Mark

You may be right and may be wrong, but we will never know.

Rich

Rich,

Jeff

Rich

Rich, while I agree with your thoughts on bias, if you put this course in the place of George Wright, it would still get a lot of attention.  It is IMO one of the best designed courses in the world.  Public or private.

MM
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Paul Jones

« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
I put Myopia Hunt in the same league as Shinny and NGLA !!!

Times have changed from the ole Rat and Plunger thread.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:44 AM »
Myopia is truly a special place and the course has charm that really overwhelms the senses in a very old school manner. The pictures really tell a compelling story ...an invite you should think twice to turn down. Another point about Myopia ... the pro Bill Safrin has been there over 30 years and makes a point to share the wonderful history of the club and the course with guests before their round. A gentleman in every sense. The people also make Myopia special.

Sean_A

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 05:17:11 AM »
Rihc

Out of curiosity, what are some courses you think are great, but not a suitable challenge for flat bellies?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

BCrosby

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »
I'm with Rich re Myopia. Having played it many times in college and several times over the last couple of years, it is a historically important course and a delight to play. The second hole is one of the rare remaining holes with cops, giving away its Victorian origins. The third is a classic full drive par 3. Note the pictures of the ninth above. There are other good holes. 

But what is special about Myopia is its setting, beginning with the drive down the entrance road, the stables, the clubhouse, the veranda around the practise green, the wicker chairs, the bar, the locker room.  You don't want to leave.

Bob   

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »
If this article is true - and for those who have played the course - have you ever detected any Ross touches at MHC?
(I half-thought of posting this to the 75 page "Willie Campbell and Myopia" thread, but there are only a few months left for winter reading.  ;)
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40810.0.html

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark McKeever

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
Interesting find Jim!  It reads that Ross was called on, but I wonder if any of his proposed changes were done.

Personally I didn't see or think Ross when I was there.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
The article makes it sound as if the club was serious about making changes, and Ross was right there in the 'hood.   

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
I agree with Mark - I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as Ross, nor did I think Ross while I've been there. If anything, the green complexes are in some ways anti-Ross (or at least what I think of when I think Ross), as there are many that are fairway height and without typical Ross contouring. Numbers 4, 7, 8 and 10 spring to mind as examples.

Jim - thanks for posting that article. Interesting read.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mark McKeever

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2015, 09:35:11 PM »
Agreed Jon regarding the greens.  So many remind me of taking a mower to a patch of grass.

Mark

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Perhaps he was there to add some yardage, relocate or freshen a few bunkers, change mowing patterns etc., which would probably be considered a "material' change at a place like MHC.

The time frame for those type of changes would fit, as the first two decades of the 20th century saw a tremendous gain in yardage due to the new ball.

Embiggen = 2 clicks

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »
Great tour, thanks for sharing. What camera did you use?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

John McCarthy

Re: Myopia Hunt Club - A Photo Tour
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
On number 10, where do the forecaddies stand?  Just over the hill so they can duck?  Or on the left side?  being on the right side must be like being in the batting box against Mitch Williams.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark McKeever

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
10 the caddie stands on the top of the hill to the left.  But they have to be alert.   Knowing what's down the right side makes a left miss popular. 

Mark

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2015, 05:25:28 PM »
10 the caddie stands on the top of the hill to the left.  But they have to be alert.   Knowing what's down the right side makes a left miss popular. 

Mark

Despite the forecaddies' best efforts, we never saw or heard from this poor guy ever again. He may still be in there.

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

David Davis

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:09 AM »
Re-bumping this for my own benefit (and that of anyone else who hasn't seen it) It's one of the better course tours on the site that Jon has put together with wonderful photos.

I have been extremely fortunate to have had my first ever go at Myopia last week. I think the club has continued with tree removal since 2015 which suits it extremely well. I caught it (and Essex) on extremely warm days with very firm and fast conditioning. Oh, what a joy! A wonderful course that probably goes straight to the top of my most underrated course list.

A shoe in for my personal Top 100. A few people have said that it reminds them of Garden City, from the perspective that it's an old course and from some of the slightly hidden bunkering I'd say yes, though the feel of the club reminds me more of the likes of Palmetto and I personally think the course is much better than Garden City even though I'm a big fan of Garden City.

Seems to me to be a lot more variation and it's wonderfully routed through the hilly sections.

Thanks for the tour Jon!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Hey David,

Great that you got to experience the Essex/Myopia swing.

Where do you stand on one v. the other?

I've played both of them roughly 40 times each, and I fall slightly on the Essex side.  Myopia is definitely a treat, but the quirk might drive me nuts on a day-to-day basis.  Once you finally master one of the quirky bounces, another rears its head.  I also think some of the bounces at Myopia are very firm-condition dependent.  They do a great job with firmness, but if the course is wet it's less interesting. 

Total splitting of hairs here too, as I have Essex as #1 in MA, TCC at #2, and Myopia at #3.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
Brad...good take.

My #1 (more than Cypress or Pine Valley) course to see is Myopia. Can't explain nor justify. Just need to see it-play it-shoot it.

rm
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Yeah Ron you should definitely give it a shot...when I was an employee there were 6-8 outings a year in the Spring and Fall so there are opportunities to play w/o a member.  I'm not sure which charities are still doing them but some searching around should yield results...a group of GCA guys used to go to one with a different lineup every year!

David Davis

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »
Hey David,

Great that you got to experience the Essex/Myopia swing.

Where do you stand on one v. the other?

I've played both of them roughly 40 times each, and I fall slightly on the Essex side.  Myopia is definitely a treat, but the quirk might drive me nuts on a day-to-day basis.  Once you finally master one of the quirky bounces, another rears its head.  I also think some of the bounces at Myopia are very firm-condition dependent.  They do a great job with firmness, but if the course is wet it's less interesting. 

Total splitting of hairs here too, as I have Essex as #1 in MA, TCC at #2, and Myopia at #3.

Brad,

Good question. So basically I've only played one round at each course and while I think both are excellent upon careful thought and re-examining all the photos I took I am leaning at having Myopia in my personal World Top 100. Essex would not be even though I think it's a great course. The front 9 is very subtle and naturally routed through the flatter sections on the course while the back 9 gets wild climbing up into the hills there. I loved some of the holes in the hills like 11, 12, 17 and 18. Though I just feel like the flow of the routing at Myopia, the great variation it offered with half par holes, the stellar par 3's and the quirky touches throughout give it the upper hand and help to make it truly special not just in the US but anywhere if we picked it up and placed it for example in the UK.

It was playing perfectly firm and fast which I love as well. But Essex was also playing that way. One thing is for sure, it's a lot of great golf only a few minutes away from each other.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
Thanks for the opinion, I'd assume the responses would be 50-50!

My favorite hole at Essex is #16, now made very difficult by the new tee up on the rock that makes it 450.  It has great angles and hazards, and the green has three very small ridges parallel with the line of play.

Favorite hole at Myopia is #7...the two tee angles give it plenty of variety, and the second shot is very links-like.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back