News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Phillips

Re: Ferry Point Pics
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »
I haven't been to Ferry Point so take my comments for the little they're worth - generally agree with Jay's views but his commentary here seems overly harsh.  1. the money is irrelevant...this is New York, the government has been involved and the project has taken years and years...as an architectural point I do not care what it cost.  2. The comparisons to Bayonne are interesting, though as Steve Lapper pointed out, not everyone is able to be paid to receive untold barges of silt to mold into a golf course.  3. Following on that theme, if Ferry Point had come first, and Bayonne was second, might Jay's relative preference be different?  4. (not to pick on Bayonne because I love it, but...) what is it about the vistas at Bayonne that one might prefer to Ferry Point??

Bottom line, Ferry Point seems like an engineering marvel, and it is IN New York City!!  I am thrilled the project was brought to fruition, and willing to live with it being modestly behind one or two other 'urban links' if that is the case.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »
Jay, It was great playing golf with you today and I'm sorry I had to whisk out of there to get to LaGuardia to get back on the ride, but Kate (Beckinsale) wanted to get home and we stayed an extra day, just so I could join you guys today.

Its funny, to be home here now and seeing those images from earlier in the day, how fast a G5 will get you back to the coast. Comfortable too!

;)

Tommy,

"C'mon, tell the truth. You and Kate were so offended by the Section Eight apartment buildings, lower-middle class row houses, cemeteries, and containment mounds at FP that you skidadled back after getting in that photo! It must have been soooo painful!  :'(

PS...no more landing at Burbank....now that you're on the other side of the hill, time to use Santa Monica!! ;D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
Jay
You seem to have a real problem with the cost of the project.   Would you believe that everyone involved with the project had strong feelings in that regard also.    You said this  was a Nicklaus/Sanford plaything?   Are you implying that they are primarily responsible for the outlandish price tag?   As a writer, who is expressing your opinions in print involving concerns like price, since you have mentioned it several times, where has your investigation led you concerning the reasons for such a high cost?  I would be interested in knowing where you are laying the blame, since you have only given that one inference.

Jim, can you tell us, ball-park figure, how much the course itself cost, apart from the environmental requirements?

Phil Lipper

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
The views of the bridges, the fact that it feels like you are playing in the city is one of things that I liked about it.  I thought there was something amazing and unique about the course and much of it is from the location. That was the feeling that my entire foursome had, no one was saying "I wish we were in Westchester playing on course surorunded by $3mm homes.

Kevin_D

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Why does the cost to build the course matter at all?  All that matters is if it's good (especially compared to other public options nearby), and what the price to play it is.

As to the price to play, if it's $150 then it is for sure a premium to other NYC public courses (which if memory serves right are around $40-50 or so on a weekend?), and even to the wonderful Bethpage Black at $85 or so.  But remember, the NYC public courses are generally nowhere near great courses, and most are not even "good", and are PACKED on weekends. if you start after 7am you should be happy with a 5 hour round.

Similarly, Bethpage Black is a bargain, but is nearly impossible to get on since the price is artificially low, instead of rising to meet demand (and the number of rounds you can book there per month is restricted).  It's also a solid hour from Manhattan, sometimes much more if traffic is bad.

I haven't seen Ferry Point (other than driving by and flying over) but based on these pictures, and assuming the course is maintained very well (as are most Trump courses), the course certainly seems to deserve its premium pricing to your typical NYC public fare.  I know if I were still playing pub links around the city I'd certainly hit it up at least once a month.  Plus, it is very close to Manhattan, and presumably accessible via public transportation somehow.

One other point: Pound Ridge is also not close to Manhattan, and many have expressed issues with its design and playability (I haven't played it) - and it's $210 on a weekend.  Ferry Point seems like a bargain by comparison!

So go ahead and debate the course's merits, or lack thereof.  I'll reserve judgement until I play it.  But the cost to build is irrelevant (and as mentioned, most of that has to do with environmental cleanup), and the cost per round seems pretty in-line with market to me.

B.Ross

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »
Jay,

I believe we may have met once like 5 years ago at Inwood Country Club.

Having said that, let me give you my feelings on Ferry Point as a 28 year old NYC native (much like Jaeger) who played his HS golf @ Dyker Beach and considers Split Rock the finest NYC course of them al, and remembers when the Ferry Point rumors first begun during the Giuliani administrationl:

- i can't wait for this place to open. okay so it's not what trump promised, but it's a truly challenging golf course that any NYC native can get on. I think the views are fine, you're in the Bronx, gotta live & let live there.
- I hope FP is smart and staggers the pricing, much like the black & red do: I feel like $80 for NYC Native, $120 for NY STate Native, $140 for nj/ct native & $175 for internationls & 47 other states would make a lot of sense. I hope FP does this to keep the hacks & 6 hour rounders away.
- my 1 gripe is that much like pelham bay / split rock, the course isn't greatly accessed by subway/bus.

a couple other questions:
- Jay you said you got on as a MGA Writer. For everyone else who's played FP already, how did you get on?
- follow up question is obviously, anyone want to help me get on this fall? We'll trade you a round or two at my club as barter for access.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Jay,

I believe we may have met once like 5 years ago at Inwood Country Club.

Having said that, let me give you my feelings on Ferry Point as a 28 year old NYC native (much like Jaeger) who played his HS golf @ Dyker Beach and considers Split Rock the finest NYC course of them al, and remembers when the Ferry Point rumors first begun during the Giuliani administrationl:

- i can't wait for this place to open. okay so it's not what trump promised, but it's a truly challenging golf course that any NYC native can get on. I think the views are fine, you're in the Bronx, gotta live & let live there.
- I hope FP is smart and staggers the pricing, much like the black & red do: I feel like $80 for NYC Native, $120 for NY STate Native, $140 for nj/ct native & $175 for internationls & 47 other states would make a lot of sense. I hope FP does this to keep the hacks & 6 hour rounders away.
- my 1 gripe is that much like pelham bay / split rock, the course isn't greatly accessed by subway/bus.

a couple other questions:
- Jay you said you got on as a MGA Writer. For everyone else who's played FP already, how did you get on?
- follow up question is obviously, anyone want to help me get on this fall? We'll trade you a round or two at my club as barter for access.

Regardless of the pricing, I hope city residents are at least given some type of priority membership option to purchase—with earlier booking access, weekend tee time blocks, periodic tournaments/league play, or discounted rates. I hope they do something to try to build a strong community of local golfers and give residents some sense of belonging.

I have no illusions that rates will be priced relatively high, even for residents. My worry is that they get priced so high ($175-$250) that it becomes just another CCFAD filled with guys who are taking a weekend off from the country club or trying something other than Pound Ridge.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:55:31 PM by Mark Fedeli »
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
Jay, It was great playing golf with you today and I'm sorry I had to whisk out of there to get to LaGuardia to get back on the ride, but Kate (Beckinsale) wanted to get home and we stayed an extra day, just so I could join you guys today.

Its funny, to be home here now and seeing those images from earlier in the day, how fast a G5 will get you back to the coast. Comfortable too!

;)

Tommy,

"C'mon, tell the truth. You and Kate were so offended by the Section Eight apartment buildings, lower-middle class row houses, cemeteries, and containment mounds at FP that you skidadled back after getting in that photo! It must have been soooo painful!  :'(

PS...no more landing at Burbank....now that you're on the other side of the hill, time to use Santa Monica!! ;D

Steve, Yes! Santa Monica is the far superior private jetport!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:38:51 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
Tommy,

Glad to hear you were actually with Kate B. Someone was spreading a rumor you were hanging out with Kate Upton.

Very happy this was straightened out!
Tim Weiman

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »
Haven't learned much about Ferry Point's architecture from this thread but I have learned that Jay is a Met Golf Writer who has played Garden City, Rockaway Hunt Club, Bayonne, Old Towne and St. George's and has unfettered access to both Ran and Tom Doak.  This has only whetted my appetite to know what he is preparing for Thanksgiving dinner this year since the Game of Thrones Cookbook is so 2013.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:41 AM »
Tommy,

Glad to hear you were actually with Kate B. Someone was spreading a rumor you were hanging out with Kate Upton.

Very happy this was straightened out!

Tim,
So many women, so little time!  It affects my golf game something dear.  So bad, I can't even remember a single hole at Ferry Point! :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:22 AM »
Haven't learned much about Ferry Point's architecture from this thread but I have learned that Jay is a Met Golf Writer who has played Garden City, Rockaway Hunt Club, Bayonne, Old Towne and St. George's and has unfettered access to both Ran and Tom Doak.  This has only whetted my appetite to know what he is preparing for Thanksgiving dinner this year since the Game of Thrones Cookbook is so 2013.

Bogey

He also has a sore rotator cuff, but that's a story for another thread...

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »
Haven't learned much about Ferry Point's architecture from this thread but I have learned that Jay is a Met Golf Writer who has played Garden City, Rockaway Hunt Club, Bayonne, Old Towne and St. George's and has unfettered access to both Ran and Tom Doak.  This has only whetted my appetite to know what he is preparing for Thanksgiving dinner this year since the Game of Thrones Cookbook is so 2013.

Bogey

He also has a sore rotator cuff, but that's a story for another thread...

Now, now boys.  Lets not be passive-aggressive.  If you have something to say stand up and say it. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
I drove by FP a few weeks ago whilst crossing the BWB to visit Connecticut.  Looked like an OK faux links course, but I wondered how one could actually get there and back without the use of a jet pack on one's back.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill Brightly

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »
I really do not want to get into a debate about costs, but since Jay has thrown the $236 Million number out there, we should know that this includes $55 million for 30 acres of adjacent new parkland and a waterfront esplanade. And an incredible amount of money was spent on the excavation and removal of municipal solid waste and other environmental remediation as mandated by environmental standards. As previously mentioned, this money would have been spent if the site was going to be used for ANYTHING.

Is the news REALLY that a long-term public project in NYC had huge cost overruns? Perhaps. But I am happy that a waste site was remediated and there is another public course golf option in NYC. The $150 weekend greens fee may seem high, but I believe the marketplace will determine the final price, as it should.

So let's start the real debate that we should be having on GCA.COM. How good is the course?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:15:21 AM by Bill Brightly »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Definitely looking forward to driving around the area when I'm in NY for the upcoming holidays...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
Kudo's to The Trump Organization for figuring out how to get the NYC Parks Dept to be realistic on pricing. The original RFP permitted greens fees to be above the other NYC parks courses, but not by this percentage.

Best of luck to them.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 01:54:43 PM »
I really do not want to get into a debate about costs, but since Jay has thrown the $236 Million number out there, we should know that this includes $55 million for 30 acres of adjacent new parkland and a waterfront esplanade. And an incredible amount of money was spent on the excavation and removal of municipal solid waste and other environmental remediation as mandated by environmental standards. As previously mentioned, this money would have been spent if the site was going to be used for ANYTHING.

Is the news REALLY that a long-term public project in NYC had huge cost overruns? Perhaps. But I am happy that a waste site was remediated and there is another public course golf option in NYC. The $150 weekend greens fee may seem high, but I believe the marketplace will determine the final price, as it should.

So let's start the real debate that we should be having on GCA.COM. How good is the course?

Bill

I am afraid the pix don't entice me to worry too much about the architecture given the green fee.  Do you see anything that would entice you to pay $150 and up for a pop?

Put me down as one who thinks that sort of pricing for an NYC muni is stupid.  The project has already succeeded in the clean up.  Is there some compelling reason why the city felt it had to allow a firm to charge top whack pricing? 

Sorry, I have a lot of time for the clean-up and little time for the course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jason Thurman

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
Top whack pricing? It's New York. A pint of domestic swill costs $11.

In a city with a cost of living that doubles the majority of major cities in the US outside the Pacific time zone, a $150 green fee is comparable roughly to an $80 or $90 fee elsewhere. It's still high for a municipal course, but hardly "top whack." I suspect the demand will reflect that it's priced fairly enough.

Also, remember that courses like this almost always have deals for off-peak play. I'd be surprised if there aren't twilight, early season, and late season rates that make for more reasonable opportunities to play the course.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 04:52:44 PM »

In a city with a cost of living that doubles the majority of major cities in the US outside the Pacific time zone, a $150 green fee is comparable roughly to an $80 or $90 fee elsewhere. It's still high for a municipal course, but hardly "top whack." I suspect the demand will reflect that it's priced fairly enough.

Also, remember that courses like this almost always have deals for off-peak play. I'd be surprised if there aren't twilight, early season, and late season rates that make for more reasonable opportunities to play the course.

So that means people in Brooklyn have more money for a $150 game of golf?  You have lost me with the cost of living argument.  I also think an $80 or $90 game of muni golf is well beyond average.  Sooooo, at $150, Ferry Point is gonna have to be very special.  Is it?

Ciao

Steve Lapper

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »

So that means people in Brooklyn have more money for a $150 game of golf?  You have lost me with the cost of living argument.  I also think an $80 or $90 game of muni golf is well beyond average.  Sooooo, at $150, Ferry Point is gonna have to be very special.  Is it?

Ciao

Sean,

I don't have a clue as to where you reside, but if one were to use the free-market to determine a price for public golf only 10-20 minutes from one of the greatest concentrations of consumable income and wealth on this planet and then factor even the base cost of land for such an endeavor, $150 might well look like a bargain! Your argument about the pricing is specious and borderline silly.

Let's establish a few parameters before further delving into whether it's "very special," or not. NYC Parks & Recreation will set the baseline values for NYC resident, NY State resident and out-of-state play. No doubt, it'll be a sliding scale wedded to time and date. No doubt, Trump will add other charges (i.e. cart, range balls, forecaddies, etc...). I'd not at all be surprised if airline-like yield pricing was practiced here as well. Regardless, and no matter what is charged, the city will have a negative ROI for decades if not centuries to come.

Look at the local competition. Anything of some quality in the surrounding 40 miles is pricey, and or very difficult to reserve. Let's eliminate Bethpage Black as it's nearly alway fully-booked despite having some availability for those looking for golf's version of the dawn-patrol tailgate. Crystal Springs, Ballyowen, The Mansion at Chestnut Ridge, Pound Ridge or Centennial are probably the only legitimate apple-to-apple comparisons and they are all premium-priced.

It's a fact that densely-populated urban metropolitan areas cannot provide any contemporary municipal golf anywhere near the #'s you pretend to think reasonable.

Now look at the potential user base of over 10+ million people living  (I have no idea what percentage are ardent golfers using public golf facilities) within those 40 miles and divide it by the # of available public courses. Shockingly small relative to many other locales, and especially those dotted with CCFAD's charging north of $100. By now you see the point. Ferry Point is a welcome addition to an overpopulated, underserved, public golf market.

Is Ferry Point very special? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think it's great fun to play and whilst not to be confused with Bethpage or Chambers Bay, it is a very successful effort at converting a dead-flat butt-ugly waste dump into something useful and most certainly will earn a spot into any discussion of better contemporary municipal golf.

Recently, a fair number of folks who are quite experienced with GCA, and used to consistently contribute to this site, played Ferry Point and all thought it a reasonably fun and worthy venue (don't expect all of them to post here as many have left for good reason).  A few won't ever go there for personal reasons related to NYC's history of under supporting other courses or the operators self-promotion. Others who played it when I did, posted a while back and were unanimously impressed. Will it be good enough for you? Who knows? Try it for yourself and see, or condemn it sight unseen and declare yourself the Warren Buffett of the golfing public or better yet, the arbiter of all things pictured in two dimensions.

I'll top on the record on one thing though....at $150 it's definitely a bargain for that artisan-biscuit, triple-latte, Brooklyn-based bohemian who is paying $3500 per month for a studio loft in Williamsburg! :D

Cheers

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Keith Phillips

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
If the course is 'good and fun', $150 is a steal in NYC - there isn't a private club within 20 miles that one can join for under $15k/year (all-in), plus there is no initiation fee - can't attest to the quality of the course, but (if the travel logistics are manageable) I expect tee times will be difficult to come by!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
I don't think I've actually lost you, Sean. I don't believe you're dumb, and you haven't lived outside the US so long to have forgotten the law of supply and demand.

If Ferry Point is truly overpriced, the market won't bear the rate they are asking. If you truly believe that they're overcharging, surely you're willing to back it up. What would you like to wager that their peak in-season rate falls below $140 in the next two years? I'm betting it'll stay where it is or go up. Is it "very special"? I suspect it is special enough to draw players who want an upscale golf experience in the middle of the city.

Now, if you're just ethically uncomfortable with the rate they're asking for a course that was largely paid for with taxpayer dollars, then that's a different discussion and I can get on board with that.

The pricing conversation does make me think of another course that looks a lot like Ferry Point, at least in photos. Arcadia Bluffs is over-mounded in the rough areas, jarringly flat in the fairways, extraordinarily scenic, more expensive than I'd like it to be, highly corporate in atmosphere, and pretty damn fun to play. Ferry Point looks similarly overshaped and I think I would equally enjoy the surrounding visuals, even though they're quite different from those at Arcadia. My initial impression is that it looks more like a course that fancies itself as a "test of golf" than Arcadia, which I consider more openly quirky and playful in its design character. Arcadia certainly would never host a professional event with its occasionally outlandish holes, and I suspect I wouldn't enjoy the seriousness of the golf at Ferry Point as much as I enjoy Arcadia's willingness to get a bit out into left field. Nevertheless, I think I'd be happy to play it if I could catch a twilight or late-season deal and wanted to play golf in New York. Likewise, I happily played Arcadia Bluffs for $80 at the end of summer last year and would gladly do it again.

Having only seen photos so far though, that's all I can really say.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

archie_struthers

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »
 ??? :'( ::)

237 Million , are you kidding me ?  Can I hope that this wasn't a taxpayer funded boondoggle , someone tell me it wasn't .  I will hold my thoughts til I know the truth about funding . Will someone respond.?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »
??? :'( ::)

237 Million , are you kidding me ?  Can I hope that this wasn't a taxpayer funded boondoggle , someone tell me it wasn't .  I will hold my thoughts til I know the truth about funding . Will someone respond.?

Archie,

Tough to say that's the real #.....Only the green eye-shaded dude buried under the 17th green knows for sure. Until recently, it was a clusterfcuk of epic proportions, spanning over decades and different administrations.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back